Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #1

Xantrex Freedom 3012 Lithium Charge Profile

Recently had this series of events for our inverter/charger while hooked up to 110V shore power. The alternator/balmar regulator have no issues.

1. Connected shore power and closed the shore power breaker. 110 to the van as always and the charger started putting juice to the 600Ah lithionics battery bank.
2. However, the BMS started alarming as the bulk charge maxed at 14.8V, which is the HVC for lithium.
3. A bit of troubleshooting and mostly help from Brian at Momentum Vans identified the issue.
4. All I can think of is the Xantrex had somehow reset. The charge profile was incorrect.
5. Went into advanced settings and changed the profile back to “Custom” as is required for lithium, the attached photo shows settings. Also 2-stage setup, correct amp hours for bank, etc.
6. Then enabled charge again.
7. However, the voltage to the batteries still climbs up to 14.7/14.8V in bulk which causes the BMS to alarm. I never let it get to the point where the Lithionics Neverdie system would shut down the juice, but I’m puzzled why my custom charge profile doesn’t limit the voltage to the batteries to 14.4 bulk as is set.

We have such a large bank at 600Ah I almost never need to use shore juice to keep it topped up so at this point I’ve disabled the charger.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
DEEB2FEF-568E-47CE-8644-BC58BCBECC87.jpeg  

Old 12-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #2

Lithionics Charge Profile

For reference the Lithionics charge profile is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lithionics-Approved-Charging-Sources.pdf (183.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-25-2019, 08:42 PM   #3

My first thought would be do you have the temp probe hooked up? Lithium does not need temperature compensation, but it looks like the custom profile doesn't say it is lithium specific, but does let you do two stage charging. So if the probe was connected it is possible that it is compensating for the colder temperature. This would be raising, the set-point voltage for your custom profile.

I also did not dig deep into the Xantrex manual, but some units default to an internal temp sensor, if not using external. Or may have a cold, nominal or hot setting.

After that I would check for loose connections, anything that would build up extra resistance and thus affect feedback and making the output voltage higher than expected.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #4

Xantrex 3012 Lithium Profile

Problem resolved, the temp compensation set to zero cleared the issue, as well as the custom profile. Thanks to Scalf77 and VTSOUNDMAN for their advice.

Many, MANY thanks to VTSOUNDMAN who provided expert advice on Christmas Day and the day after as well via text! It’s help from experts that really make the forum what it is.

I will provide a detailed explanation on my build thread along with pictures for other lithium build owners.