Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Garage
2009 E250 Step Bumper bolt-on receiver

Does anybody know if a bolt-on receiver will work with the 2009 E250 step bumper? I've seen a couple different bolt-on's available, but looking at the bumper on the van it isn't clear they will work, even if I drill some holes.

I'm just trying to keep the weight down and departure angle up...

Old 07-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #2

Re: 2009 E250 Step Bumper bolt-on receiver

Depends on the receiver. Most do, some don't. Application notes should indicate if it won't fit the step bumper.

On edit - Do you mean just the receiver box that mounts below the bumper ball? I was referring to complete receivers.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #3

Garage

Yes, I was asking about the ones that bolt onto the bumper. I can't find any application specific information on them.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
Yes, I was asking about the ones that bolt onto the bumper. I can't find any application specific information on them.
I don't think they will work without modifying the bumper. Those bolt on boxes are intended to fit 3-hole step bumper which mostly went out of fashion, and the stock step bumper only is a 1-hole bumper. You'd have to drill the other holes, and somehow add a backing plate.

For ground clearance, you can mount the hitch to the upper flange on the frame. This will take some modification of the hitch and removal of the last crossmember (you don't really need it with a receiver in place). Then notch the bumper for the receiver. Or buy a bare receiver from Reese without end-plates and weld it directly to the frame. This method is probably easiest.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #5

Garage

I like the idea of mounting the hitch higher and through the bumper.

I spent some time under the van staring at things. The bumper is so convoluted it would take a lot of modifications to attach a receiver there, short of just welding it on.

In the back of my mind I keep thinking about modifying the bumper to be extendable. Then I could add a rail and carry my dirt bike on it. The hitch and back-up radar would all move with the bumper. I think it would be reasonably easy to do this if the extension pieces were bolt-on. I did this with a travel trailer once and it worked fine. Making a telescoping bumper would be more difficult.

Or I could just buy a bolt-on hitch and an MX Hauler and be done with it...