Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #11

That spot you have highlighted is 74.5" on my van. Mind you, that rib right above it bumps in a little bit - but that's been cut out of my van.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #12

This set up will be the maximum width for sleeping. Top of the foam needs to be about an inch above the lower part of the plastic window trim. You will be using the window bays for head and feet. I am 5'10" and 1derGirl is about 5'6". 74.5" width on the inside of WINDOW to inside of WINDOW will be about right and that will be your widest point. Anywhere where there is plastic trim it will be covering a rib or structural piece that will result in a narrower width.

I was relegated to the rear most part of the bed and it was tight but we used that way for six plus years so it wasn't so bad. I could sleep more comfortably on the forward section of the bed but that was where she wanted to sleep. Also, keep in mind our van was an EB and the rear quarter windows and A/C duct created intrusions into the sleeping area. An RB will have the A/C duct work in the rear most driver corner so it will be less intrusive. (While I know the temptation is there to remove the rear A/C and Heater unit, I strongly advise NOT to do that. There is very little real savings in space and the loss of cooling/heating capacity from the rear HVAC is a huge loss).

The bed was 48" front to back and full width side to side. There was 18" clear height under the bed and 49" clear side to side. The ply was 3/4" (legs and platform) and the foam was 3" firm and 1" medium to create a pillow top feel. Worked great.

Window bays were insulated with friction fit panels. You can use Reflectix glued to Coroplast sheet and finish the inside face with material of your choice. These will provide a great insulation with minimal thickness.

I made it in three full width interlocking panels for ease of removal. I could have in or out in about 10 mins.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 6.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	37892 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 7.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	37893

Click image for larger version

Name:	Window Insulation 2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	37894 [ATTACH]378A/C95[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Window Insulation.jpg  
Old 01-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #13

Thank you both for excellent replies
dieselnutjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:44 AM   #14

I am 5' 10" and had our bed set up that way in our old van and slept comfortably. Wife is also shorter and had no issues. I had very minimal stuff going on on the walls to maximize the space.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3803.jpg   IMG_3815.jpg  
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:47 AM   #15

Garage
I'm 5'10" my wife is 5'4" and we sleep sideways no problem. Bed platform is 24" off the steel floor for storage. I trimmed a 5" memory foam Queen mattress to fit. A bit lower so the top of your mattress is at the widest level would be optimal for length, same level as the distance arrow in your drawing.

Lyall

LastBlackE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #16

We have a full bed sideways in the rear of our standard Econoline SMB. It does taper just a little bit toward the very back and that is where my wife, who is 5‘7“ sleeps. I am 5‘11“, and it is tight for me, but we make it work. We have stayed in it close to a week with full ski gear and clothing, in temperatures ranging down to close to 0°F.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselnutjob View Post
Hi
I am looking at getting a year 2006 Ford E350 standard length (non extended) passenger van.
Due to travel restrictions I would have to buy sight unseen, but I really like this particular van and I'm very tempted.
I only really want to do this project if I can sleep two sideways across the back of the van, I am I think 5'10" (corrected from original typo) and my wife is, well shorter.
Can anyone tell me what the exact width would be on one of these, side to side with all of the plastic trim removed?
I would be prepared to do with absolute minimum insulation and trim on the sides in the bed area.
I have googled for hours and found lots of people posting this question and then other people saying I am X high and I'm fine or I'm Y high and I have to sleep diagonally etc.
What I actually need is an actual accurate measurement.
If someone could measure it for me please (who has a van with all the trim already removed) then I will put a strong box across the end of my normal bed to shorten it to that and see if I can actually sleep or not.
I also understand that the back half of these vans taper, but as my wife is shorter I'm sure she will let me have the wider bit of it, so that's the measure I would need please.
thanks DNJ
BLT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #17

Flarespace is planning on E series

I have my bed crossways on a windowed e350rb. 75” window to window but it is higher than some would like, though I like the gear space underneath.

Flarespace is planning on making e-series flares soon too, probably $1600. I’d like to have the extra space and some openable slider windows on them. They only sell them in pairs but I’d love to get just the driver side and keep the passenger window for daily driver visibility
MacGruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:45 AM   #18

I'm limited in how high my bed can be due to my wife's disability. I'm hoping someone can tell me the maximum width at 20" above the floor. I'm trying to decide if it's worth removing the plastic panels or not.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I'm limited in how high my bed can be due to my wife's disability. I'm hoping someone can tell me the maximum width at 20" above the floor. I'm trying to decide if it's worth removing the plastic panels or not.
MY EB has just under 73" metal to metal @ 20" when measure just behind the side door opening. Does anyone make window flares for the econoline similar to the one available for sprinters?
Old 01-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
I have my bed crossways on a windowed e350rb. 75” window to window but it is higher than some would like, though I like the gear space underneath.

Flarespace is planning on making e-series flares soon too, probably $1600. I’d like to have the extra space and some openable slider windows on them. They only sell them in pairs but I’d love to get just the driver side and keep the passenger window for daily driver visibility
MacGruber. I have the same idea, one flarespace on the drivers side. I wonder if the right and left will be the same??
campingunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote