Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #1

Sprinter 4X4 RB High Top AC Options with Dogs

Hello All,

I just found and joined this great forum. Excellent information and a good learning and planning tool.

We are in the final rundown to having our long awaited Sprinter delivered to the Fresno factory after our nearly year long wait. Some trepidation there on 2017's clearing the certification hurdle but Brian states that happened in May. We're looking forward to the bare van being delivered in September and getting the project underway.

My question has to do with AC. For general use the van is a PNW van for summer back road and winter ski area journeys. Trip's to BC Canada and up to Alaska planned. I've ordered just about every screen possible and for camping use in summer, even Eastern Washington or Montana hot days, we do not need AC for our camping use. Also plan on at least one roof vent, maybe two.

However, we will be travelling with two dogs who generally roam the trails with us. I've been debating the AC we need with the van parked in town where we need to shop, have a meal, maybe do laundry and the dogs are in the van by themselves. We're getting the remote start/page system which shows the temp inside the van on a small FOB/Remote. This is for a max 1-2 hour time period depending on the needs of the town visit.

So that is the build-up and the question becomes: For super hot days in the 90's in PNW type summers (definitely not Florida type summers) will the cab van AC suffice to keep the van cool with the van running in anyone's experience or do we need to add another AC just for this use (Rooftop or Pro Air)? My preference is no but the dogs are part of any long trips we take and we need to know we can leave them in the van for 1-2 hour periods if need be. I feel confident that for most weather scenarios we will be able to keep the van cool with rooftop vents and screens in the cab windows, but super-hot (for the Northwest anyway) days may require more.

Another option I thought of as I don't really want to add the AC: Have Sportmobile wire the van for the Pro Air AC for possible future install if we decide it is needed. Has anyone had a Pro Air added at some point after their initial delivery?

Any dog owners who have their pets with them when they travel I'd love to hear your input.

Everything else I feel very confident in our choices and eventual use of, from D5 heating to roof rack, Isotherm frig/freezer, etc. But any comments are welcome.

Backcountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #2

Suggest you pm Dawghandler, lots of applicable lessons learned there.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:23 AM   #3

Keep in mind the Sprinter can't be idled for long periods. Actually any modern diesel, unless you have the high-idle option. I don't know if high-idle is compatible with remote start. It's not on the domestic trucks and vans, which use the cruise control buttons to control idle.

Also I wouldn't rely on dash only air in any van. They all need rear air to keep cool in the sun.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #4

Thanks both for your quick reply. We do have the high-idle option. I'll need to check on the compatibility with the remote start.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #5

Second alternator, larger inverter? Suggest you discuss these options with SMB with the thought that the van will be idling for an hour or two at a time with the rear AC on keeping the dogs cool.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #6

Yes, 2nd alternator, larger inverter, 2 4D AGM batteries. It seems like the pro air or rooftop will be needed from the comments I've received.

We would need to find another place for the porta-pottie if we went with the pro air unit.

The rooftop would work off the inverter but we'd loose the storage space with the aluminess rack. We'd plan to put our skis/snowboards up there in winter and two kayaks in summer.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #7

BTW way Fitz, thoroughly enjoyed your pictures and posts. Good stuff. Looking forward to doing the same on our first drive up the coast to Washington this December, if all goes to plan.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:06 AM   #8

I should clarify what I said meant remote start and high-idle.

On the domestics, you have to manually set idle speed after the truck is running. You can keep it running at high idle without the key and turn it off, but if you remote-start the truck, it won't automatically default to high-idle.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #9

Thanks, I don't know that we would need to remote start, the FOB is mostly for the temp display so we can monitor the interior temp while away from the vehicle. We'd mostly set the parking brake, adjust the high idle and AC controls as needed, and leave the vehicle locked in that configuration while away. And really, knowing us, one of us would be checking every 30 minutes or so regardless. Probably only remote start after coming down off a trail on a hot day to get the interior a bit cool before driving off.

I have the remote start on my 4Runner and I only really use it for that so that by the time we drive from the trailhead the interior is cool for the dogs.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryguy View Post
BTW way Fitz, thoroughly enjoyed your pictures and posts. Good stuff. Looking forward to doing the same on our first drive up the coast to Washington this December, if all goes to plan.
Glad you enjoyed the posts, hopefully you found some of the information helpful.

We are in the Bay Area (Walnut Creek), consider this an invitation to drop by on your way (and show off your new rig) after you leave Fresno and head north.