Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #1

Sprinter Gas 4 cyl or Ford Transit Eco Boost

I currently have a 2020 Ford Transit Cargo van extended length, high roof van on order. With the Eco-Boost engine and lots of upgrades, etc. Should be coming in October.

Originally I was looking at the 2020 MB Sprinter 2500 cargo van with a gasoline engine, 170 wheelbase, high roof, etc. The specs for the MB are below. I went with the Ford because the MB 4 cylinder gas vans were not getting released by the EPA. Just learned they were released last week and starting to arrive at dealers (kind of late for a 2020 model).

The MB is actually several thousand cheaper than the Ford. I am planning to convert it for stealth camping. Some people have told me to go with the Ford because it will have a more powerful engine, more weight capacity, etc.
Some have told me to go with the MB gas sprinter because the gas mileage with the 4 cylinder turbo will be better.

I estimate that my build out will be well within the max capacity as provided by MB.

I am NOT interested in a MB diesel for many reasons.

Im looking for more opinions on whether I should go with the 2020 MB 2500 high roof 4 cylinder gas, or stick with the 2020 Ford Transit van 250 with turbo boost engine.

Thanks!

4 Cylinder Gas
188 hp at 5,000 rpm
1,991 cc displacement
Electronically controlled direct injection
9-speed automatic transmission
Interior Cargo Length: 173.6 in.
Interior Standing Height: 79.1 in.
Cargo Volume: 488.1 cu. ft.
Payload: 4,012 lbs.
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 9,050 lbs.

Scott Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #2

The MB gas motor isn't even in the same class. Stick with the EcoBoost. My Focus has a 2.0L turbo 4-cyl that makes 250 hp. No way would ever consider that in anything remotely full-sized. I doubt it'll even be more efficient than the EcoBoost, since a motor that small will have to be in boost all the time.

That said... if you can test drive one loaded with ballast, I'd love to hear a review on it.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #3

Agreed. When picking you your van, unless you are driving it 20k miles per year, you will never make up in fuel savings what you lost in drivability. The ecoboost is awesome.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Additionally, the ability to have the Transit serviced, and probably the cost of service, should definitely favor the Transit. Very important if traveling the back-roads.

Herb
Old 09-30-2020, 12:43 PM   #5

Stay with Transit.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #6

A couple more thoughts...

If cost is your concern, why not consider the base 3.5L non-turbo Transit. It's still far more powerful than the Sprinter.

Also, if you think you might be pushing the rating of the 9,050 GVWR van, why not go with a higher GVWR? Seems odd to neuter your capacity when you can simply bump up to the next GVWR.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:35 AM   #7

CarringB, do you mean the 3.7 na or is there a new option?

If 3.7 I’ve heard it’s a dog and hunts all the time when loaded heavy.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:15 AM   #8

The 3.5L replaces the 3.7L for 2020.

You are right that leak HP comes on at a high RPM, but not much higher than the MB 2.0L.

The 10-speed should help it find a good ratio to take advantage of its 275 HP. Of course, EcoBoost will out-perform it easily. But I just wasn’t sure why the OP was comparing the base MB motor to the premium Ford motor.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...Tech_Specs.pdf
Old 10-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
CarringB, do you mean the 3.7 na or is there a new option?

If 3.7 I’ve heard it’s a dog and hunts all the time when loaded heavy.
We have a 2016 Transit passenger w/30k miles. We pulled out most of the seats and did a mild camper upfit. It's got the 3.7 non turbo on the six speed and a set of slightly oversized Cooper Discoverer AT's (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...m=475R6DALTOWL).
I've been hauling our 19 foot Shasta Airflyte all over the country with it (3000lbs) and have lots of gear in the van - along with two kids. I've had little trouble keeping the van at 55-60 even on some wicked grades, but of course, that's with it revving at 5K or so. Shift on the fly manual at the shift lever is awesome for both up and downhills and prevents the tranny from hunting (and as I understand it, it's better for the trans to manually shift in steep stuff anyway). Going up to Mt. Rushmore, I did put her in first and kept her at around 35 mph. Pulled up Hwy 50 from Sacto to Tahoe a few days ago w/ground temps at 100 degrees F and the temp gauge stayed exactly in the middle. Going down steep Route 20 towards Chico last week, second gear kept the van at decent speeds without smoking the brakes.

Would I prefer the ecoboost for out west? Sure? But we got a smoking deal on this rig - Ford Certified - I couldn't pass up. Averaging around 12mpg w/the camper tho. Ouch.

I'm very happy with it. The passenger model has great rear a/c, side airbags in back, giant windows and putting in a platform bed was a cinch. There are actually ledges in back you can just post the bed up on top of without even having to put legs on the bed platform. Take out all the seats and you also have a ton of burly hold down anchors for lashing down anything from an ARB fridge to storage boxes to the aforementioned bed. Added in a VW Westfalia rotating table for good measure. Ford dealerships everywhere is a nice security blanket.

Attached Thumbnails
TransitShasta - 1.jpg  
dixoncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:17 AM   #10

2017 Transit w/ non-turbo engine

We have a 2017 T250 Transit with the std engine (non eco-boost). No problems going up mountain grades and maintaining hwy speeds. I love the manual mode for engine braking on down grades. Only issue is a lack of acceleration on things like short freeway entrances, revs a lot. So if you are not using it daily in a metro area w/ freeways the std engine is just fine, saves a few bucks and is less complicated in case of repairs.
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote