Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #1

The Sprinters Are Coming!

My wife and I were at Sportsmobile West on Aug 14, and the place is bursting at the seams with Sprinters! The photo below shows a lineup of high-roofs in the north parking lot. There were half a dozen or so low-roofs out front. More in the south parking area. And inside, there were a bunch more in various phases of production.

Included in the production lineup was our new 2015 4x4 high-roof 144!! Work has not begun on it yet, but delivery is expected in November.

Hopefully, we will begin to see some forum posts from all these new Sprinter owners as their vans get delivered.

Some of the other Sprinters:
Attached Thumbnails
Sprinters at SMBW.jpg  

WestyToSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #2

Re: The Sprinters Are Coming!

Hoping one arriving soon is our 4x4 low top. Trying to be patient waiting for Jonathan to call and say he's ready to begin work.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #3

He said they are booked for the next year a couple of weeks ago. Wonder how much business they are losing due to long wait times.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #4

Very little I bet. There simply isn't much competition. There is some, but not much, and anyone active on this forum is probably noticing the huge surge in van dwellers, van fans, and bug out types lately. Not a bad thing, but our numbers are certainly growing. Seems to me it would be a really great time for Ford to produce the E-series for a few more years!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #5

My build starts Tuesday on a 4x4 pop top. Excited to take delivery in November.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestyToSMB
My wife and I were at Sportsmobile West on Aug 14, and the place is bursting at the seams with Sprinters!
Did you happen to notice how many were 4x4s? I'm assuming it might become pretty standard for anyone getting a SMB Sprinter, although perhaps some would forgo 4wd to get the I4 / 7 speed drivetrain?
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteM
Did you happen to notice how many were 4x4s? I'm assuming it might become pretty standard for anyone getting a SMB Sprinter, although perhaps some would forgo 4wd to get the I4 / 7 speed drivetrain?
PeteM, I got the sense that most were 4x4s, based on my perception of the amount of clearance in the wheel wells. This might sound strange, but before our SMBW visit I had never been around 4x4 Sprinters before, and don't exactly know how to tell which ones are 4x4. Maybe there is even a 4x4 badge on the outside or something, but I guess we were so excited to see our van that we failed to notice.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestyToSMB
... don't exactly know how to tell which ones are 4x4. Maybe there is even a 4x4 badge on the outside or something...
Ok, that was kind of lame of me. I went back and looked at my pictures, and there is indeed a 4x4 badge on the rear-right of the van.

This photo shows the 4x4 badge on a van that also has the SMB swing-out tire rack on it. I was comparing the rear clearance of this van with the blue one next to it, which has no tire rack and had very little weight in the back.
Attached Thumbnails
4x4 with tire rack.jpg  
Old 08-31-2015, 08:23 PM   #9

Newbie here. My wife and I ordered a Sprinter LB back in April and it should be showing up at Sportsmobile any day now. And we're not scheduled to go into production until late November with delivery in March.

Once we decided to go, the time seems to be passing so slowly! We are working with Sportsmobile to do some custom interior stuff - different than what they normally offer. Think 50's diner. After some time with a series of shakedown trips, we plan to sell our house and head off to explore the USA for a few years.

Will share updates once things get started...
mreinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:45 PM   #10

Got the word from SMB West our van has arrived. Build out to begin soon. Delivery target November.