Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2022, 12:27 PM   #11
Orv

Garage
On a more serious note, though, there's no harm in figuring out what you've got before you decide. A lot depends on how deep it was flooded and how long it sat. I'd probably pull the valve covers and look for rust. If there's rust on the valve train it's toast. If not, change the oil and trans fluid and do a compression check. If that's good, you could try starting it, see if the FI and ignition systems function and if the engine knocks. You might get lucky. As the cowboy said when he was brought a blue-rare steak, "I've seen cows hurt worse than that recover."

If you get to the point of trying to drive it, make sure you go through the brakes and change the diff fluid first.

Old 06-13-2022, 03:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
On a more serious note,. You might get lucky. As the cowboy said when he was brought a blue-rare steak, "I've seen cows hurt worse than that recover."

If you get to the point of trying to drive it, make sure you go through the brakes and change the diff fluid first.
I will try for sure! But if the best I can do is savage the top and “rv” parts for my other rig then so be it.
I initially started looking at Sportsmobiles for the top mechanism only to make my own. For sure I would have to modify it but I’m ok with it.
Attached Thumbnails
E3D4FEA9-0953-4FBB-8E96-4990BBB4CF15.jpg   2659B988-F189-45B9-BD86-55E4899AC3D0.jpg  
Justanotherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 11:03 AM   #13

Generalizations...Dodge built a lot of versions over 32 years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ram_van
Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:56 PM   #14

How much did they pay you to take this? There are countless project vehicles that would be a better use of your time and effort.
wilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
...A lot depends on how deep it was flooded and how long it sat. I'd probably pull the valve covers and look for rust. If there's rust on the valve train it's toast. If not, change the oil and trans fluid and do a compression check. If that's good, you could try starting it, see if the FI and ignition systems function and if the engine knocks. You might get lucky...

Knowing more about the flood it was in (fresh or salt water) and how long it sat will help guide you. Saltwater being extremely corrosive. I'd also look for clues that she was a running before the flood, so knowing the history would really help, if not, be a detective.

I agree on pulling a valve cover, I'd also drain the engine oil, the heavier than oil water will come out first; put a bucket under it pull the drain plug, put the plug back in just as the clear fluid becomes black. if it's got more than a few quarts of water, it may be a goner.

If you do try to fire it up, change the filters first, including emptying and dropping the fuel tank to clean the inlet sock, drop the transmission oil pan and get the water out of it before circulating it through the fuel system and transmission. A lot of guys will locate the ECM and remove the plug the check for corrosion and the terminals, probably above the passenger's feet, against the firewall.

good luck
Old 06-20-2022, 11:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Knowing more about the flood it was in (fresh or salt water) and how long it sat will help guide you. Saltwater being extremely corrosive. I'd also look for clues that she was a running before the flood, so knowing the history would really help, if not, be a detective.

I agree on pulling a valve cover, I'd also drain the engine oil, the heavier than oil water will come out first; put a bucket under it pull the drain plug, put the plug back in just as the clear fluid becomes black. if it's got more than a few quarts of water, it may be goner

good luck
Thank you! As of now I drained the oil and there was plenty of water but things still look decent. I will update once I do try to fire up the engine.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma View Post
How much did they pay you to take this? There are countless project vehicles that would be a better use of your time and effort.
I actually paid $2300 for the van. I should say I paid for the top and anything else i get out of it is a plus.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:58 PM   #18

You're much braver than I am. Best of luck on making it into what you hope it might be.
wilma is offline   Reply With Quote