Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #1

2020 Ford Transit promising

2020 Ford Transit sounds really promising.
Factory AWD, new 10spd transmission, seat swivels and a slew of new optional features!

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news...van-refreshed/

Old 03-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #2

2020 Ford Transit promising

Sounds like a lot of great options! AWD will be a winner for sure in that platform for many people, especially if the price point is reasonable. Although they say that ride height won’t be increased at all (I see a nice market for aftermarket lift kits!). Even though the Sprinter is called a “4x4” in most references I’ve seen, I believe it’s AWD, too?

Several references in the article were made about the RV market, so it’s clear that the VanLife craze has definitely impacted the options on this.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:30 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
While a newer Transit isn't in my near future its encouraging to think that Ecco-Boost turbo nightmare might not be the only enhanced engine available.

BTW i'm NOT a fan of turbocharged engines for my needs---I could be in the big minority there though.

Interesting article though---thanks for sharing it with us!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
While a newer Transit isn't in my near future its encouraging to think that Ecco-Boost turbo nightmare might not be the only enhanced engine available.

BTW i'm NOT a fan of turbocharged engines for my needs---I could be in the big minority there though.

To each his own.

If I were to get a new Transit it would definitely be with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I've had my F150 with that engine for 3 years now and 31,000 miles and I love it. great fuel economy and great mileage with great power. Like driving a diesel without the diesel headaches. Since I ordered my truck I've been following the on-line forums and the 3.5 Ecoboost engine is proving very reliable. Even Consumer Reports lists the turbo engines as reliable, compiled from owners information.

I've owned multiple diesel trucks (still have one) with turbos and also have a Kubota tractor with a turbo. The one thing I've never had problems with in any of those vehicles is the turbo!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #5

Sounds like the new 3.5l will be a little better than the current 3.7l, but I would absolutely go with the ecoboost. Have heard nothing but good things about the low end torque.

AWD plus lift kit will make a very very attractive vehicle that will handle snow and a variety of offroad situations. Good for Ford, time to stop letting MB each your lunch.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Although they say that ride height won’t be increased at all (I see a nice market for aftermarket lift kits!). Even though the Sprinter is called a “4x4” in most references I’ve seen, I believe it’s AWD, too?
I suspect the 2WD ride height for factory AWD may also be a concession to the 4x4 converters, to leave them a slice of the pie. They're been pretty key in creating the #vanlife movement

And yes, I would consider the MB system to be AWD, because it can only sends 1/3 torque to the front axle, and can only further adjust bias by braking the rear axle using traction control. The Ford AWD can send 100% torque to the front axle, probably using a clutch-based system.

While the Sprinter has optional low range (using another planetary between the transmission and T-case), the Ford's 10 speed has such a large ratio spread, lowest gear may by close to to the Sprinter's with Low Range engaged.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #7

I want one. LOL.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post

Ecoboost turbo nightmare? Tell me more. As far as I know, or am concerned, it's the best engine Ford has ever made. It's been flawless in the F150 for about 10 years. I put 120k on my van in the pic to the left in about a year and it just wanted more, more, more. I did plugs once, that's all.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The Ford AWD can send 100% torque to the front axle, probably using a clutch-based system.
Is this a new t-case/system or from existing drivetrain configuration already on market?
Old 03-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar308 View Post
Is this a new t-case/system or from existing drivetrain configuration already on market?
I have not seen any details on it, but my speculation is that it will be shared with the new RWD-architecture Explorer.

BTW - Chevy and Ram are phasing out true 4x4 on their 1/2-ton pickups. The F150 probably isn't far behind.