Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
So, after wrestling with what seemed like a choice between AC for the rear and a ski slot (how could I choose between my two favorites, climbing season and ski season?!), SMB responded to my dilemma with what I am told is a new solution.

They installed a removable ski slot within the RB 150S storage cabinets.

Pictures illustrate. A few notes:
  • The box is made of wood, sprayed inside and out with black waterproof liner material.
  • Removable - the box slides out to the back. Latched closed with a single metal latch. Seems solid enough.
  • I haven't measured it, but I'm told it is something like 74 inches deep, which will work for my current skis. I imagine by orienting diagonally and with some overlap beyond the cabinet I might squeeze a little more length out of it, but this should will work for my current boards, and certainly for my wife's and kids'. If needing more length for future skis or friends skis that don't fit, I have a nice ski bag and can go to using my padded ski bag lashed to the floor in the front of the van.
  • Two things I'm anticipating - there will be some snow and moisture on skis when putting them back after a day of use, regardless of how well they are cleaned. This will melt in the van and likely drip out of the box and into the area below. I anticipate lining the entry with towels or something both to pad the sliding around of the skis, and to capture some of the moisture. But one modification I can see doing will be adding a small rim to the bottom edge of the box's opening, under the theory that I can mop up the water while on the road, and clean up easier if it's trapped in the compartment. We will see. And the van should be moist during ski trips anyhow from other sources of snow and water, can't see how that wouldn't happen.
  • Notice that the sliding cabinet door openings into the living area are smaller than standard RB 150 designs. Two shelves worth are available instead of three. This suits me fine. The floor of the bottom shelf, visible in the pics, sweetly opens up to access the space below. And, I've been using the space effectively by shoving ropes and climbing gear in from behind (removed the ski storage box for the summer, leaving all that space available.).
  • Stoked on this so far!!

I'm so happy to guinea pig this, and that in the end I didn't have to choose between outfitting for my passions. More later (next winter) as I actually use it and issues arise...
Hi Mike, anything new to report after using this design for a while? I have to finalize my build details in the next month or so, and I'm wondering if you would give this a solid recommendation. Also, if there any any other aspects of your build that you would highly recommend, change, or avoid, please share. Looking to learn from others who have done similar builds for similar usage. Thanks!

barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #12

Well it hasn't been snowing a whole lot so I don't have any update. I've been using the van plenty on climbing trips, leaving the ski box at home and stuffing ropes and rack in the lower portion of the cabinets. It's been working great in this configuration so far but I won't have any more feedback until the winter.
mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
Well it hasn't been snowing a whole lot so I don't have any update. I've been using the van plenty on climbing trips, leaving the ski box at home and stuffing ropes and rack in the lower portion of the cabinets. It's been working great in this configuration so far but I won't have any more feedback until the winter.
Thanks, I didn't know if you got any snow experience late season. Sounds like the dry storage is working, though!
Old 10-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #14

We're taking delivery of our build next week - including a ski cabinet. Looking forward to seeing how it turned out as well as putting it to good use this winter! Brian at SMB West was great and worked with the cabinet guy to customize our build to accommodate the ski cabinet.
codywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #15

Nice! Congrats. Hopefully we'll both post some pictures in use around the same time...
Old 10-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #16

Would you post some pictures when you pick up? I'm up there mid-November, but your van will be gone. Love to see another example!
Old 10-30-2018, 11:46 PM   #17

I had Aluminess custom fab a deluxe box for me. open top, closed bottom with a couple of drain holes and "bungee/lock holes" on the top of the walls. Put pvc through the holes and I can hold 6 boards or 3 boards and more skis etc etc https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
seanincarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #18

So, having spent the better part of the last three months on a climbing and skiing trip in the Rockies, I can report on my experience with the ski box, for my build at any rate.

When traveling solo, for my personal quiver of two-three pairs of tele skis from ~95-112 at the waist, plus a couple sets of poles, it has been excellent and super convenient. Note that these skis have lower profile bindings than alpine skis, so if you lock your heels you may have different results. It's been easy, clean, convenient storage. I tend to knock the bulk of any sticky snow off the skis after a ski day, and wrap the tips in a towel. Without being at all particular about the snow, I never noticed any leakage or excess water. Can't say I did a careful study, but it probably just melts and evaporates.

My skis are max ~180cm these days and they fit and leave room to fold a towel in to pad against the back door of the van, but without a ton of extra room. I've put in a pair of my friend's 184 cm AT skis, and they fit fine on top of my other skis but I needed to angle them across the box a bit. I haven't tried, but I'd guess I could get 190s in, but might reduce the number of pairs that would fit.

When traveling with the family, I've been able to easily fit three pairs of adult tele skis plus two pair of kids skis, plus some but not all of the associated poles into the box. Maneuvering the various bindings around each other is the crux for the capacity.

All and all, I'm really happy with the box for my purposes thus far. There is an obvious tradeoff in storage space for other things for winter use, but I tend to be a duffel bag guy anyhow so I don't use all my cabinets to their fullest anyway when traveling alone. Traveling loaded for skiing, ice climbing, and rock climbing was a snap for me solo. Traveling for all of those sports with the family took more organizing and a larger stack of duffel backs in the main compartment of the van but was doable.

Limitations will emerge when traveling with more adults, or a snowboarder, although I hope I never sink as low as associating with the latter But in either of these cases, I expect a good ski bag laid on the floor of the van and stored outside at night will work just find to expand the capacity.

Note that all of this is specific to my configuration and build, but hopefully it illustrates some of the possibilities for those skiers on this forum.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #19

Thanks for the report

mikemikemike, thanks for the update after a winter season of use. I didn't go this direction with my build, but it looks like a greater option for SMB to offer. Sounds like you are getting a lot of use out of your van. Looking forward to getting ours next month.