Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2017, 12:01 AM   #1

Side Moldings and Roof Rails

I had read somewhere that the side moldings on the Sprinters can cause leaks where the side moldings are attached to the body. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this. Also would getting the factory roof rails cause any problems, as I would just as soon order them, but not it they cause leaks in the roof. Can you order the 4 x 4 Sprinter without side molding?

Gibralter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #2

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ild-16293.html

Look at post 212 in the thread above for info on the side moulding . I do not know about ordering without side moldings, but I rather doubt it.

As far as the roof rails, I have not heard of them being a problem, but I have a penthouse thus no personal experience.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:39 PM   #3

Sprinter Leaks Through Side Panel Plastic Clips

Fitz - once again appreciate you passing on very helpful threads full of all kinds of information. I have read through the first six pages of posts and thought I would respond. Excuse me if some of this is covered further on down in the thread. I remember I came across the side molding leaks on the Transit Forum here (I can not remember which thread it was but it was one of the Sprinter vs Transit threads) by the way it was noted that Transits have the same problem:

Ford Transit Versus The Competition - Ford Transit USA Forum

I also found this detailed explanation of the side panel leaks with images, and how to repair it. Note it was pointed out you want to do this first thing before you begin the build out of your van. This was just posted three months ago so this appears to still be an issue with current models. As the author notes this 2014 Sprinter calls Palm Springs home, in the California desert - "during a drought", about as dry a climate as you can get.

https://radvanadventures.com/2016/11...rrible-design/

Regarding State Farm - “we don’t care if you take the vehicle off-road, we will come and get you wherever you are” emergency road service plan. I have State Farm too so I am glad to hear about this. I will say though I recently had a minor claim with them on my high mileage sedan and some adjusters were trying to get away with using "recycled parts" as in junk yard parts that meet State Farm's "standards". Even in California where the law states you have the right to take your vehicle to whichever body shop you want (the best body shops do not use used or third party parts unless there is no other alternative), State Farm can get around that by forcing you to pay for the difference between recycled or non OEM parts and the real factory replacement parts. I called the State of California Department of Insurance and they said the insurance companies can get away with it BUT there are some limits to this loophole. The part can not compromise the safety of the vehicle so with many parts you are on solid ground if you put up a fuss and demand factory/manufacturer parts. Insurance companies know this so they do cover the cost of new factory parts that clearly fall into this category, but this insurance industry lobbying loophole allows them to get away with trying to undercut the law in my view. Pay attention to your claim, get a detailed invoice with part numbers, and check it. Call up the Department and talk to them, as I spoke to someone who was helpful in explaining the nuances of the law and how to make a case for new factory parts in your repair. I think State Farm and many other insurance companies only cover the cost of original factory parts for the first three years of the vehicle. AAA of California is the only company I have found so far that offers an additional option to your standard premium that will cover new factory parts for the first ten years (it may be 15 years - depends who you talk to at AAA). The additional coverage works out to approx. $50/year for a $45K vehicle.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #4

Sprinter - Sealing Side Panel Clips

Oops! I jumped right over you pointing me to post 212 in your build thread. I am not sure if my last post made it or not but I had included a link that outlines the side panel/plastic clips leaking issue, before seeing your post.

You certainly address it your post - thank you. Also it seems you had no problem removing the panels and sealing the clips from the exterior without the need to access them from inside. Did you have a problem with any of the clips breaking, as some people have mentioned? It seems like you found a good way to remove the panels without damage to any clips.

Glad to hear the roof rails do not have this issue.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #5

I had no problem taking the panels off or the clips out, and I broke no clips in the process. I bought spares just in case (good practice), but didn't need them.

The posts I read prior to sealing the clips all made it seem like it was a much bigger job than it was. It was a two beer job, not a big deal.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #6

Bought a stock 2016 4x4 144 cargo van without factory roof rails. Bought the factory roof rails and installed them myself. 37 inches of rain here in Santa Rosa since purchase and they have not leaked. Dealer said to be sure to seal each mounting hole. I did. Probably leak tomorrow since I made this post!
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote