Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #11

Re: Our Sprinter build, Em

WAMTB, thanks for your suggestion. Most of the time, we'll only be carrying one bike (for triathlon races). The rare times we need two bikes, we'll use a bike rack.

I like the lower platform bed because it's below the windows and easier to get up on, making it more usable as seating. Also, I'm a bit claustrophobic, so high platform beds make me uncomfortable. I saw a platform bed at the RV show that was 35" high (so 30" height under the platform) and even that seemed too high for me.

Slidemaster makes a pretty nice sliding tray that Sportsmobile said they could install. I just need to get all the dimensions figured out.

OkeyDokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #12

Hi Okey Dokey,

In reviewing your layout, I wanted to give some thoughts and ideas from our build. Our Sprinter is a 2015, 170in long body, 4x4. We have extras for both safety and operation. One nice item is a MB engine generator to increase RPM's for a quick battery charge. We use the vehicle for some RV'ing but mostly for back road camping. We had the conversion done at the SMB Austin facility. Just finished a 5 week road trip in Canada traveling in and around the Okanogan area.

1. We have a 33in shower with a Thetford cassette toilet. The toilet will swivel to make additional room for showering. The shower is small but we found that you do get use to it. I call it a "Navy Shower". Not alot room but it works. We originally had a sink but deleted it as it took up too much room. We use the kitchen sink for washing and such. We have a bi-fold door so it acts/adds a small dressing area. Our shower controls are on the back wall above the toilet. Two cabinets (front & back wall) in the shower. Helps with storage of personnel items. We have towel bar under the front cabinet with 3 hanging hooks on the exterior wall for added items. We have a hanging closet shoe holder for miscellaneous items that you use but need a place for. We take it out when showering.

2. Kitchen area: We have a folding shelf at the end of the kitchen cabinet near the stove top. It provides significant added counter space as well as a table for the passenger seat when swiveled. Also, an exterior folding shelf to use when we are camping, making a quick stop, or just an easy place to put things. We installed pullout storage trays in the kitchen cabinets. Helps with organization and access.

3. Platform Bed and storage area: Understand your close quarters thoughts. Our bed is 72" long and 38" from floor to bottom of bed support. We made a lot of cardboard layouts to help with the design. We added a four draw dresser after the build-out that is located under the platform with the drawers facing the aisle. Potable water and inverter are mounted over the passenger wheel well. Two House batteries mounted under the floor. An under floor storage box where the generator would sit. Not sure if it would work with the 144" wheel base. We added two slide out trays in the back. Idea came from Traipsingabout.com Blog. We carry two road bikes, Two MTB, cooler, storage for 4 helmet's, three draw storage dresser. All these items are mounted on the slide out trays. I used a combination of aluminum tubing and drawer sliding rails (500lb) capacity and plywood trays. A lot of thought and planning needs to go into storage area.

4. We have the diesel cook-top. The concerns of added heat and cooling are valid. Once we got used to using it, it works fine. We have heat resistant silicone mats we put on top to help when it is cooling down.

5. Miscellaneous: Knockdown table that we use when parked, it stores easily in the storage space above the seats.

6. Highly recommend at least 1 visit to SMB before design is finalized. More if possible. Really helps with communication and getting to know the SMB team. Also look ahead with possible lifestyle changes and try to incorporate them if you can with this build-out.

Additional customized items:
1. Storage area: added 12v and 120v outlets, added plywood floor and walls. Under platform lights.
2. Electrical: Snake lights in the bed area, 12v and 120v outlets on each side. There are these cool 120v outlets with USB ports. Determined where SMB located the electrical controls, fuse box, light and pump switches.
3 Mechanical: Location of water pump, air/water heat exchanger with fan, water tank drains and fill valves to eliminate access issues.
4. We had SMB add a solar control panel for portable suitcase panels. We have 2-50 watt panels with a 40 foot cord. Works great and easy to set up.

Overall your thoughts are spot on for the direction you're going to use the van. I know it got wordy but hope this helps. I read this forum all the time and it really helped. Good Luck
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #13

Bear, it would be great to see pics of your build.
WAMTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #14

Okeydokey and all readers,
Sorry but the Sprinter is the extended body, i.e. does not have the additional 14". Does make a difference when we go "off road". We don't do serious off road we do put it places that make having 4x4 worth the extra cost and lower fuel mileage.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMTB
Bear, it would be great to see pics of your build.
Agree! Would love to see your build Bear!
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #16

Just posted some pictures of a platform bed with slide out bike trays for storage
Old 05-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #17

We picked up our van from SMB West on April 28th and absolutely love it! Some changes from our original design are an induction stove instead of diesel, Lonwood flooring instead of Loncoin, and the color scheme is black cabinets with tan trim. There is lots of storage under the platform bed, though I haven't tried the bike yet. I posted photos in my album.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:55 PM   #18
IPT

Just checked out your album. Beautiful ride!

So the rear bed is fixed or can it be pulled up into a seat too? I've seen different information about the ability to rotate the seats. Is the driver side unable to rotate because of the cabinet, or were there other reasons (fuse box or factory wiring) that makes it not able to be on a swivel?
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:52 AM   #19

The bottom platform bed is fixed at approximately 38" above the floor. The driver's seat does swivel. The Gaucho seat behind does not get in the way when the seat swivel. It also fold up to make more room when needed, it also has seat belts for passengers when doing a shuttle or really short trips
Old 07-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #20

Our rear bed is fixed, a platform bed, and the driver's seat doesn't swivel. The passenger seat does, but we had to pay quite a bit extra to have SMB install it since Mercedes doesn't make them swivel in the 2016 144" wheelbase vans.