Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #1

Whitefeather 4X4 conversion

Seems like this is the only company at least on the west coast that does the conversion anymore.
After using my 2006 SMB Sprinter for 6 years now I think I'm about to convert to 4x4.
Sprinter Store in Oregon is no longer doing the conversion which leaves Whitefeather. Has anyone on this forum done a Whitefeather conversion on their Sprinter?

bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:38 AM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Whitefeather 4X4 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman
Seems like this is the only company at least on the west coast that does the conversion anymore.
After using my 2006 SMB Sprinter for 6 years now I think I'm about to convert to 4x4.
Sprinter Store in Oregon is no longer doing the conversion which leaves Whitefeather. Has anyone on this forum done a Whitefeather conversion on their Sprinter?
Is the Sprinter Store no longer doing all Sprinter 4X4 conversions or are they only doing the newer NCV3 and not the T1N's like yours?

Whitefeather's conversion uses components off of a Ford F250/350 SuperDuty Truck so that is has a Dana Super 60 solid front axle. I don't know if the do these for the T1N like yours or just for the NCV3's.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #3

Mercedes is offering their factory 4x4 option on the 2015 Sprinter chassis. There is a standard 4x4 option for $6,500 and a $300 option to upgrade to a low range version. So for $6.800 you can now get a factory Mercedes 4x4 with low range.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny
Mercedes is offering their factory 4x4 option on the 2015 Sprinter chassis. There is a standard 4x4 option for $6,500 and a $300 option to upgrade to a low range version. So for $6.800 you can now get a factory Mercedes 4x4 with low range.
I went to the Merc Sprinter website and tried to build one. No option anywhere there yet for 4wd. I was just after a price, really. Seems like a deal!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:01 AM   #5

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Good luck with that.

Two problems - first you have to pay $50,000.00 for the "Sprinter" part and then add on the 4X4 - but the hard part is finding one and when you do, that $6,800.00 option is selling at a premium mark up close to $10,000.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
quote]

I went to the Merc Sprinter website and tried to build one. No option anywhere there yet for 4wd. I was just after a price, really. Seems like a deal!
its there, under packages (last 2 options...high range $6500 and high/low range $6800)(you have to click ,,, view more ... bottom rt corner when in the build site )

Quote:
If you don't have a order in for a 4x4 ,with a confirmed vin already , you wont be getting one in 2015.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile

Two problems - first you have to pay $50,000.00 for the "Sprinter" part and then add on the 4X4 - but the hard part is finding one and when you do, that $6,800.00 option is selling at a premium mark up close to $10,000.
only a fool would pay a dealership more than the sticker price
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Sure would be helpful if someone on this forum answered my question. I didn't ask for info about a 2015 Merc. I already know all about that.
bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Sure would be helpful if someone on this forum answered my question. I didn't ask for info about a 2015 Merc. I already know all about that.
Maybe the fact that you didn't get an answer means no one here has a Whitefeather conversion?

People were trying to be helpful in offering possible options, I don't think any Bah Humbug attitude on your part is justified.

Herb
Old 12-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #9

There are some older threads on the Expedition Portal forums about the Whitefeather Sprinter 4x4 conversions but I haven't seen posts from anybody that's actually purchased one.

They're pretty expensive at $21-23k base cost for the conversion with additional wheel/tire and locker options extra. Plus they don't have official M-B certification which makes maintenance and resale a bit dicey.

I think that's why everyone is reorienting towards the official MB Sprinter 4x4 options, even if they have to wait awhile for availability and pricing to normalize.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #10

This is just my two cents of course... I did look at the whitefeather conversion, and I'm sure it's great but overall the cost was prohibitive and I felt like it may be a bit of a white elephant (for the $), etc.
I have seen the whitefeather 4x4 on an ambulance and the van itself looked great and the guys driving it said aside from some minor issues early on, it had been fine. I had a couple conversations with the owner of whitefeather and he was very nice and knowledgable, but in the end I chose to hold off for a 4x4 sprinter or transit, ... so i thought.
So later I turned my attention to the sprinter 4x4, and got on a list at my local dealer for a passenger 4x4. As many of you know, at this point, the overall release/build has been pushed back again even for the entities like fedex, ups, etc. For guys like us, (this is my opinion), I think it will be another 1.5 years before you can predictably get one. My point though, is for the overall $ and value and resale, etc I think a factory sprinter 4x4 is maybe a better way to go. (again my opinion, and I realize you were asking specifically about whitefeather).
The transit will be 4x4 at some point this year by quigley and quadvan. I spoke to john at quadvan and he is working on one now.
Oddly enough, after researching all of these 4x4 options, in the end I went with another econoline! A quadvan which I hope to pick up in a couople weeks!
good luck with your decision. Merry Christmas!
yondermountain is offline   Reply With Quote