Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
In the event you do go that route a small note is the glass being curved will NOT directly transfer to an in-the-flat tracing when/if a panel were to be made that way.

I considered doing this to my van on the five windows I would be covering. I applied two-sided tape around the periphery of the windows and trimmed it flush with the glass edge. I then spread a heavy paper over the glass making sure to carefully match the curve before pressing it against the two-sided tape---trim the paper to match the glass shape.

Once this is done you have an accurate template from which a metal plate could be cut. One thing that kept me from doing this was my concocted method would have run a lot of money and time as I wanted the finished product to look like the deep tinted factory glass AND have the outer surface of the metal be flush with the body. That would not have been easy. I'd have had the panels painted a color resembling the tinted glass so it looked nice. That would have required the panels being painted and wet sanded and buffed before installation.

So naturally there's an easier way to do this if aestetics are NOT the main goal.

JRRedone if you do this please document your process and finished result--as best you can anyway. I know others here would be very interested.

TIA
Thanks for the advice

Hopefully before I start this project I get good news that somewhere out there someone is making these.
In the even that I don’t I will absolutely be documenting and posting.

jredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:23 PM   #12
Site Team

Why don't you reach out to the guy selling this van, and see if he built or bought his window blanks.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...per-25147.html

Herb
Old 12-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #13
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Why don't you reach out to the guy selling this van, and see if he built or bought his window blanks.

Herb
Yup that’s Batvan, but that window blank was made out of steel not aluminum. I saw it in person when he bought a used SMB top from me, it had the same contour of a widow. Very cool but also very heavy. He’s a craftsman for sure... I’m sure he’d be willing to help.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #14

What is the reason for the aluminum window replacement other than being able to mount something to it??
Old 12-25-2019, 10:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post

Herb
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
What is the reason for the aluminum window replacement other than being able to mount something to it??
I will definitely be reaching out to him.

It was always something on the “to do” list but never a priority. I’d like to go aluminum replacement to save weight since it would be for mounting some spare fuel/water rotopax and some maxxtrax, no other reason. My fixed side windows have been painted from the inside, insulated and covered. I Noticed with this rain we’ve been having in the Northeast A leak developed on the driver side. Seemed like an opportune time since I would be pulling the interior panels to get the window off and reseal.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:27 AM   #16

I see, yes, provides a mounting surface.

I also thought that it would provide a mounting surface for awning windows to provide improved ventilation. Not sure how it would look with the awning windows installed but I could imagine body color matched panels would give it a cargo van look.

Hope you find some place to roll form what you want.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:56 AM   #17

Garage
While he is seriously a master crafter, Brian had his window blank fabbed up here locally. He’s a member here but his build thread is on expo. Just search batvan in the van section. I remember he went over everything about that blank he had made. He has external mounts on it for his paddle boards. Definitely a cool setup.

I know where there’s a set of rear blanks right now if your interested. Not sure what material their made of but I assume steel. See link below for a couple of pix.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ors-24991.html
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #18

Yes I am interested pm on its way
Old 12-28-2019, 02:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
I see, yes, provides a mounting surface.

I also thought that it would provide a mounting surface for awning windows to provide improved ventilation. Not sure how it would look with the awning windows installed but I could imagine body color matched panels would give it a cargo van look.

Hope you find some place to roll form what you want.
I purchased a full set of window blanks from Opt Overland for my passenger EB. One reason was to provide a mounting surface. I also had planned to build up the interior side walls as if it was a cargo van (I didn't need side windows behind the 2nd row passenger seats) and it felt weird to me to wall over the windows. Plus, one of the windows started to leak, so why not just rip them all out and install the blanks? The blanks are flat (not curved like the glass). But since the blanks had holes to match the window hardware, it was not difficult to get the blanks to conform to the curve of the van.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0367.jpg  
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #20

That’s exactly what I want to do, too bad they no longer exist lol. I’m hoping for someone to magically respond that they have one for sale or that someone out there started making them