Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #1

Ski Storage in 144 LR

Has anyone done anything they really like for in-van ski storage in a 144? Raised floor, under cabinet "slot", etc? Considering options taking into account convenience, transport, and safe storage. Thanks!

barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:33 PM   #2

It may take a little searching of the Threads, but yeah, there are some cool ways folks have stored skis... while your waiting for some definitive lead - get to work learning the Forum. You're gonna find some great ideas...
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel47 View Post
Has anyone done anything they really like for in-van ski storage in a 144? Raised floor, under cabinet "slot", etc? Considering options taking into account convenience, transport, and safe storage. Thanks!
Our shower pan will be a steel unit mounted behind the driver, and powder coated. Roughly 33" long (front to back) without any cabinets above it. On the backside of the shower pan will be the fridge, and then a high-roof upper cabinet. We'll be adding L-track to the walls above and below the window, the ceiling, and to the forward facing walls on the fridge and upper cabinet. We'll then rig up ski mounts to the forward facing wall so our skis are vertically mounted in the shower pan where they can drip dry. The L-track above/below the windows will be used to hang various bags, climbing gear, and occasionally our bikes. Because we have bars in the 740 - 780mm range, we'll have to angle the bars a bit to fit two bikes, but mostly the bikes will be on a kuat rack outside. We'll mount them inside if security is a concern, or if we're spending a lot of time in urban areas.

We won't be able to carry a ton of skis this way, though. Maybe 2 or 3 sets forward facing, and if we add ski mounts to the wall somehow, we could squeeze 4. This might be the first year where our touring setups are also our inbounds setup. So, room for two skis, hang our jackets and pants from the roof between the driver/passenger seats, hang our skins from the L-track in the ceiling over the shower pan, and boots will be on 12v boot driers (plugged in at passenger seat base).
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkledpants View Post
Our shower pan will be a steel unit mounted behind the driver, and powder coated. Roughly 33" long (front to back) without any cabinets above it. On the backside of the shower pan will be the fridge, and then a high-roof upper cabinet. We'll be adding L-track to the walls above and below the window, the ceiling, and to the forward facing walls on the fridge and upper cabinet. We'll then rig up ski mounts to the forward facing wall so our skis are vertically mounted in the shower pan where they can drip dry. The L-track above/below the windows will be used to hang various bags, climbing gear, and occasionally our bikes. Because we have bars in the 740 - 780mm range, we'll have to angle the bars a bit to fit two bikes, but mostly the bikes will be on a kuat rack outside. We'll mount them inside if security is a concern, or if we're spending a lot of time in urban areas.

We won't be able to carry a ton of skis this way, though. Maybe 2 or 3 sets forward facing, and if we add ski mounts to the wall somehow, we could squeeze 4. This might be the first year where our touring setups are also our inbounds setup. So, room for two skis, hang our jackets and pants from the roof between the driver/passenger seats, hang our skins from the L-track in the ceiling over the shower pan, and boots will be on 12v boot driers (plugged in at passenger seat base).
That sounds like an awesome set up. I don't recall the specifics of your build, but it sounds like a high roof. Part of my challenge is that I've purchased a LR and 63" won't cut it for any of my skis vertically, although I should evaluate whether I could fit them at an angle in some configuration. Taking a step back, I'm trying to think about returning from a tour / day at the lifts, and the process of stowing the gear, changing, etc. and then drying everything. Today, I just throw everything in back of my Yukon and deal with it where we are staying. I'm still at the stage of 50 vs 30 layouts and how to pull all of the pieces together. Thanks again for the info, it gives me some things to think about.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:56 PM   #5

I'm now thinking about how to install a ski rack on top of the aluminess rear bumper / box. They have a great bike rack setup, which presumably could be swapped out for skis. The skis would be horizontal on top the box, protected from the wind and road debris. No word yet on whether aluminess can do this, or if I need to find a shop for this mod, but I'm thinking this may be the way to go. Easy to access and secure. I am still exploring a roof box, but I'm the thought of climbing the ladder mid-winter and the weight limitations (electric PH) have me reconsidering.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #6

We have decided on the Aluminess roof rack with Yakima cross-bars. A bit tougher to access via ladder but solid storage on the Yakima lockable powderhound rack.

Cloths we'll hang from d-rings in overhead inside, boots 110V boot dryer. D5 system as well.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:30 AM   #7

How about ski storage in a RB 150S with PH?

Again with my limited searching skills, I only find a few threads about ski storage, and most of them point towards external options, racks and roof boxes etc. So, piggybacking on to this as closest to relevant.

The cleanest option for ski storage for me was going to be the ski slot SMB offered to build and coat with that black raptor material at the bottom of the rear cabinets, so skis could slide in from the back. That would get me just around 190cm and enough room for a couple or a few pairs, not sure exactly.

But now it looks like AC is called for, and SMB tells me that rules out a ski slot in those cabinets. Apparently the AC will install in front of the left wheel well, and ducts run up through the back of the pantry cabinet. In looking at pictures I snapped of builds in progress with RB 150 and AC, I wonder if a ski slot could fit in the same horizonal location, just one level higher in that cabinetry, so the tips would lay above the AC unit. I realize I have no idea how tall that unit would be, so I may be ignoring a fundamental physical constraint.

I'm looking for input on whether anyone with RB 150S build can help visualize whether such an idea, or any other similar hijinx, might be workable. I'm willing to consider, and probably make, a tradeoff like having the bottom interior visible part of the rear cabinetry be coated with raptor liner and double as less refined storage when not skiing - don't need delicate smooth storage in all the storage spaces, since I've never had a drawer in a vehicle in my life

Or any other creative solutions? I feel like I'd like to avoid bolting stuff to the outside, adding a rear rack or rocket box or ladder or whatever.

For reference, here are all the threads I found relevant to ski storage - cataloguing since I'm surely not the only one with this question. Pointers to more that I've missed would be welcome, as my search skills seem lacking on this forum...
Thanks!

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ion-11111.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...rack-5378.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...150s-9715.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...rack-5378.html
mikemikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:02 PM   #8

Seemingly slick ski storage solution (modular/removeable)

So, after wrestling with what seemed like a choice between AC for the rear and a ski slot (how could I choose between my two favorites, climbing season and ski season?!), SMB responded to my dilemma with what I am told is a new solution.

They installed a removable ski slot within the RB 150S storage cabinets.

Pictures illustrate. A few notes:
  • The box is made of wood, sprayed inside and out with black waterproof liner material.
  • Removable - the box slides out to the back. Latched closed with a single metal latch. Seems solid enough.
  • I haven't measured it, but I'm told it is something like 74 inches deep, which will work for my current skis. I imagine by orienting diagonally and with some overlap beyond the cabinet I might squeeze a little more length out of it, but this should will work for my current boards, and certainly for my wife's and kids'. If needing more length for future skis or friends skis that don't fit, I have a nice ski bag and can go to using my padded ski bag lashed to the floor in the front of the van.
  • Two things I'm anticipating - there will be some snow and moisture on skis when putting them back after a day of use, regardless of how well they are cleaned. This will melt in the van and likely drip out of the box and into the area below. I anticipate lining the entry with towels or something both to pad the sliding around of the skis, and to capture some of the moisture. But one modification I can see doing will be adding a small rim to the bottom edge of the box's opening, under the theory that I can mop up the water while on the road, and clean up easier if it's trapped in the compartment. We will see. And the van should be moist during ski trips anyhow from other sources of snow and water, can't see how that wouldn't happen.
  • Notice that the sliding cabinet door openings into the living area are smaller than standard RB 150 designs. Two shelves worth are available instead of three. This suits me fine. The floor of the bottom shelf, visible in the pics, sweetly opens up to access the space below. And, I've been using the space effectively by shoving ropes and climbing gear in from behind (removed the ski storage box for the summer, leaving all that space available.).
  • Stoked on this so far!!

I'm so happy to guinea pig this, and that in the end I didn't have to choose between outfitting for my passions. More later (next winter) as I actually use it and issues arise...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1753.jpg   IMG_1752.jpg   IMG_1754.jpg   IMG_1749.jpg   IMG_1750.jpg  

Old 04-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post

They installed a removable ski slot within the RB 150S storage cabinets.
Awesome design. I've been considering something similar for my van... or just using a roof box. The inevitable ice/water has also been a concern of mine. Is there a way you could duct forced air into the space to improve drying? Why is removing the box necessary? For drying and cleaning out?
Old 04-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVerhulst View Post
Awesome design. I've been considering something similar for my van... or just using a roof box. The inevitable ice/water has also been a concern of mine. Is there a way you could duct forced air into the space to improve drying? Why is removing the box necessary? For drying and cleaning out?
They suggested removable. I wanted to be able to use the space for other things during the summer - it's a pretty specific use for a large amount of real estate - enabling for skis, constraining for most other things. I asked at first for just holes cut in the cabinet so I could improvise. This is better.

Might be possible to duct it, haven't thought that through. Seems like it would add complexity and not sure it's necessary.