Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2007, 05:12 AM   #11

There has been some up-to-date Sprinter 4x4 discussion on the Sprintervan group on Yahoo.

Tom Tasso states, "I was at Sportsmobile last week and they said that the 4x4 conversions weren't going to happen now. My impression was that there are issues with the U.S. ECU that they have not been able to work around. The van that they have done is REALLY nice! Too bad we won't be able to get one. I had emailed the company in Austria and their reply said that they are not doing a conversion on the U.S. models. I would love to see a poll done for the number of people that would be willing to spend the estimated 15K (include ME) for a correct AWD system."

Then Jozsef Kozma states, "Then there must be some miscommunication on this matter. After reading last night that it may be available by Sportsmobile soon, I emailed Sportsmobile and got a response today that read, 'At one time we where hoping to offer a 4WD for the Sprinter. However, we have been informed that Sprinter will offer this as an option in the future and they will not allow us to offer an aftermarket 4WD. So at this time,we won't have a 4WD on the Sprinter. Let me know if You have any other questions. Nancy.' "

So is Dynatrac out and Oberaigner now back in (eventually)? And what are the implications M-B warranty-wise of Salem-Kroger doing their own 4x4 conversion on that Winnebago View (see Salem-Kroger 4x4 topic under this Sprinter Chassis forum)?

Hey Frank, when you told Oberaigner what SMB was planning to do with Dynatrac, did Mr. Oberaigner get so pissed off that he called in big brother Mr. Mercedes-Benz to put the cabash on SMB's Dynatrac plans?

Old 11-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to herby
hi mikesteadt,
you sound upset? but no Oberaigner supplies to MB. a relationship with oberaigner is up to smb not to MB. lets get serious. if MB brings in a 4x4 version factory sprinter to the US what is going to happen? you buy a standart sprinter 4x4 and run to smb or any orther converter to make it how YOU want it. groundclearance, bull bar, roof rack and so on.
now what do you think how many people would like a sprinter 4x4 in the US? i can sell you a sprinter but at this stage only right hand drive unless you ship the sprinter to me get it converted and send back.
if anybody in the US designs a sprinter 4x4 he has to get the conversion approver by MB Germany. fit two vehicles with 4x4 and ship them to stuttgard, wait 8-10 month for the results. that doesent mean it will get approved, you get the results with recomendations and changes you have to do. if you do not get approved but still manufacture and sell the sprinter 4x4 you have to take the vehicle batches of (Star, Freightliner, Dodge) and you as the converter carrie the full guarantie of the vehicle. and that can cost money $$$$$
may be i should open a conversion plant in the US that would be fun i think!
herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #13

No, not upset. My last comment above was meant to be a funny.

I'm closing in on retirement at 55 (5 years out) and want a motor home that doubles as a primary vehicle. But one that will take me off-road. And get good mileage per gallon. Hence the Sprinter RB150S 4x4 with a penthouse top.

Guess I'll just have to keep that money invested for awhile. And keep driving my 1995 Dodge. And keep on tent camping. I know a Sprinter 4x4 in the USA will happen - it's just a question of when. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

You making 4x4 Sprinter conversions in the USA? Sounds like a million dollar idea to me. You'd make that much converting Fedex and UPS delivery vans alone!
Old 11-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #14

Mike have you ever checked with an independant shop on Sprinter 4x4 conversion?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #15

No. Relative mass production of the 4x4 chassis is important to me. I'm no gearhead, preferring a wide and quick availability of parts and service should any breakdowns occur. I don't think an independent shop would fit the bill for me. And Frank's comments regarding warranty voiding also raise concerns.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #16

Sounds like anyone wanting a 4x4 Sprinter is going to have to just wait and see what happens. I wish we could get a consistent answer. Like Mike I am interested in a Sprinter and can wait a while but not forever!
WanderDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to herby
good morning to you's,
as i stated earlier it is for any private company a big step 1. to manufacture a sprinter 4x4 privatly. 2. you need the support of MB US for spares availability and guarantees.
there has to be talks before hand to assure the support of your suppliers, shippers, importers, MB, Dealers, Body builders and so on.
the market? 5 sprinter 4x4 a month or 500? you need back up.
is the customer prepaired to wait 8 month for his conversion in peak times? questions to ask before you start converting.
herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #18

SMB-TX has a new Sprinter with the Penthouse top available. It also has the "50" floor plan. Nice looking rig - take a look...

Old 11-22-2007, 06:56 AM   #19

Very cool! The only disadvantage I see is that it doesn't have a real bathroom, like the more luxurious Sprinters at SMB-TX have. We seriously considered a Sprinter, but it came down to an indoor bathroom versus four wheel drive and the bathroom lost.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #20

Yeah, this is the 19' Sprinter, which is the same length as the EB vans. You'd have to go with a different floor plan in order to incorporate an indoor bathroom.