Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #1

33-35" tire in lifted 2wd E350

I am curious about those running 33 to 35 inch tires on a lifted E350.
I noticed most 33s and almost all 35s are 12.5 inches wide.
I am worried that these will stick out well past the fenders, and also interfere with my cornering abilities.
I currently have 30" in by 9 1/2 A/Ts on 8" wide classic 10 hole Ultra 164s. The van rides pretty damn good, and is stable and the tires do not protrude out past the fenders.
I can adjust my Lift as I build it from 4"-7" but the minimum tire size I would like is 33". It's a Frankenstein combination of modified radius arms/ bent I-beams/ Springs and a custom 2" body lift.
Which for me is absolutely necessary as it is a 7.3 diesel I need to increase the firewall clearance to work on this beast and it's the perfect ticket and almost a near bolt on without too many modifications.
I believe I can source 33's that aren't 12 1/2" wide. I'd really like 35"s but
I just don't want a van that looks like "BIGFOOT" nor the problems of tracking and steering 26in of tires in the front.... It's just a lot of extra wear and tear and weight on the suspension I don't need. Tall & skinny is great but not easy to find. The big tires are just a shit ton of unsprung weight, detrimental in every way for my goal, it may say super duty , but big tires have a way of wearing shit out..fast. When I was young I had a 44 inch tire shear 8 lug nuts all clean off ! and it took two people to pick up the damn tire.

If anybody is running these 33"-35" size tires, Please let me know how far out they stick from the fenders I won't be able to use fender flares as I will be trimming my stock fenders and re welding them at the back this way I gain an additional 2"of clearance. I know fiberglass fenders are an option I just don't know if I'm completely on board with the bulge..... But the last thing I want tires sticking out the sides slinging rocks and mud and tar everywhere

Any 1st hand advice on fender clearance and the ride and handling is appreciated.

Thanks!

This old va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:43 PM   #2

Go metric. I know that Toyo makes 285/75/18 which is roughly 35×11.2, there are also 255/85/16 which is roughly 33x10.

I just hobbled out and checked mine with a 2' level directly over front and rear axle centerlines, held against the body (no flares.) My current 315/70/17"s have the tread surface (not the sidewall, it protrudes another 1 3/8") perfectly even with the outer edge of the front fenders, the rears are also perfectly even after installing 1 1/4" wide wheel spacers. That is with a 17x9" wheel with 4.75" backspacing. Running an 8" wide wheel would pull them in another 1/2" but that may make the difference between the tire rubbing the radius arm or not, at full steering lock.

I cut the front fenders back to the lower pinch bolt and roughly 9" up from the very bottom of the sheet metal. I spaced the front bumper out with plate washers (1/2"?) which worked fine when I had 285/75/17 (34×11.5) but I ended up cutting a small radius (5 1/2" tall x roughly 1" wide at the bottom of the cut) out of the lower rear corners of the front bumper with the move to 315's.

I have a total suspension height increase of 5 1/2" over stock height of my 2wd E350. I am using Camburg bent beams, extended radius arms, taller coils, fox 2.0 race series shocks with reservoir and Agile's V5 (stiffest) valving in the front, 3" lift blocks and home-brewed mix & match leaf packs with Agile's V5 2.0 Fox IFP in the rear. Ride is much better than stock in all situations and even with the swaybar completely removed, there is no sway at all (less than a stock van anyway) largely due to firmer shock valving. With the roll center still at the factory location (due to bent beams instead of drop brackets) and slightly stiffer than factory spring rates, body roll is less than you would expect.

I hope that helps a little.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:54 PM   #3

16x8 wheels for e350 5.4 l

Good deal on amazon for these, would this work?, will use 285/75/16, with moog 880 coils, did cut my fenders

Cheers
vanislevinceeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanislevinceeno View Post
Good deal on amazon for these, would this work?, will use 285/75/16, with moog 880 coils, did cut my fenders

Cheers
I'm not sure.. you will have enough clearance for close to a 33" tire?

I'm pretty sure I need 4" of lift to acheive enough clearance...but I could be wrong...I've never tried.

I have 30" tires now, as I have not done a lift yet.

I think it will be close... I'm almost sure you will have to clearance the fenders as you said you've done
The Moog lift numbers are all over the place from various people... There's too many variables I would count on one 1" and be thankful for any more I believe they are specd at 2 in" of lift. Anymore it is likely you will have alignment problems you will most likely have a 0° to 4° camber correction cam...again I'm guessing, I haven't done it yet.
Depending on how and where you drive.that may be the deciding factor. If it's primarily Street or well manicured dirt trail without too many dips and rocks.... You may be okay.. but I would worry about turning and dips any irregularities would push your tire still into the back of the fender. Possibly you may have to trim the front but I don't think so.

Sorry I can't help more but I have measured 3 ways to next Sunday on my van .. to estimate what I will need, that's the best advice I can give you.

If you do it.... please post a message, of how it works pluses and minuses and maybe a picture.
This old va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:00 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply

I did get camber adjustment bushings

Will follow up
vanislevinceeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:02 AM   #6

305-70-16
Moon 880s springs
Rear of fender modified after running 33-12.5.x16’s for 500k miles
7.3 diesel
Attached Thumbnails