Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #1

What Sprinter specific maintenance items do you carry?

Hello All,

When you are getting ready for a trip what do you make sure is on your check list. This would be Sprinter specific.

Items like engine oil. I usually carry engine oil on a trip but what comes in the Sprinter from the factory so what should I carry on the road?

Do you carry DEF fluid (Bluestuff) if you have the small tank up front? How often do you need to top off, if you do?

Any special tools or routinely used tools specific to the Sprinter?

As a well traveled Sprinter owner what have you learned to bring with you that might not be immediately apparent to the newbie?

Thanks in advance?

Chumley
Proud Caretaker of "Charlie Phoenix"

Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #2

What do you take on long trips that is Sprinter specific?

My 2011 sprinter goes for about 9k miles before needing DEF. The tank takes about five gallons to fill when the warning light goes on.
I carry spare headlight bulbs as I've had two burn out in my 25,000 of driving. I also had a rear turn signal light go out, so I carry the proper tork driver to get the rear light assembly off so ill be able to replace them on the road next time.
DonSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #3

Re: What Sprinter specific maintenance items do you carry?

My 2012 2500 engine bay sticker says it has Mobil 1 oil in it. The DEF is available from any Freightliner dealer or NAPA auto shop. It is very similar to ammonia in chemistry and odor. I would not recommend carrying extra DEF inside the vehicle in case of leaks or a serious accident. My instrument panel gives a read out of the oil, transmission and DEF levels via scrolling the menu on the steering wheel. I carry a metric tool set, diesel proof disposable gloves (self serve stations seem to always have messy diesel spouts) and some sort of folding mat to lay on if you have to inspect something under the vehicle.
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #4

Well I just returned from about 3,300 miles of roaming around the Southwest and learned a little about what to carry for routine maintenance.

I carried the motor oil I picked up at the Mercedes shop since I had a heck of a time finding the right oil at a parts store. Didn't burn a drop but surmise it is only because I had the oil.

I purchased a small bottle of AdBlue DEF from the same shop at the recommendation of the service advisor. He felt it would not be needed but why not carry it?

Funny coincidence here at the dealership's service area. The service advisor and I were talking and I was telling him I was new to Mercedes and got around to telling him that I got my Sprinter converted to a motorhome. He said that his brother has one converted by Sportsmobile and then I notice that his name plate had the same last name as the person who was so influential in my decision to pursue a Sprinter based rig. Turns out he is the brother of the person I had mentioned (I mentioned him early in my "Build" thread elsewhere). Small world. So there is an added layer of trust now.

This gets complicated and I will post this in my "Build" thread but here goes. At about 4,300 miles the "check the DEF tank level" warning comes on. We're on Hwy 89 between Page, AZ and Kanab, UT - officially nowhere. Why did the warning come on? I was told I should be good until at least about 9,500 miles. About now I think I am brilliant for bringing the bottle of Adblue and dump it in (pretty cool pouring spout thingie too). Warning light should go out on its own now. Light is still on a hundred miles later. Crap. Finally get a phone signal and stop and talk to my shop. I can't reach my advisor so talk to the new guy who is really helpful but is going to the shop to ask questions. It sucks to be in a hurry - this is the Monument Valley to Death Valley drive day and don't have time to sit. Turns out that there is a possible known "calibration" issue and it may need to be brought in to be recalibrated. This is where I start worrying about the 16 starts left countdown and he tells me that the countdown may not be linear - meaning that depending on how I drive I could have 15 starts and then at the next stop only 10! No way of knowing if it is going to happen so theoretically I could stop with 5 to go and then it won't start again! Am I cursed or something? Why me... The light goes out for good the next day sometime and I never reach the "countdown to the last start". Whew.

I do a little research when I get home and find out that the vans are delivered to the dealer with only 1 1/2 gallons of DEF in the tank. Hmmm... that has been rumored to be about 3,500 - 4,500 miles worth. I may not have had the tank topped off by the dealer at prep? Either way it goes to the dealer soon. Note: under the hood a note says to add a minimum of 2 gallons of DEF if you add any...

I will always carry some AdBlue now in the space under an ottoman where it is relatively safe.

As Spenard said I will also carry a basic tool set.

I carry electrical tape and foam mounting tape for all of the little things that pop up, or in my case pop off.

I carry some adhesive backed felt and silicone circles so I can isolate items from rubbing/bumping.

I carry a couple rolls of those little Velcro straps so I can bundle items tightly so they don't rattle.

I carry painter's "blue tape" for about everything.

I always carry some stainless steel wire on a little spool but that is not specific to this rig.

I have had issues with my shower stall so will now carry some silicone sealant.

That's about what I have figured out to date and will add more as it becomes apparent.

Chumley
Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #5

What Sprinter specific maintenance items do you carry?

Headlight bulbs! Buy em cheap online or local because they won't be cheap or possibly even available when you need them! Practice swapping them out at home. They are tricky little suckers (at least on the later model Sprinters) and you have to be very careful to not touch the glass! I more or less kept several Sprinters and other fleet vans going for a few years at a remote location and was astounded how quickly Sprinters ate headlight bulbs. Maintenance started sending them to me by the case and I got to where I could swap one out on about 30 seconds.

DEF is getting pretty common at the pump at most eastern truck stops, and if not they have it inside by the gallon or box. That is unless the Sprinter takes a certain type I haven't heard of.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenard
My 2012 2500 engine bay sticker says it has Mobil 1 oil in it. The DEF is available from any Freightliner dealer or NAPA auto shop. It is very similar to ammonia in chemistry and odor. I would not recommend carrying extra DEF inside the vehicle in case of leaks or a serious accident. My instrument panel gives a read out of the oil, transmission and DEF levels via scrolling the menu on the steering wheel. I carry a metric tool set, diesel proof disposable gloves (self serve stations seem to always have messy diesel spouts) and some sort of folding mat to lay on if you have to inspect something under the vehicle.
Do not mistake mobil 1 , for mobil 1 ESP.... you MUST USE mobil1ESP (or equivalent ) (Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-40 meets the MB sheet 229.51 specification ) , or you will clog up your DPF filter
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote