Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 12:05 AM   #21

Front Brakes Conversion Upgrade Kit 97 07 Ford E350 Rotors Calipers Pads Econoli | eBay

I would try contacting him, I offered 200.00 shipped for mine and he went for it, i was going to tell you try 175.00, but since they aren't currently listed, that may be a bad idea. He might have more, just hasn't listed them as I believe this is a 4x4 van converter from Florida......Good Luck! I can confirm they work on 95's as that is what mine is. A big thank you to Ramsey as he pointed out this easy swap to me

Slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
I've yet to try Raybestos on my E350s but I'd bet it's good.
I got Raybestos best rotors and pads on my earlier Sportsmobile and they were great.
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Bigger brakes will fit on 16" OEM wheels but not on many of the aftermarket alloy rims many of us have, for example, ATX Mojaves. Thus, the need to go to 17" or if you really get carried away then you need 20" to fit F550 rotors and calipers. Just looking for clarification as I'm planning to go to bigger brakes in the near future but was under the impression that I would need bigger wheels.
FWIW I shoehorned in F450 rotors and stock 08+ calipers on my kingpin dana 60 axle.....with 17" ATX mojaves......with a fair bit of guidance from BajaSportsmobile.

Brake mods start around this page....

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-10808-20.html
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
FWIW I shoehorned in F450 rotors and stock 08+ calipers on my kingpin dana 60 axle.....with 17" ATX mojaves......with a fair bit of guidance from BajaSportsmobile.

Brake mods start around this page....

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-10808-20.html
So, F450 are 14.53" rotors? I was under the impression you needed a 20" wheel to fit those but perhaps not since you went with 08+ E350 calipers?

I was also under the impression for those of us with an 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern it's easiest to just get E350 or E450 rotors. I think those are 13" but now I'm thoroughly confused. Maybe you need bigger wheels on the back of an F450 because the rear rotors are bigger than the front so if you went F and R then you'd need a 20 wheel since the rear rotor is 15.55"...bleh bleh.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #25

Quote:
So, F450 are 14.53" rotors? I was under the impression you needed a 20" wheel to fit those but perhaps not since you went with 08+ E350 calipers?

I was also under the impression for those of us with an 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern it's easiest to just get E350 or E450 rotors. I think those are 13" but now I'm thoroughly confused. Maybe you need bigger wheels on the back of an F450 because the rear rotors are bigger than the front so if you went F and R then you'd need a 20 wheel since the rear rotor is 15.55"...bleh bleh.

The F450 rotors fit 17" wheels (ATX Mojaves, anyway) with the stock 08+ calipers, which are somewhat low profile.....E350/450 rotors won't work as they are 2WD with integral wheel bearing races, etc...they are completely different if you have a 4WD setup.......

I had to drill new holes for 8 x 6.5 in the F450 rotors, as they are 8 x170 pattern. There is a good chance that F250 rotors may fit with 08+ calipers and 16" wheels.......you've have to re-drill those holes too....8 x 170
Old 05-25-2016, 12:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
The F450 rotors fit 17" wheels (ATX Mojaves, anyway) with the stock 08+ calipers, which are somewhat low profile.....E350/450 rotors won't work as they are 2WD with integral wheel bearing races, etc...they are completely different if you have a 4WD setup.......

I had to drill new holes for 8 x 6.5 in the F450 rotors, as they are 8 x170 pattern. There is a good chance that F250 rotors may fit with 08+ calipers and 16" wheels.......you've have to re-drill those holes too....8 x 170
Oh good point, duh So, you just need a milling machine with a rotary table to drill in between the existing holes at 6.5" diam? Do you also have to drill out the wheel centric opening to fit a dynatrac hub? Not sure if the ford hub on the 4x4 superdutys is the same, smaller, or bigger. And it doesn't make the rotor weaker (ie., slotted or cross-drilled) because the holes are not in the actual braking surface?

So, that's it in a nutshell. That is, there are no aftermarket rotor options for an 8 x 6.5 bolt circle that are 14.5" or whatever the F450 rotors are?

Sorry I'm such a noob but this is all rather confusing and we all have different rigs. Quigleys, Ujoints, SMBs, etc.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #27

Joe: Your questions are goods ones....I had similar ones when I started....that's where Ramsey helped out......made things move quicker.

The center hole of all of the rotors that I played with fit over the dana 60 hubs.....I imagine that if you have hubs that use std Warn lockers that diameter should be the same (I'm no 4WD expert either).

Yes, just a mill and a rotary table (and a few drill bits) to make 8x6.5" holes. The rotors are cast iron so they mill reasonably easily.

I have regular generic rotors, nothing slotted or drilled...they are just big. I can't imagine drilled or slotted would be a problem. Keep in mind that larger rotors have more thermal mass so they will heat up less for the same amount of braking energy than smaller rotors.

The F250 4WD rotors are close to the size of the stock 2008+ rotors, so the E series calipers fit the rotor quite well. The F450 rotors, being about an inch larger, end up having the brake pads not touching the inner 1/4" or so of the rotor surface around the hub.

To my knowledge, other than the Dodge rotors that I sourced, there are no other large dia rotors with 8 x 6.5" holes. Chevy's are 8 x 6.5 but nothing big would work..I spent a fair bit of time on rockauto.com looking at rotor dims for various trucks/vans/suburbans, etc.

Quote:
Oh good point, duh So, you just need a milling machine with a rotary table to drill in between the existing holes at 6.5" diam? Do you also have to drill out the wheel centric opening to fit a dynatrac hub? Not sure if the ford hub on the 4x4 superdutys is the same, smaller, or bigger. And it doesn't make the rotor weaker (ie., slotted or cross-drilled) because the holes are not in the actual braking surface?

So, that's it in a nutshell. That is, there are no aftermarket rotor options for an 8 x 6.5 bolt circle that are 14.5" or whatever the F450 rotors are?

Sorry I'm such a noob but this is all rather confusing and we all have different rigs. Quigleys, Ujoints, SMBs, etc.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #28

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
JoeH, I believe you have a 2WD E350 so none of the 4WD rotor and caliper options apply.

The 2008 on up calipers and rotors should be a direct replacement for you and fit in your 16 inch wheels.

Find a friend with a late model van and bolt your wheel on to confirm.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
JoeH, I believe you have a 2WD E350 so none of the 4WD rotor and caliper options apply.

The 2008 on up calipers and rotors should be a direct replacement for you and fit in your 16 inch wheels.

Find a friend with a late model van and bolt your wheel on to confirm.
Nope, I have a 2005 4x4 E350 with an SMB conversion so it's got a Dyntrac Prorock 60 front axle. It originally had Brakeman rotors with stock calipers. All I want is the 08+ brakes with bigger calipers and rotors knowing of course that I will also need to replace the steering knuckles.

From numerous posts on this forum I was under the impression that 16" aftermarket alloy wheels like the ATX Mojaves that I have would not fit with the 08+ brakes. It appears that's not the case.

I would go OEM on the calipers. I'm not sure an upgrade like the SSBC calipers is worth the cost and most benefit will be simply going to bigger discs and calipers with more clamping force. I may consider swapping out the Warn locking hubs for the Dynatrack hubs as well but need to research that one some more.

edit to add: thanks for the info guys!
Old 05-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #30

Quote:
All I want is the 08+ brakes with bigger calipers and rotors knowing of course that I will also need to replace the steering knuckles.
Why would you have to replace the steering knuckles?