Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2010, 05:33 AM   #1

Sportsmobile Lean

My new Sprinter Sportsmobile has a lean to the right with full fuel, propane, water and me. No supplies or baggage. Was able to get a side to side weight and the right side weighs 600 pounds more than the left. Right side is were all storage cabinets are. Total weight was just over 7900 pounds, which would otherwise leave me in good shape for loading gear.

Any suggestions beyond a major mods of the florplan? I don't see this being a quick or easy fix.

SkinnyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #2

Re: Sportsmobile Lean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyRV
My new Sprinter Sportsmobile has a lean to the right with full fuel, propane, water and me. No supplies or baggage. Was able to get a side to side weight and the right side weighs 600 pounds more than the left. Right side is were all storage cabinets are. Total weight was just over 7900 pounds, which would otherwise leave me in good shape for loading gear.

Any suggestions beyond a major mods of the florplan? I don't see this being a quick or easy fix.

The right side being the passenger side?

Robert
rescuerobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #3

Quote:

That sucks. sorry to hear that.

how'd you get those weight measurements?

Wouldn't SMB take into account weight distribution as part of the design process?
(haven't been through a build yet so I wouldn't know this)

Would be nice to see your floor plan?
Share some pics too
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:37 AM   #4

The weight was obtained by driving onto the scale with two wheels on the center of the scale and two wheels beside the scale. Then turned around and did the other side. Got front and rear axle weights as well as total. Wanted each wheel but was told that would not be an accurate weight.

This is an unusual layout. The only things on the left (driver's side) are a couple of folding bunks set 36" off the floor, and the two aux batteries at the back, under the floor. Also have the propane tank.

This allows for a 16 foot canoe to be inside the vehicle, on the floor, leaving an aisle.

Passenger side starts with the full bath behind the passenger seat, with 3 way fridge, sliding pantry and cabinets. Have the inverter/converter. 15gallon fresh water, with 11 gallon gray holding tank.

I was concerned about the weight and did not think Sportsmobile would do the design, but they thought the fuel tank and propane tank would keep things balanced.

From what I read, the inverter/converter weighs 60 lbs. Moving it to the driver's side helps balance by 120 pounds. Moving the water (125) would help by 250 pounds, if the gray tank is moved. The small electric water heater (about 10"x10") at 34 pounds would be a 68 pound shift.

Those adjust the balance by 430 pounds plus the weight of the cabinet. I realize some is lost by water going to the black water holding tank. Since I am 600 pounds under gross weight, I could increase the size of the fresh water tank and bring the driver's side weigh up more.

All the above items could easily fit in a box 20" tall by 12" wide on the driver's side of the van. It could include a storage area for heavy items such as tire chains, power chord, and tools. Because the ends of my canoe are taller than the center (called rocker), and the base of the center has to be outside the wheel well, the canoe still fits. (I was going to suggest doing something like this before Sportsmobile said everything on the right side would work.)

Problem is this is going to be an expensive fix.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #5

Custom built utility trucks with loads of after market equipment will frequently adjust the suspension to accommodate their payloads and this would seem to be an easier and less costly fix . When we had our Prevost Coach/Bus built it required an additional 1,800 suspension adjustment to the passenger side to accommodate some of our (Wifes) desires .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #6

SkinnyRV,

You must have an LB Sprinter to get a 16ft canoe inside. wow. very nice.
I think in an EB you have about 13.5' of working space behind the front seats.
and you're not using your slider because it's blocked by the full bath.
sounds like a great custom design to fit your needs.

just curious, which SMB did your conversion, Fresno or Texas?

to redistribute the weight, you need to move roughly 300lbs from the right to the left, correct?
you identified 219lbs so far (60+125+34).
Another 81lbs to go, which shouldn't be too hard to find but that's close enough even without it, no?
heck, if you store all your beer on the left side you'll be good to go
your storage box idea sounds like a nice amenity to have regardless.

never looked but wouldn't the stock fuel tank on a Sprinter be centered to the vehicle like in a passenger car or regular Ford type van?

Keep us posted.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #7

Sportsmobile Texas did the conversion, and yes, I have the LB.

If I mounted some kegs on the left side everyone would know when I had tapped them because I would start to lean.

Was thinking about an oversized water supply as ballast for the difference. If I had a heavy load, I could always dump some water...
Old 11-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Well if nothing else, you now have a name for your SMB; Eileen.

Herb
Old 11-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #9

Mercedes does not allow the load being unbalanced. The anti-skid, rollover, traction stuff works properly only if the side to side load is in balnce.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Sportsmobile Texas did the conversion, and yes, I have the LB.

If I mounted some kegs on the left side everyone would know when I had tapped them because I would start to lean.

Was thinking about an oversized water supply as ballast for the difference. If I had a heavy load, I could always dump some water...
good idea. if the water tanks and drain tanks are on the same side your weight distribution shouldn't change much during use.

so wouldn't the responsibility be on the uplifter to make sure the load is balanced, especially if they are certified by MBenz to work on Sprinters?

it seems the van would have been listing prior to you picking up the van or were they banking that your canoe would balance the load. 600lbs on the left side between you and the canoe wouldn't add up. Plus if I was the uplifter doing the conversion I'd find out what the weight of the canoe is ahead of time in checking the design along with any other devices the user planned to put in the van. I guess it's water over the dam at this point except for who is paying for the changes. Hopefully you're not too far away from Austin for the correction work. I've heard Paul in Texas is a decent guy so I'm sure he'll make it right.

Side question - besides load distribution, does SMB evaluate what the conversion will weigh as part of the design process?
You mentioned that you are 600lbs under gross vehicle weight. That got me thinking. I keep adding all this cabinetry to our design without any regard for total added weight. You can also add in heavy items like extra house batteries, larger water tanks and holding tanks. There has to be limit and I would guess this should be checked when reviewing a custom design, no?