Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2017, 01:31 AM   #21

I think that a propane tank can go to the outside of the vehicle fuel tank IF there is no black or grey water tank there, not 100% sure though. Aux vehicle fuel tanks can go there.

Espar now offers a D5 that runs on gasoline and provides hot air and hot water. I spent many years backpacking and cooking in the open on white gas stoves. There is no way I would ever cook inside with any kind of gasoline, however.

OTOH, I will not be cooking with any kind of liquid fuel. We will eventually have 600Ah of lithium, 2 solar panels, a 2nd alternator, and cook with a microwave and an induction plate. Thus with a substantial electrical system, you could use gasoline for vehicle fuel, hot air, and hot water. Aero offers 3 aux tanks for a Sprinter. You could put a 20 gal aux fuel tank to the outside of the OEM tank, a 30 gal one in the spare tire place, or a 14 gal one along the passenger side behind and (beneath the floor) below the passenger front seat.

For emergencies, we will take 1 or 2 one liter propane cylinders, a Little Buddy catalytic heater, and a miniature cook burner to go atop the cylinder.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
... install the petrol fired Espar B2/B4, or Webasto ST-2000 equivalent, for single fuel heating...and standard SMEV propane cooktop with an adapter for standard 1lb disposable propane canisters.
I like this. I previously had a diesel van with Espar D2 (and carried butane stove), and currently have gas van with propane fired Propex, cooktop, and instant hot water heater.

If I had to do it again, I'd likely try to stick with the single fuel for heating the van and opt with the gas/diesel Espar and use a 1 lb propane canister to run a dedicated cooktop. I do like having the built in cooktop much more than dealing with a portable.

Make sure to evaluate the power requirements of the D5 system with pumps and blower fans vs. the airtronic units when sizing your battery capacity.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #23

I just did what has been suggested above. With standard hardware store fittings I converted an SMEV/Dometic stove to 1lb. cylinders. I've cooked 5 meals on it this week. If 1lb. cylinder safety is a concern to you just unscrew it when not using but I've left mine alone. I can sniff out propane from a mile away.

I have a gas van and am using a Planar 44d diesel fired heater. It has it's own 7 liter fuel cell I mounted just inside the rear door. I have filled it once ($4 in diesel) and used it about 5 nights. The tank is still 1/4 full. Amazingly efficient. No smell. Fill it up from the back door when fueling my gas tank. No regrets.

*I may've said all this earlier in this post. Seems like I've shared this lately. Sorry if I'm repeating myself. More coffee please.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I have a gas van and am using a Planar 44d diesel fired heater. It has it's own 7 liter fuel cell I mounted just inside the rear door. I have filled it once ($4 in diesel) and used it about 5 nights. The tank is still 1/4 full. Amazingly efficient. No smell. Fill it up from the back door when fueling my gas tank. No regrets.
Any pics of your fuel cell setup?
Old 12-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
I'll work on that this weekend Joe.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Here's one example. 86Scotty's will illustrate another way of going about it.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:00 PM   #27

Some of the 1 lb propane bottles are now approved as refillable:
Murdoch's – Flame King - 1 Pound Refillable Propane Cylinder

For additional safety, there are caps to prevent leaking:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VYH4KO...9GVS1WFM&psc=0

You can refill the 1 lb bottles from a 5 gal (20 lb) bottle with this:
https://jet.com/product/detail/5ff3e...RoCD4EQAvD_BwE
(Because the propane under pressure is liquid, the big bottle must be upside down and above the small bottle, which must be right side up.)

DaveB uses a 5 lb (1 gal) refillable tank and has several pics of it in use on his album. Here's one:
Sportsmobile Forum - daveb's Album: Daveb's old forum pics - Picture

Here is one from Amazon and one from Walmart:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SKX63U...9GVS1WFM&psc=0
https://www.walmart.com/ip/5Lb-Propane-Tank/39086357

Very small burner for 1 lb bottle:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PUR5E...9GVS1WFM&psc=1

Compact Little Buddy Catalytic Heater:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CFRF7I...9GVS1WFM&psc=1

Fuel cells are starting to be more available and can use Hydrogen Peroxide, gasoline, methanol, propane, or diesel as fuel, but they are all expensive. Google motorhome with fuel-cells for more info than you care to read.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Espar now offers a D5 that runs on gasoline and provides hot air and hot water. I spent many years backpacking and cooking in the open on white gas stoves. There is no way I would ever cook inside with any kind of gasoline, however.

I like the idea of a gas powered heater and water heater. Something like the Wesbasto Dual Top, but powered by gas.

Can anyone give me an idea where I can find such a device? Hopefully with a US vendor that will sell direct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:08 PM   #29

Rixen offers the Espar gas version of the D5 (technically the B5) along with Rixen's own additional parts, as a kit. I believe it is capable of doing your choice of two of the three following: cabin hot water, cabin hot air, preheating of engine block.
http://www.rixens.com/wp-content/upl...One-Manual.pdf (see p 6)
Espar B5 Gas - 05 001 184

I could be wrong about this; I think the Webasto gasoline Air Top 2000 STC can heat cabin air and coolant to the block, but not cabin water. I know it heats air. It might heat coolant to preheat the block. I think Webasto doesn't have a gas/benzine heater for domestic water. I am not at all sure though.
Espar B5 Gas - 05 001 184

You might want to give Rixen's a call.
http://rixens.com
Old 12-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
...DaveB uses a 5 lb (1 gal) refillable tank and has several pics of it in use on his album. Here's one:
Sportsmobile Forum - daveb's Album: Daveb's old forum pics - Picture
I have the same tank attached to a bracket on the outside on my teardrop. Love it, but sometimes I wish for the 10 lb version (which are also available).

Herb

Tags
diesel heat, espar, propane, spare tire carrier