Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2017, 03:18 AM   #1

Undercarriage Axillary Water Tanks

I am trying to maintain some storage in my 144" Sprinter build. I need a large lithium battery and SMB puts that inside due to lithium freezing. I am hoping I might be able to drop part of this into the place where the spare normally goes, but I want 600-900 Ah, and am doubtful it could fit there even if SMB is willing to place it there.

I also want to carry extra water. SMB also keeps the water inside the van so it won't freeze. I do not plan to take the van to places that will have freezing weather. We will use a D5 for water heating and will have en exterior shower at the rear doors. I am considering placing an auxiliary water tank beneath the van and pumping more to a small main interior tank if necessary when we are doing extended remote camping. Several of us are considering aux fuel tanks on our Sprinters and I need to think about where I would put an aux fuel tank and an aux water tank in addition to this large lithium battery so that I can balance the weight.

Any feedback you can give re. manufacturers, quality, size, location, mounting methods, transfer pumps, etc. for aux undercarriage water tanks would be appreciated. This is for a 144" Sprinter, but any advice is appreciated. For the sake of gaining interior storage, I might even consider removing the interior water and going only with undercarriage water. This would lower the center of gravity-an added bonus.

Also, a couple of things I don't know that would be helpful are: What are the capacity and dimensions of the different water tanks SMB offers? Where is the exact location of the diesel tank on a 144" Sprinter? I can't find a diagram anywhere on Google. Anyone having a diagram to post would be super.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Where is the exact location of the diesel tank on a 144" Sprinter? I can't find a diagram anywhere on Google. Anyone having a diagram to post would be super.
A couple of suggestions:
1. Look at the Van Compass fuel tank skid plate installation instructions. Good pictures of the fuel tank to be found there.
2. Tell me what dimensions you need and I'll crawl under the van and get them for you.
3. Find a Sprinter and measure away! For instance, mine (with all skid plates installed and plenty of beer in the garage fridge) is sitting in the backyard with ready access to you.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #3

A few of the RV water tank sellers on eBay will make custom sizes. I had mine custom sized a few years ago but my purchase history doesn't go back far enough to find it.

Ray (1der) also knows of a place that does custom plastic tanks/enclosures.

You could always add a tank heater for an outdoor tank.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #4

I had a local sheet metal shop build me one out of stainless steel. they put tabs on it so it would bolt right to the frame. It was not much more than a custom plastic.
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #5

Fitz, I think I'll take you up on that soon. We'll have no propane or black tank, but I need to think about weight distribution and COG for a large lithium battery, aux fuel tank, aux water tank, and small grey tank. With you being a mechanical engineer and so familiar with these rigs, how could I pass on an offer like that?

4x4sporty, I'd much prefer fabricated metal than plastic. I'm gonna have some homework now, looking for fabricators in a new city after I move. Thanks for the suggestion.

89Scotty, yea, a tank heater is a good thought. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #6

TomH,

I have another planner coming over next Sunday afternoon, feel free to join us.

ps. Civil Engineer and proud of it!
Old 09-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #7

Thanks Fitz. Apologies for the mistake! We will be in Phoenix, moving daughter from summer job back to CalPoly
Old 09-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #8

Flint is available to you most anytime, just so long as we aren't out on the road using him!

Three of the four daughters graduated from Cal Poly, really good experience for the whole family.