Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #1

Buckstop Bumper

Often it seems, these forums are a sounding board for frustrations with vendors/converters/whoever, so I figured I'd help balance things out a little, with a positive post...

A little backstory: ~10 years ago when I gave my van it's extreme makeover (it was originally Enterprise white), I put on a Buckstop front bumper, and Reunel rear bumper.

I went with the Reunel over alluminess because I needed a heavier hitch receiver (it's rated for 6k tongue weight and 20k towing weight), and with it being integrated, it didn't detract any ground clearance.

Overall, the bumper & hitch parts worked very well, but the carriers not so much. The latching system was garbage, so not only was it hard to use, it also didn't keep thing tight enough to not rattle. So, I just used cam straps. Then, on California's wonderful Central Valley Hwy 99, the pax side carrier hinge fatigued and broke. Lastly, the paint on it was not durable at all.

So... fast forward to this year.... Buckstop re-released the Reunel rear carrier option. Reunel long went out of business, but Buckstop what was left, and made some substantial improvements. I asked if they could retrofit my old Reunel to their new carrier design, and powdercoat it the process. The original paint was nearly non existent at this point. They gave me a fair price for this work, so I stripped the bumper down and dropped it off.

After they sandblasted my bumper, they decided they didn't like the old weld quality and stopped work. Of course, I assumed I'd have to buy a new one, but they covered a NEW BUMPER ON THEIR DIME. Pretty phenomenal customer service to effectively warranty a bumper made 10 years ago by a company that doesn't exist.

As for the bumper itself, the carrier system is a 1000% improvement. The latches are regular automotive latches, and the pivots are some monstrous bearing assemblies. Also, on my new bumper, they build it with the over-size step option, which pushes the receiver out another 2". This will be just enough to keep the tongue jack from from kissing the spare tire.

Here's some preliminary pics, I still need to add the bumper lights. My old carrier had a cargo box with a jerry can carrier. This new rack has a double jerry-can carrier instead. I'll be mounting a new aluminum cargo box directly to the door on that side, over the jerry cans. I'll post the final pics in a couple weeks.

(I did forget to ask about a shovel holder, so it's just strapped on. Which is how it was before and works fine so I'll probably leave that as-is).

Anyways, I couldn't be happier with the work, and I'm glad they've brought back out the full Reunel lineup. They do have a little catchup to do on their websites, but apparently that's all being worked on now. So if you want something you don't see details, I'd give them a call.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6828.jpg   IMG_6827.jpg   IMG_6830.jpg   IMG_6832.jpg   IMG_6831.jpg  

Old 05-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #2

Garage
I like the whole set-up - well done. Curious what the weight rating is for those swing arms, those Pivot hinges look beefy.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

I'm not sure they've assigned a rating to the pivots, but my tire assembly and jack aren't light, and even on concrete freeways at 80+ MPH I get zero shake. And even better is that a hinge connection is not needed anymore. So the current bolt from the old carrier will be going away, and a proper hinge pin going back in.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #4

Nice setup CarringB. I wish I were closer to them (Buckstop) and I'd give them some business. I've long been a fan since my early Reunel front and rear bumpers and you clued me in awhile ago to Buckstop quality.

All the cool stuff is in Oregon.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:53 AM   #5

Garage
Awesome, the bumper does look great and so nice to hear a positive story.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #6

My experience with Buckstop isn’t so sweet.

I ordered a rear bumper with a swing out gas can holder & spare tire carrier from them last year. It arrived without any bumper mounting hardware or spare tire wheel studs, the powder coating is so crappy-rust is already forming in multiple areas, the gas can tray is solid metal with no drain holes so the water is trapped left to evaporate slowly, the tail light protectors restrict the rear doors from fully opening, it arrived with only one usable trailer safety chain hole in the bumper (so I had to have another one cut), there is no push tab to open swing away carrier (it came with only a piece of thin metal=painful to open/next to impossible to open for anyone who doesn’t know where tab is located), it came with back up sensor holes (myvan is a 2001=before back up sensors) so I have 4 ugly empty sensor holes.

And the bumper doesn’t come with any form of anti-slip/grip tape so it’s dangerous entering/exiting in wet weather...

I thought that these were incredibly stupid errors to make for a such a pricey bumper. Left me with a lot of work to do. Thinking of Line-Xing it...

Did you put your own tab on the swing away release carringb?
Stewgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #7

That's so weird. Do you have a pic of your bumper? I've never seen a Buckstop with a taillight guard. Your latch doesn't sound like theirs either. I've had both the new and old style latches, and neither are anything like you describe.

No, I didn't have to add anything to the latch. It came with the large release handle pictured.

Also super weird you ended up with sensor holes. What did they say when you contacted them?
Old 08-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #8

I had to buy the L bracket, to push on to open/unlock.
Stewgod is offline   Reply With Quote