Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #1

Aftermarket Bumpers and Trans Coolers

Just looking at the aftermarket bumpers and my stock bumper and it seems as though there is awfully big air space right up front which the aftermarket bumpers don't quite have.

Anyone ever have issue with heating up the trans with these aftermarket bumpers?? I am guessing it's the trans cooler right there at the bottom.

Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #2

My transmission runs hotter than I'd like with my Aluminess, but I never had a Scangauge with a stock bumper, so I don't know if it's the bumper or the transmission.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

Thanks! Kind of makes me think I am on to something a little bit....maybe not.

But yeah, the mouth on my stock bumper is big and looks right into what I assume is the trans cooler, the one laid right on top of the normal radiator at the bottom there. Looks like the pre 2008's have the same type of inlet.

Hmmmmmmmm.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #4

I have a winch bumper of unknown origin, but my transmission temps seem to be really low according to my Scangauge. Too low actually, but the aux cooler seems to be in the air flow, don't know about Aluminuss though.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:44 PM   #5

Haven't noticed a difference on mine going from stock to winch bumper...

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #6

Garage
Trans temp should be unaffected by most bumpers since the secondary cooler is mounted high in the grill above most restrictions. Engine coolant temp could be adversely affected, but trans temp should remain the same.

As a point of interest, what temps do people consider too hot? I did a bit of work on mine and it runs well under 200º in every condition I've had it in (02 V10 4R100 with Tru-Cool)

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #7

I have no experience with bumpers. (Hanging on to my stock chrome bling!!) However I did use a billet grill for a while, and it flows measurably (in temperature) less air than the stock one. So I cut out what I had on the stock one to use it with my transmission cooler fans.

Those fans are still crucial for me while crawling up steep trails, but they do work well. They are not needed above about 25mph. I have not tried manually actuating the main fan clutch, but if one of my fans dies, I'll investigate that.

Other, perhaps useful info:

There are (at least) two ways to measure temp on the 4r100, plug in the pan and internal sensor on the exit. A scan-gauge or similar will read the internal one, which is the hottest
point.

It's not uncommon to see temps over 200 there, but I don't think they are great, certainly not for long periods. I wouldn't stress topping out at 200 or 210 for a moment at the end of a big climb. At roughly 230 the pan seal will start seeping, I don't know what happens if you don't let it cool down at that point.

Keep in mind that all of that experience is with my _previous_ transmission. The new one seems to not get as hot and cools much better, probably because it's not clogging the coolers or slipping.

I have yet to do any towing with my new transmission, but without, I'm at 130-160 when previously I was at 180-190. However, given a long enough hill and a heavy foot, temps can still be driven up.

I don't believe too low a temperature is an issue, unless you are under 120, and the transmission won't shift into overdrive, or lock up the converter. If so, put a bit of lexan over part of the cooler during the cold months.

I'm also on a v10, 4r100 (bts now) and the big tru-cool after the oil to water cooler.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #8

Using the scangauge, my 2010 E350 2wd with the stock trans cooler and front bumper runs 145degrees normal and 177degrees when I'm pulling the trailer. Motor temp runs from 195-200.
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #9

2013 EB50 V10 Aluminess bumper I regularly see 200 degree trans temps in the summer. Was the same for my 2004 RB50 diesel with Aluminess bumpers. Trans fluid was changed every 30k, plan to do the same with my V10. I do run with a surf fishing basket up front in the summer so air flow is disturbed some, although it does not block the grill. I had a MagHytec transmission pan on my old van but based just on comparison of temps with my new van, it doesn't seem to have made much difference compared to the stock pan.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:18 PM   #10

I've been sold on the idea that a bigger pan just buys you a couple more minutes, until you're left with more hot fluid that you can't cool down.

If I still end up having a problem on brutal trails, I'll go to a deep pan, but not without doing another (fan ventilated) cooler with a completely separate electric pump driving fluid too it from and back into the pan.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote