Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #1

Garage
Van arrived at SMW finally! Good news, bad news...

Good news is it's finally there.
Bad news is:
"The main items include:
Chipped Paint on Right Cargo Door
Scratch on Right Cargo Door
Scratch on Rocker Panel
When turning on the wipers the fluid shout of of the highlight area and bottom of driver side of van."
Not real happy about paying close to $50K for a vehicle this damaged at the start line.
Hoping SM is a different story for the build.
Kind of breaks my heart to hear this just when we were so excited to finally actually buy something like this.

hildems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:43 PM   #2

Re: Van arrived at SMW finally! Good news, bad news...

Sorry to hear of the damage. What was the make and model of your van?
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #3

Garage

All those things can be fixed just fine. Don't lose the joy!
Old 02-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildems
Not real happy about paying close to $50K for a vehicle this damaged at the start line.
I had a similar problem from a Ford F purchase for my work. The truck was dropped shipped to a upfitter and then to us, never saw the dealer.

When they delivered, it looked like a white leopard - the paint was so speckled on the front half of the cab. Pretty obvious gray primer spots (about 50%) coverage looked like maybe oil contamination prior to color coat. We refused delivery (with a $18000 body and equipment) and Ford jumped to make it right. My dealer told me they often come in like that and are fixed by the dealer before we see them. Ours was supposedly a chemical burn received in transit.
Firetrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #5

Garage

Van is 2500 RB getting a PH top and gaucho, cabinets etc-no bath. Has every single safety feature Mercedes offered, swivel seats, windows all around, silver metallic pearl. It is a huge purchase for us and we take really good care of our stuff so it was sad to hear of the damage. SMW and Mercedes will hopefully work it out and make it right but it is still hard to stomach right now. Hard to pay for something that expensive knowing that if we had seen it on the lot we would never have bought it.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildems
It is a huge purchase for us and we take really good care of our stuff so it was sad to hear of the damage. SMW and Mercedes will hopefully work it out and make it right but it is still hard to stomach right now. Hard to pay for something that expensive knowing that if we had seen it on the lot we would never have bought it.
Have you accepted the vehicle yet - signed the paperwork? I assume you would not do that until you receive the van from SMB. You can refuse delivery and let Mercedes know why. I am sure SMB will help you since I assume you had it drop shipped there.

It may be a delay, but you will get it fixed or replaced with no money from you (you may even get a discount for your trouble) You need not worry at all.
Firetrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #7

Update?
I'd like to know if SMB and MBUSA took better care of you than they did for us.
Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #8

Garage

Visited Fresno SMB on Wed and got to see the van and finalize the build. Both SMB and Mercedes Sacramento where we bought the van have worked together to resolve the repair work, which really is minimal. Grateful for all the help both places gave us! Waiting 3 months to get it will go quickly I am sure and we will have an incredible van to travel with. thanks for all the encouraging comments! One question maybe you guys can help with is the balance of the van--ours seems like it might be heavy on the driver side vs passenger.
Driver has gaucho with 20 gallon H2O tank, inverter, D5 and cabinets up to the back of wheel wells
Passenger has galley with sink and H2O filter, micro, ref, and cabinets up to the back of wheel wells
Also has a PH top so that should be equally balanced, one solar panel with a Thule box a bit off center
I am sure SMB takes all of this into consideration but it just seemed a bit off balance?
Happy to have finally signed off on the build after endless questions to Nick, poor guy!
Old 04-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #9

Garage

Latest:
Top on, cabinets going in, systems in about 2 weeks and then possible final build out the end of April! One MONTH ahead of time! Bam!
Old 04-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #10

Garage

We pick up the van next Tues, a full month ahead of schedule! Just wanted to thank a couple people who made this van a reality. First was Loren Wilson of Sprinter of Sacramento. He went above and beyond to get us what we wanted and more. He is a fleet manager and got things put into our van that are not usually possible to do for the general public and gave us an incredible discount in the process. I can't recommend him enough if you are thinking about a new van.
Second, and by no means any less important than Loren would be our contact at Sportsmobile, Nick. He patiently and thoroughly guided us through the most daunting process to get us what we wanted. It was never easy and many times incredibly frustrating but he always answered our questions in a timely manner and tried his best to accommodate any weird requests we had. Together these guys made a dream come true.
The van is ready in record time and we didn't even get a chance to visit it during the build because it happened so quickly. I cannot wait and will post pictures and write a final report when we get home. I will also include some ideas on how to make the entire process a bit less painful. At the start we were told to trust the process and so far that suggestion has proved true.