Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #1

1997 Ford E-350 Quigley 7.3 with Stuck Glow Plug

So....I got gifted a 1997 Ford E-350 15 passenger van with a Quigley conversion. Initially I drove it for a couple weeks but couldn't stand the smell of diesel after driving it and hated the puddle of diesel it would leave on the driveway. I decided to do a little maintenance on it and since it was hard starting I figured first I would replace the glow plugs. I pulled the dog house and was amazed on how tight everything was inside. After many a skinned knuckle I was able to get all of the glow plugs out but one...... No matter how hard I tried and how many actual mechanics told me their way of getting it out I wasn't able to pull it. Further I was very interested in getting the fuel system figured out so I decided to pull the engine........ WOW!! At every turn it was a new adventure!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8174.jpg   IMG_8176.jpg   IMG_9442.jpg   IMG_9448.jpg   IMG_9455.jpg  

docdox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #2

Wow, that’s a pretty nice gift! And going from replacing the glow plugs to pulling the body and engine is a serious case of “mission creep”! :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Wow, that’s a pretty nice gift! And going from replacing the glow plugs to pulling the body and engine is a serious case of “mission creep”! :-)
The head has to come off..... and there was no way to get the engine out. Besides now I have the opportunity to spend $400 on new bushings for a start.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #4

Garage
Wow, that's resolve!
Old 06-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Fuel leak could easily be from the fuel bowl. 7.3L fuel bowls need to rebuilt (new seals) occasionally.

Herb
Old 06-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #6

Now that I have the body off I am putting a FASS fuel filter/bowl delete system on. Mounts on the frame and includes an aftermarket lift pump and serviceable filters
Old 06-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #7

Garage
nice van and great gift! gl with getting everything square. will be a great rig once you go through it as obviously you don't go in half assed.

first time I parked my van in my driveway I came out later to a 2' round puddle of diesel. it ended up being a bad fuel separator valve. apparently its pretty common.

any idea what kind of bumpers are on it?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:17 AM   #8

Wow, you certainly went all in quickly. Best of luck.......
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
nice van and great gift! gl with getting everything square. will be a great rig once you go through it as obviously you don't go in half assed.

first time I parked my van in my driveway I came out later to a 2' round puddle of diesel. it ended up being a bad fuel separator valve. apparently its pretty common.

any idea what kind of bumpers are on it?
I have some paperwork in the rig for ARB so I assume that's what it is. It has a 15000 Warn on front and a 9000 on the back. I am going to do some modifications to them and put brush/deer guards on.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:48 AM   #10

Glow plug out!

Got the head off and cleaned. Pulled the fuel pump and filter and getting it ready for a FASS fuel pump/filter delete.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9471.jpg   IMG_9472.jpg   IMG_9474.jpg   IMG_9475.jpg   IMG_9478.jpg