Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #1

The end of diesel Sprinters...?

Mercedes-Benz undecided if it will sell future U.S. diesels | Reuters

Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz USA chief said the German automaker has not decided whether to resume selling diesel vehicles in the United States.

The German automaker has not received approval from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to sell 2017 model diesel vehicles.

The EPA said in September 2015 that it would review all U.S. diesel vehicles following an admission from Volkswagen AG that it had installed software in cars allowing them to emit up to 40 times legally permissible level of pollution.
/snip

Mercedes-Benz may stop selling diesels in U.S. | KATV

In the wake of the Dieselgate crisis, selling diesels has become a dicey proposition--and not just for Volkswagen. The debate around diesels has been especially heated in the U.S., which has some of the planet's strictest emissions regulations and where diesels have never really caught on anyway.

Some automakers have said that they'll keep trying to sell diesels in America after Dieselgate dies down, but Daimler subsidiary Mercedes-Benz may be throwing in the towel for good.
/snip
Around the same time, the Environmental Protection Agency launched an investigation of those vehicles. Ultimately, it declined to approve any Mercedes diesels for sale in the U.S for the 2017 model year. To this day, the fate of the company's diesels remains in doubt.
/snip

michaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:00 PM   #2

That's disheartening for the Sprinter enthusiasts. Gonna mean less support for those vehicles and that means no 4x4's coming in (I think) as those were strictly diesel.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #3

Garage
Aw, gee, that would be a real shame. I was hanging onto that build for a dozen or so years from now when I don't need to tow anything and want that height. Knowing the market, tho, I'm betting something will happen to brighten this dark horizon.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #4

This really concerns me, as I have submitted an order with SMB-W. The thing is, I have heard no one say that SMB has notified them of a problem. Now just because I haven't heard of a problem certainly doesn't mean one doesn't exist. So, I ask:

Have any of you recently taken possession of a 2017 Sprinter diesel build?

Have any of you been told by SMB that your order is being held up due to this problem?
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:26 PM   #5

Well I may have spoken out of turn above. I think MB as well as all the other euro Diesel importers will have to decide if they want to make their engines fully compliant after VW got them busted.

I do hope your build goes through without issue. Never hurt to give a call, SMB would know if there is an issue considering they are pumping them out of there.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:12 PM   #6

I just went on the Mercedes web site and it allows me to "build" a sprinter 4x4. Is it true they've stopped shipping them to the US?
dford415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #7

Three weeks ago, my local Freightliner dealer took my 2017 Sprinter order and they sent me a confirmation letter that my order went through. They certainly weren't aware of any ordering issues although they haven't received any 2017 models at their dealership yet. I have a build date at SMB Indiana for next winter.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #8

I sent an email to Brian Furrow, my build manager @ SMB West, asking him to tell me what he knows about the situation. I will copy/paste his reply here.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #9

Browsing my local dealer, they have tons of new 2016 models still, and new 2017 model but only DRW models.

So my theory.... they cranked up 2016 model production and kept making them through the end of the year, when normally they would switchover model year mid-summer. Since 2016 certificates were not revoked, they can keep selling them.

The dually models, both vans and cutaways, are over 10,000 pounds GVWR which means the emissions standard is slightly less stringent, so they must have received a certificate for those models...

McCoy Freightliner
Old 04-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #10

FLUX and MichaelF, et al:
Neither of these articles names the Sprinter outright. Doesn't clear it or relieve any worry, but the Sprinter as of yet is not the focus of these articles. It's Diesels, in umbrella language, but namely the GL320 car that has recently been put on hold without a plan to introduce it in the USA.
I'm waiting fro a van to arrive sometime around the end of this calendar year, maybe it will maybe it won't. But, we forester are working out Plan B and C!
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote