Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 11:38 AM   #11

Garage
I sell a set of mounts for the A-Pillar locations through Vantage Optics that allow you to run many offroad lights of your choice. They also work well for mounting flags/antennas/camp lights...etc. Check out the link below for the details. I have these in stock and can ship them asap. Use coupon code SMBJAN2020 to save 7% before the end of the month.

https://www.vantageoptics.com/shop/V...kets-p73168518

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
Attached Thumbnails
20161219_163614.jpg   20161219_164225.jpg   20161229_121305.jpg   20161219_164242.jpg   20161204_133115.jpg  

REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #12

herb is correct, be careful in California. Any light above the factory headlights must be covered......at the same level or below no need to cover.
QUESTION: I have 2003 E350.......what type of bright lighting can I put in my factory headlamps to increase brightness? Improve my field of vision when nigh driving. I have seen some cars with almost blinding lights are they legal?
Thanks.........
2003 SMB 7.3 just returned from a trip and planning my next move.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE View Post
herb is correct, be careful in California. Any light above the factory headlights must be covered......at the same level or below no need to cover.
QUESTION: I have 2003 E350.......what type of bright lighting can I put in my factory headlamps to increase brightness? Improve my field of vision when nigh driving. I have seen some cars with almost blinding lights are they legal?
Thanks.........
2003 SMB 7.3 just returned from a trip and planning my next move.

I just recently (for Christmas) installed new headlights from Vantage Optics into my 2002 E350, and I could not be more pleased. In fact, I went and bought the LED tail lights as well, and just had those installed last week.

The old headlights were not doing what I needed, and the high beams were just not much different from the low beams on the OEM lights. I did a lot of comparisons, and ended up right back at Vantage, and got the Ford Econoline Basic HID Projector kit. I'm picky about the color. I dislike the cool 5k+ blue lights, and the light from these projector bulbs is much more natural than many I have seen in person.

Install was relatively easy, there are two ballasts that need to be mounted under the metal cross piece that holds the radiator, but the wiring is designed perfectly, and the only real hassle was snaking the wires across under the radiator cross member.

The LED turn signals are white and illuminate off to the side of the vehicle when the turn signal isn't on. The flash is orange due to the design of the reflector, and is very visible.

The adjustment of the headlights lights was simple, but the actual process took me about 4 tries to get the lights to the right height. Initially, they were set low, and the HID cutoff line was only 20 feet out from the van, and it took a few tries to get the proper adjustment.

The lights take about 10-15 seconds to come to full brightness. That cutoff line on the HIDs is outstanding, and I have not had anyone flash me, thinking my high beams are on, when they are low beams. The cutoff keeps my lights out of their mirrors and prevents blinding oncoming drivers. It helps in fog and snow to keep the reflections low and visibility high. The design of the projector gives a wide swath of light to the right areas.

And when the high beams are on, it is an amazing difference in illumination.

I'm very pleased with the lights from Vantage Optics, and if you're running an older van, the improvement from replacing the OEM lighting might be enough to convince you that the fog lights are not as necessary as you thought.
MaineWildlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #14

Garage
Any name brand lights should be worth the investment.

This is an FYI for anyone looking for driving or fog lights.
I found this company while searching for lights on the internet.
I have NOT used their product although it looks promising
https://www.lamin-x.com/customer-gal...ight-tint-film

I bought DOT/SAE compliant lights for front and rear and don't expect much because they're only 1,700 lumens (I can swap front to rear or rear to front is one stops working).
They are much better than the hella halogen variant installed by sportsmobile.
Have not installed the front leds...I need to buy the Vantage Optics headlights first!!
Old 01-22-2020, 04:57 AM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
I did the white wide/driving hybrid. 10 inch bar

PIAA 26-07110
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
I sell a set of mounts for the A-Pillar locations through Vantage Optics that allow you to run many offroad lights of your choice. They also work well for mounting flags/antennas/camp lights...etc.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
Very ingenious---would be a perfect GoPro mount!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Thanks for the info!

Very ingenious---would be a perfect GoPro mount!
JWA- Perfect....haven't tried that application yet, may need to give it a whirl!

My personal set of brackets hold a pair of Baja Designs S2 Pro lights (with varying covers for street and offroad use for those interested in following rules!), a quick release CB antenna mount and a flag mount for use in the dunes/OHV areas requiring them. They have proven to be very strong and durable with zero failures or issues reported thus far.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #17

In general, I believe in buying high quality products, and that's what I've done for nearly all of the components for my van. One of the few exceptions is the auxiliary lighting. I absolutely appreciate the craftsmanship and quality of high end lighting such as KC, Rigid, Baja Designs, etc. I would love to have them, but I just can't justify the astronomical costs that go with them. The primary reason is that I can't have that kind of investment sitting on the outside of my van unsecured. If my lighting was composed of premium units, somebody with a few hand tools could walk away with several thousand dollars in lights in just a couple of minutes. (I know there are security head fasteners, etc., but they are all easily defeatable.) The secondary reason is that I don't believe the name brand lights are that much better. They are definitely better, but I don't believe they are ten times better.

As an example, I have a set of the previously mentioned ARB Intensity style lights from Amazon. First, if they're stolen I'm still mad, but I'm out $150 instead of $1,500. Second, they're just great lights. They are as bright as I need. There's no way I'm going to out drive these lights. They have lasted nearly two years and seem just like new in both appearance and function with no signs of failing soon. I know I'm in Arizona, so I don't have the same moisture issues as some. I could not be happier with these lights.

When I spend more on a higher quality product, I justify it one of two ways. One is that it will be a better economic decision by giving me substantially better performance or a longer service life. I believe I would get superior performance and life out of a name brand but not enough to balance out the cost. The second justification is to prevent a catastrophic failure. For my uses, I don't consider my auxiliary lights to be mission critical. If they go out on a trip it is nothing more than a slight inconvenience. And, if they do need replacement, it is a very easy process.

This is just my personal opinion. Hopefully you can see my point.
exp for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:29 AM   #18
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by exp for View Post
In general, I believe in buying high quality products, and that's what I've done for nearly all of the components for my van.

This is just my personal opinion. Hopefully you can see my point.
I for one totally understand your thought process---its a wise approach I think.

On occasion I've bought something premium believing it would be long lasting or better performing than the lesser or lower cost thing. In too many cases that's not been the case so with input and reviews from forums like SMB making a good choice gets a bit easier.

When we're able to see something learning real-world experiences we're better informed, our expectations managed to a degree.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:56 AM   #19

I'm seeking to increase light created by the stock headlights. I replaced the faded out plastic headlight assembly which greatly increased the visual light .
Are their light bulbs I can use to replace the factory bulbs to again additional increase in the visual light?
2003 SMB 4X4 7.3 itching to hit the road again......I see AZ in my future.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:37 PM   #20

I'll say it again. Spending money on halogen bulbs is pissing money away. You can't improve it, it just makes them blue.

Drop in HID don't work either. It just blinds everyone on the road.

You gotta spend a few hundred to upgrade the lights on these vans.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote