Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #11

Yea it’s a 5.4L, thanks again for the info. I follow you on the shifting out of OD and the lack of speed climbing. They all seem like fair trade offs.

Has anyone else had any issues with the fiberglass running boards limiting the tire size? I haven’t seen the van in person yet, but the pics really make it look like it sits low.

Also, anyone have any insight or feedback on the Ford parts one 2” lift I posted?

SMB_Beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:45 PM   #12

I would - and did - take off those fiberglass boards. Not just for appearance, but because they also contribute to the formation of rust spots by trapping dirt and all kinds of gunk. You’ll also get more side clearance without them.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:31 PM   #13

That kit doesn't look like a bad deal if you don't feel like sourcing all the parts individually. If you're a tight wad like me, you could save about $100 if you wanted to track it all down piece by piece, but it's almost worth the $100 convenience fee at that point.

I started out with basically the same kit to hold me over for a few months when I first got my van, in all honesty, had I thrown some high end shocks and a set of 265's at the aggressive end of what I'd still call an all-terrain with that setup I wouldn't have had a single complaint for our typical forest/desert/dirt road travels.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I would - and did - take off those fiberglass boards. Not just for appearance, but because they also contribute to the formation of rust spots by trapping dirt and all kinds of gunk. You’ll also get more side clearance without them.
When I took off my last set of boards the bare screw holes concerned me. My new van has the same fiber glass boards and I plan on removing them. What did you do for the holes? I live in the rust belt, so lots of salt on the roads.

I also found the can got a lot dirtier from the tires kicking up dirt. Did you add some other type of fender flare or mud flap?
jamesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #15

1999 E250 EB Off road ability

I left the holes but sealed the bare screw holes with paint with a small paintbrush. To do it right would include welding them I think and then repainting. I never drive my van in the winter (I live in PA so am in a salt zone too) so didn’t worry about it that much. My plan was to have the holes welded shut and then have the bottom belt line of the van painted or rhino lined afterwards, but I never got around to it and sold the van. It was fine for the 8+ years I owned it.

I replaced the fiberglass boards with the black OEM Ford running boards.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesc View Post
Did you add some other type of fender flare or mud flap?

Many of us here have mounted Bushwhacker fender flares.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:37 PM   #17

Garage
I made it to the top of burnt knob on the macgruder corridor in 2wd with my extended van. It’s a full on rock crawl. I’m constantly amazed where you can get in 2wd in these lifted heavy vans.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:59 PM   #18

Thanks Brianw and boy wonder. Unfortunately, my van is it for this winter and the way this season is going the boards will have to wait until next year.

Any idea how to tell if my 2011 with a 5.4 and tow package has a limited slip?
jamesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #19

There should be a tag or stamp on the diff. I can’t remember whether it just had an “L” or an “LS.”
Old 09-18-2021, 10:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
You can get a ~6" lift kit as Boywonder mentioned above and run 285's.

You can also get a taller spring and level the van to run 265's. There has been a lot of discussion on what springs will lift the van. I believe its a Moog 880 or something like that.

With the axle code, its a 2 digit code. If its a letter and a number (C9), it is a limited slip. If its a number and a number (22), its open. You can find what all the codes are with a simple google search.
This is from earlier in this thread, not sure if there is also other ways.

Thanks every for the info! I’ll be taking those running boards off, an likely throwing a rhino line strip along the bottom.

As for now, my plans are to add the 2” block lift kit I posted earlier and some aggressive AT tires. Likely a front hitch and add a wench that be moved from front to back hitch.

Pretty excited, the wife and I roll down on Friday to pickup the van.
SMB_Beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote