Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #1

$6 to make your trim look like new

Plastidip.

It's an awesome spray coating that I love. And it's removable. Pretty cool.

So take a look at the old stained plastic rear door handle/license plate holder.

Yuck right?

So I try out a $5.95 can of spray plastidip. I know it's tough and you can pull it off any time if you don't like it. No harm, no foul. I think of it as waterproof removable paint. It just happens to be easy to work with and look amazing.

Alright, grab a crate with some windex & paper towels to make sure we're clean.

Great. Let's break out the blue painter's tape (remember you can always peel off any overspray, but it's just quicker to mask it I think). Note those are stains in the plastic, not gunk. And look how faded that handle is. Yech. I also don't think much of that silver doorlock. Luckily plastip won't foul the lock mechanism, so it gets shot too, no masking.

Okay, maskin like a madman. Ignore the bumper. That's next on the hit list, but I'll do it in another thread. This is just to show what this stuff does for trim.

Note here the little strips of tape. I find it easier to tear off a bunch of little four inch strips and stick them to the body temporarily, then use them with one hand while the other holds the masking paper. You can use newspaper too, but that brown stuff is cheap at Home Depot/Lowes ($5?) for a big roll. Besides I just happen to have an extra roll from a little sailboat I painted with real paint last winter. It's also super easy to work with. Tears easy. Just way easier than newspaper, trust me.

Okay, so here's after one coat. You want to lay it on in a bunch of light coats. I like about five to eight light coats for a flawless finish. This stuff is SOOOOOO much easier to work with than paint you won't believe it. Even if you bump it and make a mark in the paint, it doesn't matter. Just keep laying down more coats. You won't see the fingerprint after two more coats. Awesome.

Alright, I won't bore you with seven more coats, but that's what I used. If you're dipping over a bright base (chrome or white paint) you'll need more coats than against a dark (black, blue, etc) surface. But just keep adding coats until you're happy. Let each coat dry about five to eight minutes. This stuff is about 80% thinner by volume so it's not heavy and dries fast. If you do a full paintjob on the entire van, then peel it off and weigh it, you get a little over a pound. So forget about adding any weight with this stuff like you'd worry about with bedliner/sound deadener etc.

Here's an up close of the finished product. Tell me that doesn't look like it just rolled off the lot, I dare ya. And it looks better in person. Has a rubbery feel kind of like touching a balloon. And best part? The preferred method of cleaning it is the car wash. This stuff is tough. Also doesn't rub off on clothes, etc. Lovin it.

Here's the updated rear from a few steps back. Notice anything about the bumper?

Aww yeah! Next up mirrors and side door handles.

Check my the kitevan thread on Homebuilds in the forum for more on my van, including lots more dippin.

Hope this helps guys. I've learned a lot on these forums. Thought I'd give back. - S

Here's a video of plastidip removal also for skeptics: [youtube:2wy904uc]

smshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #2

Re: $6 to make your trim look like new

I had a car with a flat black bumper once. That thing was great. Every two years or so I'd just take a rattle can to it and it would look like new again.

I suppose this brings similar flexibility to somewhat more refined parts.

May need to give it a try on some stuff. Though I'd weigh time spent masking against time spent removing the part to be painted.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #3

Garage

yep this stuff is great. I plan on doing my grill and front bumper once its warm enough here to do so.

lot of guys around here do thier wheels every winter so the elements dont mess up the finish. once winter is gone, thye peel it off and wheels look good as new. i just have specific winter wheels, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #4

Any problems with the edges coming up when you peel of the masking tape?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #5

How long will it stay on? Is it a durable finish? Will it start to peal off on it's own?

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #6

How durable is it in the sun? Will it stand up to being on a Penthouse in the sun every day? Can I walk on it?

I think I would take the rubber trim off the PH and spray the top and carefully reinstall the trim.

Any thoughts or concerns?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #7

Great questions. Same ones I had. Luckily plastidip has a great videos section that answers all these.

Dipyourcar.com is the main website. The forums there are great also, like here.

Here is the page with videos to answer all your questions:

https://www.dipyourcar.com/pages.php?pageid=8
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

I'm thinking of my yakama pod. Why subject it to full sun? Let the plastic dip take the brunt. Gets scratched? So what. pull it off and re do it. Also I was wondering about the pour stuff and using it in the gutters. I like the idea that it can be removed so easy.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #9

yeah, once you start using this stuff you start thinking of all the other ways you could use it.

Heck, since they've got clear and colors, I thought of a few other uses:

1) Spray clear on the walls of an apartment or kid's room before they take possession. Then after they move up or the kids grow up past toddler, just peel the dip off and tada! brand new wall paint.

2) Leaky roof and don't have time to patch it yet? Dip that roof and fix it when you get a chance.

3) I wonder if it helps as an extra air gap layer in insulation? I wonder if you shot it over house siding it wouldn't improve the R value of the insulation? Could create a lot of energy savings.

I'm really thinking of investing in the company I believe in it so much.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smshield
yeah, once you start using this stuff you start thinking of all the other ways you could use it.

Heck, since they've got clear and colors, I thought of a few other uses:

1) Spray clear on the walls of an apartment or kid's room before they take possession. Then after they move up or the kids grow up past toddler, just peel the dip off and tada! brand new wall paint.

2) Leaky roof and don't have time to patch it yet? Dip that roof and fix it when you get a chance.

3) I wonder if it helps as an extra air gap layer in insulation? I wonder if you shot it over house siding it wouldn't improve the R value of the insulation? Could create a lot of energy savings.

I'm really thinking of investing in the company I believe in it so much.
1. MUCH cheaper to just repaint the room. You are talking hundreds of dollars to use plastidip. Plus it most likely will eat through the paint.

2. Just use a $2 tube of blackjack and be done with it the first time you go up there.

3. Would take a long time to re-coup the 10's of thousands it cost to install it. Plus it only lasts a few years before it needs to be redone. Much better products out there that are permanent and cheaper.

It is "fun" product and works great for many things. But it isn't a miracle product by any means. I much prefer Herculiner and other DIY bedliner products for things like bumpers.

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote