Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #1

Sprinter 170 high roof 4x4 build

Sportsmobile is building out a 170 4x4 High roof for me. Drivers Side- 1.36" Shower/Toilet cassette toilet 2. Isotherm 130 fridge with a microwave convection oven above fridge and some storage. 3.16" Closet for hanging 4. 68" sofa on both sides that folds into a 68"x70" bed. 5.Garage Space 24" x70" for two hanging road bikes on opposite walls with a outside shower installed. Passenger side 1.42" Galley with 18"pullout Wallas Diesel stove/ heater and stainless sink with a pullout faucet. 2. 10" low pantry. Cabinets above bed and across the back for storage. Other options I am going with are air compressor hookup at the rear next to the hitch a solar panel on the roof along with AC and TV satellite dish and Thule Box to store. Aluminess ladder on the drivers side to get to the box . Windows. Passenger side has the window from the factory then a fixed window with an awning window toward the rear. Drivers side a Awning window toward the back then a fixed window and one smaller window located where the shower/ toilet is.
I am also thiking of putting a " Golight" on the roof with a remote control centered at the front. Anyone have any experience with this? some other options I am going with are swapping out the factory tires with some beefier ones and Linex from the trim panel down and a blacked out hood as they do on their 144's. Fiama awning, No snorkel and the color of the vehicle is non metallic Graphite Grey. Any input is much appreciated as I have been working on the design for months waiting for the vehicle and it is now BUILD TIME!

Sterno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #2

Is this the extended wheel base? I can't remember the code for that.
dford415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #3

Do you have the design drawing yet? You gave a good description but a floor plan would help.
You said you were installing a cassette toilet so that tells me Fresno isn't doing the build, Texas or Indiana?
Also curious how long you have been waiting in line for the build to start. As for me, I'm still waiting....
Old 05-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #4

it is a 170 not extended. They do not make a 4x4 in the extended. The vehicle was ordered in October. I wonder why Fresno isn't doing a cassette toilet. From talking to all three locations I felt Paul was the best at Austin. From my research it is the way to go rather then the standard RV Toilet that the only place to get rid of waste is at a dump site. It cost more but This is what they are doing in Europe and also Earth Roamer etc. Yes I have a design drawing. What color is your Sprinter going to be?
Old 05-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #5

My Pebble Grey 144" Sprinter is sitting in Austin waiting it's turn, what pictures I have of it are in my album. I am working with Paul and Brian, last week I was told they are working on the 3D design drawings. So far they have been very responsive to everything I have asked. It sounds like you are ahead of me in line, thus I will be very interested to follow your progress.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:28 PM   #6

I think the information here is great. One correction, Mercedes does do the 170 wheel base ext in a 4x4. I'm a rookie at this and hope I've done the right thing getting one since I have one on order and the build is scheduled (the Mercedes build) for June. My wife and I had a VW camper back in the early '70's in Colorado and always wished we had 4 wheel drive. We don't expect it to be much good off road but do expect to use it on a lot of snowy roads.
dford415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterno View Post
I wonder why Fresno isn't doing a cassette toilet.
I was talking to Brian about this and if push comes to shove, they will. They prefer not to cut holes in the walls if it isn't necessary. Brian says Fresno's position is that a cassette toilet is not much different than a port-potti. You empty it pretty much the same way. (My own feeling is that I have to carry the tank through the van and would rather just pull it through the wall.) Brian also pointed out that the entire port-potty can be moved out of a shower enclosure, giving you more room to stand while showering.

Again, he said they prefer not to do it, but if it means getting your order rather than losing your business to the Texas facility, they will put it in.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #8

We originally wanted a cassette pulled out the side, but Brian talked us out of it. It fixes the toilet in one position, and as toilets are upgraded over time, it makes it tough make that change. With a porta potti you get the same cassette style of toilet, but with the ability to move the toilet around when showering, and easily upgrade if new versions come out. It also takes up less room in the bathroom since it's all one unit, rather than needing to build the slide mechanism.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #9

Texas put mine in and there has been no issue. I agree with opening a door on the outside rather then carting the waste thru the interior.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Brian also pointed out that the entire port-potty can be moved out of a shower enclosure, giving you more room to stand while showering...
I can personally confirm the benefit of moving the porta-potti into the aisle for showering. It makes the smallest 33" toilet/shower enclosure completely viable. And those inches really matter on the 144 short wheelbase Sprinter.

We originally rented a Sportsmobile Sprinter from Campervan North America with the cassette toilet option. It worked fine and was a little easier to dump, but also requires a fairly large cutout in the van where the flat cassette portal doesn't fit flush with the curved Sprinter sidewalls. Seemed like a potential future trouble area when driving on rough roads where the Sprinter unibody would be flexed.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote