Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 04:12 AM   #31
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSoundman View Post
Good tip regarding 290. .... a long ago, a trusted ME told me to use #10/ green or smaller, blue on everything else and red on perm/critical bolted/high torque connections. I don't recall seeing green in the typical store.

These connections are generally reliable with just torque so no modifier is required, but some have found loose nuts.

I've always used a small drip of blue without issue as it only seems to wick in a thread or two....is this bad advice? The stud and nut are also likely used in the current path. I'm not a fasteners expert - I chase electrons (an EE)...
Loctite 290 can usually be found in NAPA etc near the other brands and formulas, sometimes you have to ask or just look at everything as it's retail packaging might not be too apparent.

Your advice regarding the general use of Loctite is good, it follows the Loctite recommendations. I mentioned the green only because I didn't know you'd use such a sparingly amount. If someone became overly zealous with that formula on a smaller electrical fastener and tried to remove it they'd be in for quite a task. For electrical connections the lower strength formula used after final torque would be preferred.

I get a bit concerned when any mention of Loctite use comes up---too much misinformation leading to problems for those who use it incorrectly. In fact a lot of electrical connections like seen in SMB's can be very effectively tightened using NyLok nuts or lock washers both external and internal tooth variety.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #32

Garage
Glad I happened on this thread. We are heading to Nova Scotia also, and in Milwaukee now with the check engine light on, again! 2016 Sprinter, we will let a dealer check but has anyone else heard that unless it’s flashing it is usually a minor issue. Last time it was a slightly dirty cabin filter. Considering getting one of the code readers. Not sure if we would be able to trust those but if in the middle of nowhere it may help, or not!
Isever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:18 PM   #33
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
AND...E350's can have it happen too...I blame our incident on the crapping logging roads in Canada as we were heading up to AK....didn't catch it until we fired up the water heater and drew enough amps to start melting things! Yes, check things, tighten things, lubes things....ALL in the life of an ACTIVE SMB user!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1554.jpg   IMG_1555.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isever View Post
Glad I happened on this thread. We are heading to Nova Scotia also, and in Milwaukee now with the check engine light on, again! 2016 Sprinter, we will let a dealer check but has anyone else heard that unless it’s flashing it is usually a minor issue. Last time it was a slightly dirty cabin filter. Considering getting one of the code readers. Not sure if we would be able to trust those but if in the middle of nowhere it may help, or not!
Isever, from my own personal experience your information regarding the check engine light is not accurate. Our check engine light was solid when our vehicle was dead and would not start. The PCM that triggers the light cannot always tell if you have a loose battery connection or a serious electrical issue. It just glows solid yellow.

I would highly recommend you have the check engine light issue checked and resolved before heading up into areas where Sprinter repair techs are not plentiful or available.

I would also highly recommend getting a code reader to see what codes are showing when your light comes on or anything else suspect pops up with your van. The reader provides very informative and important information ESPECIALLY when you are nowhere near a Sprinter dealer so that you can determine if it is something that is critical or something that you can make your own way to a repair facility. The information might also be relayed to a tech to help determine the severity of the issue. Several of us use the Blue Driver code reader and it works great. You can connect to it using your phone via bluetooth.

Good luck on your travels. We loved Nova Scotia but loved Newfoundland even more!
Attached Thumbnails
Blue Driver.jpg  
akfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #35

Garage
Afiredude, thanks for the response, we had the van parked for a few days here in Milwaukee and when we started it up check engine was off. It had been raining very hard a few times on our drive so wonder if it was a moisture issue. Had a few with the pop top too, bummer, but easily fixed. I wonder if we can find that code reader while on the road sounds like a good investment. Bought the fuses as recommended. We may be a bit late in the season to get to Newfoundland but would be a shame to it.
Hey, I am a retired cafiredudette! 28 yrs in the OC! Stay safe.
Isever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #36
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Iserver almost any good brand of code reader or "scanner" is a good idea to carry. I myself use the old-school types that plug into the DLC, don't own or use any sort of "smart" phone.

Ideally you'd want one that cancels DTC's as that's a handy feature to check any repairs or corrections you might have performed or hired out.

These are affordable but don't go too cheap---you want some decent features like canceling codes as I mention.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #37

Garage
We had a 2000 Eurovan Camper with a check engine light problem that cost us a fortune before it was properly diagnosed. Different mechanics installed new plugs, plug wires, coil, fuel injectors, and timing chain to no avail. Finally a VW troubleshooter discovered it was the serpentine belt which is coated to prevent static electricity. The coating wore off causing the computer to register a false check engine light signal. Once that was successfully fixed we sold the vehicle and have a 2017 SMB Transit 250. After 27,000 miles we still love it.
bidgoodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #38

Has anyone ever put together a list of the key things to have in a tool kit? After I read this thread I took it to the Service Manager at my Mercedes dealer. I told him I wanted to be sure I had a set of the fuses referred to here. He didn’t even seem sure what to sell me. He talked about a pre fuse box. But it turns out that doesn’t have the actual fuses in it. I’d love help putting together a list of anything I might need. I may not know how to put it in but it seems more likely in a remote area to find someone who can help install a part if I actually have it. Thanks.
dford415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dford415 View Post
Has anyone ever put together a list of the key things to have in a tool kit?
If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend a thorough read of Fitz's build thread:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ild-16293.html
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote