Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2024, 06:51 AM   #1

Are these noises caused by bad body mount?

Iím trying to diagnose a clunk coming from under my van. The suspension tech at Les Schwab couldnít find anything wrong. He said all the ball joints and everything are fine. I made a video of the sounds Iím hearing. This is from the front right. Could these be caused by a bad body mount? Thanks.

https://youtu.be/Dzi2ZXaRV_E

Old 05-26-2024, 07:17 AM   #2

Does not sound like a body mount to me.

Fender, inner liner, trailing arm, sway bar ??? - check bushings and welds. Sound tone sounds too high pitched to be a body related item.

I hate clunks and squeaks! Also, there is no way my wife would let be mount the Go Pro under the van while driving so kudos to you!!
Old 05-26-2024, 07:34 AM   #3

Garage
I just had the exact same issue 4 weeks ago on my BMW X5. 2 separate dealerships couldn’t figure it out, but a shop owned by a pair of German mechanics immediately diagnosed it as the control arms. Upon inspection the control arms seemed fine, but they were confident with their diagnosis. First we replaced lower, but it continued. It disappeared once the uppers were done.
The ‘clunk’ always happened as I was making turns, but also once I stopped and backed up or went slightly forward.
Might be the same for you????
Old 05-26-2024, 08:57 AM   #4

The clunking doesn’t seem to completely correlate with suspension motion.

Do you have the stock spare tire carrier in place? Is the tire on it? Sounds almost like something swinging around bumping into stuff.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:44 AM   #5

Yeah it sounds like an object is loose somewhere inside. Might completely empty the cabinets and lockers and see if it changes or goes away - no harm done.

I find many noises that these vans make a bit maddening. A bump in the road, or certain road surface can sound like a mechanical problem. Tires can get hot and start making new sounds.. all sorts of weird noises and combinations of conditions. 99% of the time there's not a thing wrong with the vehicle, but it sounds like there is.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:30 PM   #6

Thanks for all the speedy replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Does not sound like a body mount to me.

Fender, inner liner, trailing arm, sway bar ??? - check bushings and welds. Sound tone sounds too high pitched to be a body related item.

I hate clunks and squeaks! Also, there is no way my wife would let be mount the Go Pro under the van while driving so kudos to you!!
I completely disconnected sway bar a few weeks ago. No improvement. Will check some other places. I would think that the suspension guys were pretty thorough. They said they drove it all over trying to find it....I also hate clunks and squeaks and so does my wife!! She tolerates a lot of my BS (probably too much!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Might be the same for you????
Yeah, it's not always bump or rebound that does it. At the end of the video, even turning the wheels back to straight sort of "unloaded" whatever was loose and it let's out a pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Yeah it sounds like an object is loose somewhere inside. Might completely empty the cabinets and lockers and see if it changes or goes away - no harm done.
Good point on the something rolling around, but I'm sure this is outside since it gets way louder when the window is down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The clunking doesnít seem to completely correlate with suspension motion.
This. And it's driving me crazy. And hence the body mount hypothesis. Spare tire is under the van, but it's pretty tight. I was just rolling around under there.

Engine mount??? Trans mount is only about 20K miles old.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:16 AM   #7

I'm surprised no one has said steering box yet. I'm not saying that's what it is but certainly suspect. Mine makes all kinds of weird noises at 100k. Can't wait to get a Redhead under it.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 08:01 AM   #8

To my ear and eye, the clunk sounds different than a suspension steering component. Maybe a coil spring perch but the pitch and tone sound like a panel or mount some place. And it is not every time the suspension or steering moves. At 3:00 ish one of the body mounts is clearly visible and there is no movement. I do see some small coil sideways deflection when the suspension is being worked pretty good but the clunk comes with almost no deflection and almost no speed.

I was thinking items in an Aluminess bumper but I do not see pics of the van with other than stock. I would check front bumper mounts in the bumper and bumper frame mounts. Look inside the frame rail channels up front. Still would inspect fender mounting points, battery tray area, radiator and other cooling system mounts.

Next testing suggestion - use different camera mounting locations and find a down slope test road with bumps where the engine can be turned off and coast in neutral . Certainly does need hardly any speed to get the clunking to start. Also, a flashlight and careful area by area inspection.
Old 05-27-2024, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I'm surprised no one has said steering box yet. I'm not saying that's what it is but certainly suspect. Mine makes all kinds of weird noises at 100k. Can't wait to get a Redhead under it.
My Redhead is only about 20K miles old, but good suggestion. I will take a look at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Next testing suggestion - use different camera mounting locations and find a down slope test road with bumps where the engine can be turned off and coast in neutral.
Oooh, good idea. I will try that.
Old 05-28-2024, 04:41 AM   #10

Sometimes these type of noises can be difficult to pinpoint. You may need to invest in some Chassis ears so you can pinpoint where it is originating from.

https://steelmantools.com/products/w...tic-device-kit

https://steelmantools.com/products/w...pr_seq=uniform
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote