Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2018, 11:48 PM   #1

Organize a Bill Burke 4x4 course for Sprinters anyone?

All,

As I eagerly await delivery of my van, I'm starting to think about getting into some trouble off road. Another thread got me interested in Bill Burke's course. bb4wa.com

I was thinking it would be great to get a group of people with similar vans and interests together and ask Bill to tailor a basic course for us.

I'm aiming for a setup with similar bones to Fitz's van, not quite as apocalypse-ready but same general idea. Have essentially zero off roading experience, but stoked to see what I get get stuck on, and pull myself out of.

So, putting it out there to this great forum to see if we can put together a group of five vans and find a window summer or fall that will work.

Basics: Three days. $750/van. Sounds awesome.

I'm located in Berkeley so favor CA locations, but open to other options. Ping me if interested.

Mike

mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:25 AM   #2

This is a good idea., especially for someone with little off-road experience.
The longer wheelbases of the sprinters require some special consideration.

You might as well plan on van compass skid plates and some decent tires to start.

Agile off-road down in San Diego sells and Installs VC product, and also suspension and winch upgrades.

You may want to post on the sprinter-source as well to generate more interest.
Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post

I was thinking it would be great to get a group of people with similar vans and interests together and ask Bill to tailor a basic course for us.

So, putting it out there to this great forum to see if we can put together a group of five vans and find a window summer or fall that will work.

Basics: Three days. $750/van. Sounds awesome.
I like the idea, and I am sure others will also. It will be interesting to see if Bill feels there is much difference between a stock 4wd Sprinter and one equipped with suspension upgrades, skid plates and tires. My guess is you will want to draw that line when determining a venue.

We have a week in AZ (including Overland Expo) planned in May and two weeks in OR planned in June and I suspect others have similar commitments, thus late fall or early next spring might be best for planning purposes.

Looking forward to seeing what comes of this!
Old 03-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #4

Good thoughts, thanks.

Yes, my current rig will have methods/K02s, and I plan on VC suspension, sliders, and probably skid plates as well. Narrowing the group based on having gear like this would be ideal, I agree, if we have the luxury to optimize the excursion - having Bill show us where the vehicle's limits are with terrain selection might depend on all having he same general setup...

Will post on sprinter source as well.
mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:28 AM   #5

we dont have a rig yet, and wont for a good while, but this all sounds like a great idea. Maybe I'd be into year #2 or #3.

John
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #6

Garage
I contacted Bill about his class the first part of the year below is his response.

Hi David, sorry the class is full. There was a 6 vehicle limit and, as usual, it filled quickly!

Congratulations on getting the new Sprinter SMB!! Great van.

There is enough demand for this class I may squeeze a second date in my travel schedule. Maybe a 2 day mid week class?

thank you for your interest on this. I hope I can help you another time.

kind regards,

Bill Burke
Steadijib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #7

I'm interested. We placed the deposit for our Sprinter in Dec. '16 and are still awaiting delivery. We are planning all the upgrades from VC and Agile. I'd love to be part of a Sprinter class.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote