Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2020, 04:07 PM   #1

Break-in Threat? High or low?

I have a 4x4 E350 extended body cargo, windows on the 60/40 doors and rear doors. It also has a 16" high top, bushwacker flares, nice wheels/tires, the van all white. Thinking about security in general. Obviously many more vehicles are broken into as apposed to stolen. Our vans are very unique ...does that attract the dirt bag's thoughts as to what maybe inside or is it a work van regardless of the mods and something like a Escalade or Vette is more likely to attract dirt bags?

Has your van been broken into parked out and about?
Has your van been broken into when camping?

Sorry to ask you to relive it but wondering about the vulnerability having never had a vehicle like this at all.

2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #2

Clearly, anything can happen. My totally empty E350 (no rear seats, no built-ins yet), was broken into sitting in my driveway in an upscale suburban neighborhood (not gated, but only one way in/out). They stole an old, empty Samsonite attache case. A few years ago thieves also broke into my pickup's camper shell (same driveway) and stole a battery charger.

Your's is going to be much more attractive than mine.

Conversely, I've never been broken into while camping since 1972, starting with a 1966 Econoline conversion, tents, two VW pop-tops, two travel trailers and a motorhome.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:24 PM   #3

Knock on wood, I've never had any issues. I have had a handful of trips where my alarm gave me "honk-honk-honk-honk" when I unlocked it, which indicates it was triggered. I assumed those were usually caused by somebody bumping into the van (and have on occasion found the pieces of taillight left behind) but I can't rule out an attempted break-in, presumably scared off by the alarm sounding.

I have had ammo cans stolen off the back, and a couple of gas cans. Gas cans now can be locked, but next mod will be a cargo box over the gas cans, so they can't be siphoned (i.e. gas cans will only be accessible when the carrier is swung open).
Old 05-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #4

Over my 40 years of owning vehicles I've been broken into 5 times and 1 truck stolen. None at home or near it...NFL games, night shift work decades ago, hotels and the stolen one from a friends apartment complex. The most recent of those incidents was 20 years ago but still seems shocking to think about it now. For sure, part of the fun for me on any vehicle is creating something unique/interesting but also use it, no garage queens. I hate to only use the van as a toy but something with such a huge hidden cargo area screams "lots of stuff inside". I'll take my chances with loosing a fridge or camping gear but hate the damage they do getting in or trying to get in.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:47 PM   #5

Garage
The only time we've been broken into was in San Antonio. They stole a container with some books and grabbed one half of a pair of radios we used to communicate with the people we were traveling with and the inside half of an inside outside temperature sensor. They also got an old laptop. I don't think they could have gotten much for what they got but it cost a bit to replace. This was in a downtown parking lot near the Alamo. I suppose a place near a tourist attraction like that, which attracts thousands of people a day, has the scumbags watching all the time. They did little damage breaking in, not even messing up the paint. The body shop was able to straighten the area around the lock and replace the lock without repainting. I guess I need to get a bolt lock and, in light of all the stolen vans in the last couple of years, a GPS tracker and fuel shut-off. I did get an alarm installed but you hear so many going off all the time now that I wonder if it would even be a deterrent.
_____
Roger
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #6

Steve, where are you in Florida, urban or suburban/remote? Almost all of the SMB's and Ford vans stolen are taken from metropolitan areas, mostly on the west coast where they are hot and also more popular. SF Bay area, Portland and Seattle comprise probably 3/4 of vans ever reported stolen here. San Diego and Denver speak for almost all of the rest.

Anything can happen anywhere. I had a motorcycle stolen off a trailer in broad daylight in a busy mall parking lot in Daytona, just across from the speedway.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Steve, where are you in Florida, urban or suburban/remote? Almost all of the SMB's and Ford vans stolen are taken from metropolitan areas, mostly on the west coast where they are hot and also more popular. SF Bay area, Portland and Seattle comprise probably 3/4 of vans ever reported stolen here. San Diego and Denver speak for almost all of the rest.

Anything can happen anywhere. I had a motorcycle stolen off a trailer in broad daylight in a busy mall parking lot in Daytona, just across from the speedway.
I'm 75 miles or so north of Daytona, 15 miles or so south of Jacksonville, yeah I maybe able to convince people around here that it's a Ford SVT concept rig.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #8

Many years ago I had two motorcycles stolen from my garage, but since then I've never had any issues. Never the less, I've had several friends who have either had their entire van stolen or broken into. In addition, I've posted way too many stolen van "shares" to this site. As a result, I am very careful and have several anti theft deterrent's. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it wont.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #9

Years ago I was "car" jacked in my truck, however never an issue with our SMB.
Botchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Many years ago I had two motorcycles stolen from my garage, but since then I've never had any issues. Never the less, I've had several friends who have either had their entire van stolen or broken into. In addition, I've posted way too many stolen van "shares" to this site. As a result, I am very careful and have several anti theft deterrent's. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it wont.
Where are you located? What anti-theft measures do think are most effective?
-I was wondering what "wire" i could intercept and put a simple hidden toggle switch on that would keep the van from starting.
-Also thinking about some wireless cameras with a motion alert to my phone...thinking i could use them for multiple applications like camping, home security, exterminating the armadillo that routinely destroys the yard etc. Haven't looked into it at all, just assuming it exist.