Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #11

Re: 2014 Ford Transit Connect - comments, thoughts, etc.???

The 2014 Ford Transit Connect is now on sale. You can even play around with configurations and option it out the way you want it.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/transitconnect/

I am so far having a hard time finding companies that provide accessories, parts, kits, conversions, etc. for the new 2014 redesign as it is just now out. Companies like Kevin Hornby Designs may take a while to do their new conversions for both the regular and extended length editions. Not that I'm in the market for the Transit Connect but just noticing that it's hard as of now to customize it.

I had fun configuring the TC the way I like it: XLT Extended Cargo with side doors and rear doors windows; red paint/dark interior; and otherwise loaded up for a little over $30,000. lol The useful thing about this is that with the 2.5L non-turbo I4 engine, it can be had with a 2,000-lb. towing package. Happy configuring!

pffan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #12

pffan1990,

thanks for starting this thread. I too have been tracking the new Transit Connect for a while and have been anxiously waiting for it to hit the market. It was a fun day when Ford updated their website with all the van information finally giving some tangible details on the specs.

I've been waiting for a suv/van to come out that doesn't has 7 seats in it, just two seats and lots of cargo space and something that I can park in my garage, so it has to be lower than 6'-6". This will be my everyday car, beach cruiser carrying lots of gear, house project hauler and light camping vehicle. total utility with decent gas mileage and the ability to tow something if needed.

What do you plan to use yours for?

I stumbled on this thread because I want to make a post about the new Transit Connect asking others a question about how to make the van more off-road durable. So to other readers, perhaps you can share some thoughts. I might take this van down to Baja and need it to survive some light off-road treks at times. The ground clearance is 6.3", not much. I have no idea what type of tires come with this van and what the shocks can handle. What are my vulnerabilities and what can I do to make it better without altering the van too much? Appreciate the help. Thanks!
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #13

You can probably use front control arms and struts from the Escape to lift the front. They are both built on the Focus platform. The rear is easy because it's simply leaf springs, so you can just add a leaf and slap on some bilsteins.

Because it shares the Escape platform, you could probably even make it AWD by swapping in the Escape's transaxle and driveline, and bolting up a Ford 9" rear. Or, you could just go with a Toyota Previa All-Trac. Those are neat too.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #14

Carringb - thanks for the input. interesting ideas.
I need to be careful not to raise the van height because there isn't much clearance to park this in our garage.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:36 AM   #15

I guess Sportsmobile made at least one on the old platform. It is for sale used.

http://www.campervannorthamerica.com/ca ... sale.shtml

but I would like to see a pop top

http://www.poptoproofs.co.uk/shop/produ ... r&id=30335
Old 01-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #16

In early 2011 when I was still trying to decide which way to go, I looked at the Transit Connect. At that time Fiberine was making a 12" top for the van that weighted about 50 pounds, and with a white gel coat and liner and installation was about $2500. I talked with Derek at CCV and he could do a pop-top with the Fiberine top that would add about 30-50 pounds. At the time, he thought a penthouse bed might be problematic but we didn't really get into that. He may have another solution now.

Ultimately I went the SMB route because the Transit Connect mileage didn't seem to be that much better than the E350 V8 gas van and the E350 offered more flexibility in terms of build-out space and cargo weight. Having lived with the SMB for a while now (mine is a "metal tent" / camper and not a full build out), I probably could get by with the TC and it would sure be a lot easier to park.
9pb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #17

Ford just posted under the TC engine specs the gas mileage estimates for the 1.6L EcoBoost engine option.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/transitconne ... ns/engine/

For an XLT van (long wheel base version), it's 22 city/30 highway/25 combined. I was expecting a little better than that considering the standard 2.5L Duratec engine is rated at 21 city/29 highway/24 combined. Maybe those are preliminary numbers but the EcoBoost has a $795 premium over the Duratec. You'd have to drive a lot of miles to recoup the cost difference. roughly 118,000 by my calculations. It does offer more horsepower and torque so maybe it's faster off the line if that's something you desire. I'm not a speed freak so it wouldn't matter to me but better fuel economy would be a big plus.

I'm pretty sure the EcoBoost has a turbo and I've read that can be a maintenance issue down the road. The mileage ratings for the EcoBoost also show premium fuel but I read it can run on regular, the same as the Duratec. Not sure how the gas grade would affect the mileage ratings.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Does anyone have any input on the virtues of getting an EcoBoost engine?

thanks
Old 01-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
Does anyone have any input on the virtues of getting an EcoBoost engine?
It has been a while since poking around there, but if I remember right I don't think they want you to tow with the ecoBoost. There was no rating for how much it would tow with the EcoBoost.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcnick
It has been a while since poking around there, but if I remember right I don't think they want you to tow with the ecoBoost. There was no rating for how much it would tow with the EcoBoost.
thanks xcnick. interesting point.
hopefully Ford will share more data as the product progresses.
hope to see one of these at a dealer soon.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
pffan1990,

What do you plan to use yours for?

Appreciate the help. Thanks!
I don't have any plans at all regarding any vehicle. I'm legally blind so cannot drive. I am simply a Ford enthusiast that loves the Econoline, Transit Connect, and the upcoming Transit. I started this thread just to get some general info on the new 2014 TC. Sorry I hadn't been on here for awhile but I do know that my local Ford dealership has at least one new '14 TC, according to their website. I may take a walk there and check it out whenever it warms up in Kentucky. lol

No problem with helping you with the info. I'm glad to see a fellow TC-enthusiast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcnick
I guess Sportsmobile made at least one on the old platform. It is for sale used.

http://www.campervannorthamerica.com/ca ... sale.shtml

but I would like to see a pop top

http://www.poptoproofs.co.uk/shop/produ ... r&id=30335
I never knew at all that Sportsmobile had actually done their own Transit Connect. I thought they only did the full-size vans only. I think it looks nice and can only imagine what they could do with the new 2014 redesign, especially the Extended Wheelbase version.

As previously mentioned above, I'm not in the market for any vehicle at all but curious about the new Transit Connect. I do get frustrated when I cannot find any conversion companies that does the new 2014 TC. I know of Kevin Hornby Designs that did the pre-2014 TC and I decided to check his site out for any updates. To my surprise, the site seems to be down or closed. No info came up in Google search so I'm wondering if unfortunately he closed his business? I can't even find any sites that sell things like flooring, wall panels, insulation, etc for the 2014 TC. I'm not even in the market so I cannot imagine the frustration for actual prospective owners!
pffan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote