Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #41

Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER & TOILET

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangatangs
Not sure what people see in the Outside Vans/Van Specialties website.
For some the glass is half full, for others it's half empty.
From my perspective if I can pick up one design idea from a picture found on a website then the website is worthwhile to me. Sometimes one piece of the puzzle can help a whole design flow.
Other upfitter's websites and blogs showing what folks did on their builds are very valuable to me as I sort through the design process.
Best of luck with your build.

BTW - on some chicks pink hair is kind of hot, no?

windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyone
windguy,

Those Westfalia's are pretty sweet...too bad they're unavailable here!
For time being, will change...
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangatangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
I checked out Van Specialties. They've got a great website with lots of pics of Sprinter conversions they've done, which is what I'm interested in. Others might be too so here's the link.
http://vanspecialties.com/sprinter_vans.htm
yeah, I know it's not an SMB but you might get some build ideas
Not sure what people see in the Outside Vans/Van Specialties website. All I see is pictures of people with pink hair pursuing their own narcissistic dreams, not a company offering products that other people might want to buy. We couldn't find a single floorplan, or any discussion of various heating, water, sleeping, or other basic infrastructure options. It was all just "trust us, we're cool, we'll build you a cool vehicle and if you don't like it then you are just not cool." We test drove an Outside Vans conversion before ordering our SMB and got a quote from them. Their quote was almost identical to SMB West's but nowhere near as detailed about what we would actually get for our money. We were sold on the Sprinter chassis, but not on Outside Vans doing the conversion. Haven't taken delivery of our SMB yet, but looking again at the "competition" website we are confident we made the right choice.
The Outside Vans/Van Specialties sites do leave a lot to be desired, as does nearly every other upfitter except Sportsmobile. What makes SMB nice is their detail when it comes to details...All the other outfits seem to leave you guessing as to what they put in your vans.

Like windguy, I get a kick out of surfing the various forums, sites, blogs, etc. for any bit of info I can gather that will help with my build. I've got links out the wazoo and lots of great ideas from not only the forums, but from talking with other Sprinter/SMB/Class B owners. This will be my first RV purchase, hopefully my last for many years, and I want to get it right!
frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #44

on the van specialties shop since you live in Portland (frostyone)...

My wife and i dropped our express van off their this week to have the 24" top and other items installed. We were really impressed with Rob and the crew. The shop looked like a _shop_ with tools and equipment everywhere one looked. And we walked through a few vans and liked what we saw. What i did see was nice interior grade lumber rather than the heavy press wood i've seen in a friend's SMB (that has wood warps/bubbles from simple liquid spills). . . but maybe that has changed since his is a few years old? Anyway, thumbs up for VS imo. And you can have it your way. Draw up your ideas and Rob is happy to walk through ideas with the potential customer. When we were talking, he stated they currently have 23 van projects in the shop. Somebody believes in them : )

cheers, and best wishes on your build/purchase.
thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #45

When I visited SMB West almost one year ago, they had switched to marine quality plywood for their conversions and were no longer using MDF. They had also begun installing solid surface counter tops as a standard item in place of the laminated counter tops they used to use.

HTH

RL
RickL is offline   Reply With Quote