Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #1

Adjusting gear indicator

I adjusted my gear position indicator about 6 months ago and noticed a week or so ago that the indicator was about one position low. I went to adjust it today after work, but rotating the gear under the dash didn't do anything. I turned it in both directions and there was no movement to the indicator on the dash. I noticed that it would kind of bottom out at either end, but I tried to keep turning it and it ended up kind of letting go of the white cap that made it bottom out. Is there something else that I should be looking at to get the indicator back on track?

In the pic below, the van is in park. When its in any other gear, it shows one position lower.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:42 PM   #2

Re: Adjusting gear indicator

After some internet research, it appears that I have broken the adjuster (the white piece that holds the tension). It looks like you can buy it from the dealer for about $30 which is what I'll probably end up doing. I'll have to look up how difficult it is to replace though.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:35 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Once the cluster is removed from the dash that part is easily replaced---it simply snaps into the clusters main shell. I've had several out for various reasons, one when investigating just what makes a '97 and later cluster work so to speak.

Here's a link to a thread on FTE I created: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...r-anatomy.html I may have other photos if they'd be of help or interest.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #4

Is there an easy fix for the "floppy PRNDL" problem that the econolines seem to suffer from? My lever has loads of slop in it, and pretty much all of the vans that I test drove did as well.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #5

Thanks for the link JWA. I'm not sure if your link shows how to actually remove the dash cluster (work computer wont allow me to see the pics), but if its too cumbersome, I may just have a shop do it.

I also have an issue with the shifter needing to be lifted into "P" to get the key into the off position and out. It goes into P fine as far as the gear goes, but releasing the key is the issue. Is that slop from the shifter (as Boywonder is describing) or is that an issue with the cylinder?
Old 05-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #6

Sounds like the same problem I was having on my '98 e350 mkracer. I could turn the ignition off and my keys wouldn't release and it wouldn't start back until I put pressure onto the shifter and lifted it back into park.I adjusted the gear and it seems to be very tight now with no problems.

Here is a pic boywonder of the gear mkracer is talking about.It worked for me.Its located right under the dash and center of the steering wheel.

thestoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:16 AM   #7
JWA

Okay so now we're talking three different problems now!

The position indicator is one, key not easily releasing from lock cylinder two and floppy shift lever three.

1. Removing cluster involves first removing the trim panel covering it which is easy if familiar with that type work. This is further complicated by the main headlight switch knob removal which can take one of two different paths. If such work seems beyond one's desire to dig into the dash board there's no shame in hiring it out.

2. Ignition key lock cylinder sometimes needs replacing due age and use or some other part inside the steering column needs adjusted/serviced. This can also be related to the floppy shift lever as there are bushings and bolts/screws holding the lever to the column superstructure. For the more adventurous and well endowed tool collection dropping the entire steering column just enough to gain full access to parts under the shroud this is fairly simple. (The column needs lowered only enough for the steering wheel to rest on the seat.)

I'll try finding an exploded drawing of the shift lever etc and mark it up but word of caution---this might take a day or so.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA

I'll try finding an exploded drawing of the shift lever etc and mark it up but word of caution---this might take a day or so.
no worries, I'll be in Moab/Sedona for a week.......

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #9

Yeah I'm not going to tackle the project of taking the column apart. I'll just have to deal with lifting the shifter to get the key out for the time being.

I was able to zip tie the adjustment mechanism to make it work again so I'm kind of happy about that. Funny how something like an indicator can drive you nuts.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:55 AM   #10
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Is there an easy fix for the "floppy PRNDL" problem that the econolines seem to suffer from? My lever has loads of slop in it, and pretty much all of the vans that I test drove did as well.
While I'm trying to locate a good drawing here's a link to a thread some might find helpful with the floppy problem :http://www.powerstrokenation.com/for...ad.php?t=77783

Even though it addresses an F-Series the columns are pretty much identical to the E-Series.