Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2021, 05:33 AM   #21

I guess that's probably the same for all years. Sorry if I hacked the thread a little, I just didn't want to start a new thread for those questions.

jamesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #22

There are at least three ways to determine if you have limited slip.

The axle code on the label on the driver's door jamb

The tag on the differential cover held on by the cover bolts (takes some de-coding); there may also be a BOM (bill of materials number) stamped on the rear of the passenger side of the axle tube....for Dana axles.

You can also jack up one rear wheel with the van in neutral and try to spin it. If it's LSD it will have plenty of resistance (usually between about 30-200 ft lbs of torque depending on LSD clutch wear) or lift both rear wheels and spin one....they both should spin in the same direction. Open diff (no LSD) one will spin opposite the other.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
I made it to the top of burnt knob on the macgruder corridor in 2wd with my extended van. It’s a full on rock crawl. I’m constantly amazed where you can get in 2wd in these lifted heavy vans.

That is a rock crawl! Shows what the clearance, assuming LS, and careful driving can do w/o lift....(more easily done in mt bikes )

The LS is quite effective and airing down really helps in softer areas in our experience. The only thing we have drug is the rear hitch, which acts as a bit of a skid plate.

I would suggest the OP verify he has LS, and go drive the vehicle before jumping into a bunch of mods...each is a trade off and you give something up to gain elsewhere....Drive-ability, efficiency on most roads is somewhat compromised by offroad mods...
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #24

Welcome to my world. We have had a series of 4x4 lifted Sportsmobiles over the last 30 years, but 4x4 has only been used to turn around when road becomes “more” 4x4. We camp to hike, canoe, or bike (road tandem) and travel alone. Good news is FS/BLM/land managers recognize that there ARE two groups: those that travel (drive) to see and those that drive to camp at trailheads and hike. Our final custom build is on a Transit 148” wheelbase chassis with AWD/10 speed transmission and 2” lift/ 1”spacers/1”tire size. Your prior experience will probably get you out of places we wouldn’t want to go; but modest lift never hurts. We do carry bits of rugs/old floor mats/tow strap for sand: mostly avoid! Did add front tow hook so we could be helped. We sometimes tow older Jeep CJ-7 to scout about/carry gear/ drive to nearby trailheads.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:06 AM   #25

Thanks for the great info everyone! The wife and I did purchase the van last Friday. It’s a 1999 with 14k miles on the 5.4L. It does have the LSD. The van is beyond mint condition, it still smells new. We took it to the dealer to get some recalls taken care of and have them look it over… The AC needed repair (accumulator and blower motor) they also noticed some leaking seals (rear axle pinion & extension housing). 3K later the van seems to be ready. First trip is a surf trip to south FL.
SMB_Beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:48 PM   #26

Question for you guys, I have the rear in-floor storage compartment and was wondering what’s the weight limit on that box? I have my tool bag(pretty heavy.) set of jack stands, and a bottle jack, along with my a few other small items. Before I pack this box full, should I be cautious of how much weight I put in there? Seems pretty sturdy, but figured I’d ask. Thanks!
SMB_Beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB_Beancounter View Post
Question for you guys, I have the rear in-floor storage compartment and was wondering what’s the weight limit on that box? I have my tool bag(pretty heavy.) set of jack stands, and a bottle jack, along with my a few other small items. Before I pack this box full, should I be cautious of how much weight I put in there? Seems pretty sturdy, but figured I’d ask. Thanks!
You bring up a valid point, and the last thing you need now is to pay additional $'s and the associated aggravation with the box dropping out the bottom...to help comfort your concerns I'll take the jack stands and tool bag so you can lighten that load - If you have interest in my offer feel free to PM me.