Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2017, 07:35 PM   #11

If you make your way over to Van Compass drop me a line. We can go climb at Post Falls while they install everything. Rob and Mark are great guys and their products are very well built. There is also some pretty good mountain biking pretty close. This crag is only 10 min away. https://www.mountainproject.com/v/10...27emiln%20Park

CaptainVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:36 PM   #12

how about cab noise dampening?

hey all: thanks for this great thread. i'm wanting to upgrade the stock sprinter speakers up front, and my audio guy says i should invest in noise dampening in the doors (and maybe floor and hood).

has anyone done this? if so, which brand and type have you used and how happy are you with it? i can't find a door specific to the sprinter -- thought this group would add some much appreciated wisdom. thanks so much!
sprinter209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:23 AM   #13
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Dynamat is the most widely known brand of butyl soundproofing or automotive noise dampening material, there are lots of others out there-Fatmat, Noico, Kilmat. Most auto stereo places carry it or you can order a bulk pack or generic door kit on amazon, grab a good roller too to help with install. Cover as much of the inside of the outer metal skin of the doors as you can, makes a noticeable difference with intrusive road noise and gets rid of the tin door sound. Some people cover the entire interior wall with this stuff before insulation and paneling.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #14

thanks, ref - i've not found a specific door kit and based on your helpful comment, i guess there isn't one (yet)?
sprinter209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #15

Garage
Cascade audio sells door kits but not specifically for a sprinter.

Zeronoise.com

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #16

I replaced my Sprinter stock speakers. I first used Noico sound deadening material on the door panels and in the ceiling. It probably needs about 25-50% metal coverage to deaden the echoing sound in the metal. I used about 50%.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I used thinsulate insulation to soundproof and insulate the doors and ceiling. This eBay seller is a good dealer.

3M Thinsulate (TM) SM600L Acoustic Thermal Automotive Insulation for van and car | eBay

Here is a good tutorial. It was a pretty easy DIY project with a few basic tools.

How to replace Sprinter door and dash speakers – Sprinter Adventure Van

I used these speaker adapter rings to allow the use of 6.5" door speakers instead of the stock 5.5" speakers. This alone was a pretty good upgrade.

Speaker Adapters for 6.5in speakers made to fit 2007-17 Sprinter NCV3 cab door | eBay

I was still disappointed a little in the sound because of the lack of bass from the 6.5" speakers so I added a small powered subwoofer. I mounted it behind the driver's seat and wired it from the front center channel Sprinter speaker. This was a big improvement and worth the expense and hassle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wouldn't call my system a high fidelity sound system but it is a big improvement from the stock speakers. I haven't been willing to spend the money on replacing the head unit yet but that would probably be another upgrade in the sound.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter209 View Post
hey all: thanks for this great thread. i'm wanting to upgrade the stock sprinter speakers up front, and my audio guy says i should invest in noise dampening in the doors (and maybe floor and hood).

has anyone done this? if so, which brand and type have you used and how happy are you with it? i can't find a door specific to the sprinter -- thought this group would add some much appreciated wisdom. thanks so much!
As mentioned, get some of our CNC'd speaker adapters (allows for larger than stock 6.5 or 6.75 speakers behind OEM grills). To improve sound and reduce resonance and road noise, choose the option to include some Thinsulate(TM) SM600L for behind the door panels. We make wall mount subwoofer panels for the Sprinter as well. The Alpine PWS-S8 is a great powered sub. Our contact info and links are at DIYvan.com Please call if you need further assistance.
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #18

Garage
I will add that Hein is awesome for this stuff and respected among the van community for his continued efforts towards a quieter more comfortable awesome sounding van.

He was great about helping me figure out what I needed and what wouldnt work for me for my van.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
You mean this?

“For the money, you get a basic van,” Beveridge said. “It’s a simplified cabin with no stock back-up camera.”

The Sprinter is a status symbol similar to the Volks*wagen Vanagon, a model that attracts a cult-like following, Beveridge said.

“For the same people that popularized the Vanagon,” he said, “this is the next step.”

Bend business turns vans into base camps; Sprinter vans are popular for outdoor-recreation enthusiasts
Pretty sure he's talking about when this post. Van Guys did some serious damage when installing solar panels, and wouldn't take responsibility for it. Photos on post #6.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=52015
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #20

Dang. Dude screwed up.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote