Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #1

New to the Forum

another member suggested I re-post this to the Sprinter section -

Hi, my name is Vic and I own a 2007 Sprinter that I had Sportsmobile convert to a camper van in 2008.

Before the Sprinter, we owned a used class A RV for a few years - it was fun when parked, but large, difficult to drive/park, loud, and something was always breaking, so we decided to sell it and get a Sprinter conversion van. We looked at used vans, but they all seemed to be built for a single couple and packed to the gils with stuff, so we finally decided to customize our own through Sportsmobile.

The end product came out great - it drives like an SUV, is roomy, has all of the conveniences we need, and sleeps our family of 4 and german shepherd very comfortably. I would be happy to provide more details if anybody is interested.

After using it a couple years, I have a few more upgrades I would like to make, and am looking for some advice from this forum:

- Rims. I would like to upgrade the stock dodge rims, but am having a hard time finding -anything- available. the 2007 has the 6 bolt pattern and 16" rims - does anybody know what after-market options exist??

- Seats. I bought the Sprinter as a cargo van, so it just has the entry level seats. Sportsmobile added turntables under them so they spin around, but it's a pretty clumsy setup, and there are a ton of sharp metal corners that my family and I keep cutting ourselves on. I would like to upgrade them to some nice, RV type seats - any suggestions?

- Accessories. I would like to get screens and a front window cover. What sites offer good, competitively-prices accessories?

Thanks in advance!

Vic
Attached Thumbnails
sportsmobile1.jpg   sportsmobile3.jpg  

vealessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #2

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Re: New to the Forum

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking SMB Sprinter.

Seats - the sharp corners can be filed round pretty quickly as the metal is soft. Definitely should have been taken care of at the manufacturer.

Screens - I got front window screens from http://www.skreenz.com and a back door screen from http://www.bugbarrierscreen.com. We don't use the back one too much but it is nice to have. The front door window screens we use often. For the front window I use a sun shield so I have use of the dash. We don't worry much about someone peering in.

Wheels - there is wheel information on http://www.sprinter-forum.com as well as weeks of reading. The easiest upgrade would be the stock Sprinter alloy wheel.

There is also a lot of Sprinter information on my blog.

Regards,

Keith
Old 02-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #3

Try these guys for screens and windshield covers.
http://www.sprinterstore.com/sprinter_accessories.htm

Roadwire does replacement foam and upgraded fabrics. If your seats have airbags they can't do them yet.
http://www.roadwire.com/

I had my aluminum rims powdercoated black and they look great. Most wheel shops can powdercoat.

You can check out the photos of my rig.
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #4

Factory Alloys that have been powdercoated look real nice:
Old 02-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #5

Hi Vic,

I am in Scotts Valley too. We might be neighbors! PM me with your contact info and lets get together sometime. I can show you what I use for screens and front window covering.

Best Regards,
/~fred
fmiles is offline   Reply With Quote