Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2021, 09:56 AM   #1

Absolute max interior width on an Econoline?

Hi
I am looking at getting a year 2006 Ford E350 standard length (non extended) passenger van.
Due to travel restrictions I would have to buy sight unseen, but I really like this particular van and I'm very tempted.
I only really want to do this project if I can sleep two sideways across the back of the van, I am I think 5'10" (corrected from original typo) and my wife is, well shorter.
Can anyone tell me what the exact width would be on one of these, side to side with all of the plastic trim removed?
I would be prepared to do with absolute minimum insulation and trim on the sides in the bed area.
I have googled for hours and found lots of people posting this question and then other people saying I am X high and I'm fine or I'm Y high and I have to sleep diagonally etc.
What I actually need is an actual accurate measurement.
If someone could measure it for me please (who has a van with all the trim already removed) then I will put a strong box across the end of my normal bed to shorten it to that and see if I can actually sleep or not.
I also understand that the back half of these vans taper, but as my wife is shorter I'm sure she will let me have the wider bit of it, so that's the measure I would need please.
thanks DNJ

dieselnutjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:19 AM   #2

I don't know the exact measurement, but yes you are correct they taper toward the rear. As a data point, we have an '01 Econoline that has the bedding design set up cross-wise (athwartships) in the middle - that is the widest point in the body. I am 5'10" and I can just barely fit at the widest point. I can't image a 6'+ person in the rear - would have to consider sleeping diagonally.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselnutjob View Post
I am I think 6'10" and my wife is, well shorter.
Can anyone tell me what the exact width would be on one of these, side to side with all of the plastic trim removed?DNJ
I'm assuming you mean 6' 1". If you're truly 6' 10", forget it.

I'm interested in the answer as well, but keep in mind that it will depend on what kind of wall paneling and insulation you install.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I'm assuming you mean 6' 1". If you're truly 6' 10", forget it.

I'm interested in the answer as well, but keep in mind that it will depend on what kind of wall paneling and insulation you install.
Oh for goodness sake. I meant 5'10". I read it twice before hitting submit as well.

If I could get an answer for zero insulation then I can subtract myself. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #5

I don't know of any passenger vehicle where sleeping sideways at 6'10" is an option.

Edit: saw your reply. You can google cargo van interior dimensions and get a pretty good idea. If not, I just stripped the interior out of my van and can get a measurement if you'd like.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
I don't know of any passenger vehicle where sleeping sideways at 6'10" is an option.
Lucky I'm actually 5'10" then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
If not, I just stripped the interior out of my van and can get a measurement if you'd like.
Yes I'd like, very much, please please.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #7

Sure. So since the back and top both taper, what height and where in the van did you want me to measure?

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #8

Old 01-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #9

I (5’-8”) can sleep sideways with extra room, at the back between the windows. Anywhere lower is a no-go.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I (5’-8”) can sleep sideways with extra room, at the back between the windows. Anywhere lower is a no-go.
Thank you for the answer, but please can you define "extra room". If it's only 1" then it's not enough. If it's 5" well maybe it will be ok.

Also, have you removed the plastic side trim? It seems to me that with the side trim the difference between the width in the windows and the width below the windows is huge, but if the trim is gone, then not so much.

It's very difficult to tell from just looking at photos on the Internet though.