Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #1

Broken Side Window Operator

The operator on 2 of my side windows seem to be stripped. There is a round knob on inside which cranks out the lower window pane from the horizontal center (mfg=CR Laurence). Has anyone had to repair this before? I haven't checked with SMB yet.
Pat

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #2

Re: Broken Side Window Operator

Usually its the splines on the inside of the knob that strip. New knobs are cheap from any RV supply store.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #3

Unfortunately the knob and reach rod splines are fine. The window shaft just spins. I haven't looked real close but it looks like the window would have to be removed if it is repairable at all. At least it broke in the closed position. Curious that 2 happened simultaneously. I'll check Mfg too.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Typically crank out movable windows especially those added by aftermarket suppliers like C R Laurence are "cheap" and once they stop working properly its time to replace them. You can search the C R Laurence site under automotive/RV units and eventually call to get your price---this is where the "cheap" seems to disappear quickly though!!

Also check your local RV service outfits---they might have replacement crank assemblies for a good price.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Just replaced my gear housing on mine that was also striped. Ordered a replacement from SMB. Was not an easy swap as I had to remove all the trim panels, screws holding the window in place to lift the the entire window out and finally remove the old gear housing and replace it with the new one. Doable but tricky. Make sure you don't let the window drop out when you remove that last screw, mine was held in place pretty well by the weather strip being stuck to the van. Good luck...
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #6

Looks like an SMB call then. I checked the CRL site and couldn't even find the window much less repair parts.
Thanks for help.
Pat