Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #11

Re: new guy looking for some answers

Jerosh,

a gaucho couch makes into a bed.

Angel

2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #12

Thanks Angel, I kind of thought that but I wasn't sure--Joe.
joerosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kripper10
I also looked at the pop-top sprinters before mine, however, you can not stand up in the vehicle without the top popped.
That depends how tall you are (or are not!). The SMB poptop adds 2" to the stock interior height of the standard top sprinter van so if you are 69 inches or less, you can stand completely upright in it without the top popped. Since I am 68", this was a significant "feature" I was looking for in my van as it allows stealthy/winter/bad weather (top down) camping without constant stooping/knuckle dragging. Shoot, it comes in handy anytime you are in the van with top down.

But if you are counting on using the PH top and the bed to sleep more then 2, then obviously you gotta pop the top. It may be possible, especially with kids, to sleep 4 in a 144" van without the top up/PH bed, but I would imagine that would take some special floor plan (with more potential beds) or require utilizing the front seats (bed across them) and/or the van floor for additional beds (in a 50 model). The latter would probably be less then ideal in the long run.

kripper's other points are all good too... It all just points to really taking the time to think about you will use the rig most of the time. And, as I think already noted, if you can look at some examples, that really helps. When I flew out to Fresno to check em out, once I saw I was able to stand in the SMB PH Sprinter, with the the top down, I was ready to give them a deposit on the spot!

Rare do I find the advantage of not being a 6 footer so I just had to speak up!

2008 Sprinter RB50 PH top
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #14

Great point Monkey Boy! I didn't realize that the cutoff was 68" (or 5' 6.5" )I am 6 even, so I didn't even look into the poptop. Also, when he PM'd me, he was interested in doing the pop-top on the high roof, and I informed him that that was not even a possibility. SMB only has it engineered for the low roof. Sure wish I knew about this site before making my first mistakes! There is a wealth of knowledge and ideas. Not that any of us made mistakes, just not the greatest decisions. What the heck, there's always SMB #2 in everyones future!
kripper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #15

My 144" high top 2008 Sprinter is currently being converted by Sportsmobile Texas. I do not have any completed pictures as yet. They have been great as my conversion has some interesting innovations- like a shower pan in a built up floor, so you do not need a permanent area for the shower. When I get the van I will post some pictures on this site. Good luck. Sportsmobile will build EXACTLY what you want.

Sinbad
Old 01-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #16

Thanks Sinbad. looking forward to seeing the finished product. So i take it you bought your own Sprinter and took it to SMB to do the conversion. Do you think you saved substantially doing it this way? New Sprinter on the SMB W lot is (approx) 80k post conversion - 40k conversion = 40k new pre-conversion.

28003D VIN# 247669 Dodge Sprinter
Price: $81,515
Engine: 3.0L Mercedes Diesel
Seats: 5 Sleeps: 4
RB 150S also includes: Refrigerator; Microwave; 2000W Inverter; Electric Penthouse Top; Leather Seats; Furnace; Stove; Exterior Shower; Flat Plate Water Heater.
johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #17

Hi,

Yes, I bought a Sprinter in California last Fall and had it shipped to Texas. I suggest you look on Commercial Truck Trader.com for van. I got a 144" wheelbase van and my conversion is like a RB150S with the pull forward couch elminated and a sideways 3' dinette added. This gives a 69" wide x 75" long bed. I have a fixed top because I have had 4 pop top campers over the last 25 years. I wanted to be able to have extra insulation to keep out noise when camping (lots of RV parks are right next to a freeway) and a pop top camper with fabric sides lets all the noise inside. My SMB will cost a lot less the completed one and the exact design my wife and I wanted. However you should be prepared to spent a lot of time figuring out what you want. SMB helps a lot.

Sinbad
Old 02-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #18

Hi, new to the forum so hopefully this information still helps

I live down in Santa Cruz and had similar goals to yours - sleep a family of 4 and a large dog in a van. We got the Sprinter EB hightop (no extended top - I like to stealth camp in the city and elsewhere) and set it up to sleep 4 - it's awesome. During the day, lots of room, at night, almost the entire sprinter is bed.

we have a bench across the back where the kids sit, and this along with 2 side ottomans fold out into a very large bed for my wife and I. there's an 4' galley in the middle of the rig, and then behind the passenger seat there's a 4' bench that folds down into one bed, and I made another that lays across the front 2 seats which swivel. this works great for kids 4' or under, I will need to figure something else out when they're older.

we also have a stow away marine toilet that we pull out at night, so either my wife and I or the kids can get out of bed and have access to the sink/toilet in the middle of the rig, it's a great floor plan.

our german shepherd either crawls under our bed or sleeps under the front couch. I have a few pics on my gallery, let me know if you want me to add more.

Vic
vealessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #19

Vic,

I will be using more for outback than urban camping. Heard that length of vehicle determines where you can and can't go in state and national parks. Have you tried taking the EB into national forests, state or national parks? That would be my rationale for the PU top.
johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #20

At this point in time, you are WAY WAY better off supplying your own van to the conversion company. There are a lot of 2008's still sitting on lots out there that they are blowing out. Feel free to PM me if you want a heads up whats out there.
kripper10 is offline   Reply With Quote