Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #1

Cab Floor soaking wet, Help Please!!

I was in the process of doing the sienna seat swap using electric bases. I had removed the old seats, then i had to route a wire from the drivers side to the passenger side to power the new bases. I lifted the Vinyl flooring and the pading underneath was soaking wet. I mean drenched, it isnt antifreeze, but i pulled the heater plenum cover off on the passenger side and inspect the heater core for any signs of leaking, found nothing.

I ran a coat hanger threw the condensation drain tube to make sure it wasnt plugged. Im at a loss now, i cant find where its coming from and im suspecting that its coming in via the cowl or via a leaking windshield from all of the rain. It rained here for six days straight. There was so much water soaked into that pad i cant imagine what else would be causing it.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any else have this type of issue and find what the cause was? I guess i can go get a new windsheild installed so they can inspect everything while the windsheild is out. it almost had to be from a weeks worth of constant raining....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:47 PM   #2

Check the body seam at the top corners of the windshield. The seam sealer at the end ends of the gutter shrinks after a while, and a few of us (mostly with pop-tops, but also myself) have body stress cracks here. They are mostly concealed by the windshield trip, but since the gutters channel all water here, a crack here lets a LOT of water in.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:17 PM   #3

night time - shine a bright light into the cavities just forward of the windshield cowl. Go back inside the van and look up and see if can see light anywhere.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:20 PM   #4

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...eld-23414.html Post#3
Old 09-13-2020, 09:53 PM   #5

Ok, i will look for stress cracks and then do the flashlight trick tomorrow night. I was hoping i could just get the windshield yanked and resealed or something simple. It did rain for 6 days straight, but the volume of water that was inside was huge to saturate that entire pad. It was soaked on both sides of the cab floor. When i pulle dit out it was like wringing out a sponge. Then i hung it over the fence so the sun can dry it out.

Whatever is leaking has to be a huge leak i would think just going by how much water there was inside. Thanks for the tips, appreciate it, i will post back if i find anything.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:20 AM   #6

I had an issue like this once. I had someone take a garden hose and start low and work up while I watched inside. I found the drip chased it down to a specific area and found it was a weld bond on the chassis by the wiper.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #7

I had the same thing pop up while in extremely hot / humid area earlier this year. It was AC condensation running down the firewall and through a stress crack at a seam behind the carpet / pad in the passenger foot well area. I'll try to grab a photo of the area and post later. I cleaned the area and siliconed it and has been good since (but then again I'm not in the Belize jungle anymore!).

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #8

This is a common issue. In my case, by using a hose I was able to determine water was running down the inside fire wall from somewhere under the vent cowling under the windshield. This is an area that really hard to get to, but I tried to calk all the seams near the wiper mechanism. That slowed the leak, but water now pools in that area and eventually leaks in anyway. I did find that parking with the front of the van down hill really helped, but in my case it is clear the leak isn't from the windshield. Fortunately there hasn't been any rain in the last few months, so I need to keep working on this issue before winter.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:26 PM   #9

Here's where mine was leaking through the bottom of the firewall into passenger foot well. I could see the water coming through more on the left side (closer to engine) but I cleaned the entire seam and siliconed.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200914_143207.jpg   IMG_20200914_143221.jpg  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
Here's where mine was leaking through the bottom of the firewall into passenger foot well. I could see the water coming through more on the left side (closer to engine) but I cleaned the entire seam and siliconed.

Good luck!
Last year i did notice moisture on the passenger side floor. It wasnt much but it was damp. I wrote it off as condensation dripping from the AC and never gave it a second thought. I just told myself i needed to check if the drain tube was plugged with dog hair or something. Thanks for everyone giving me ideas to check. I will post back when i get it figured out.

If i end up yanking the dash to resolve the matter, do you think a newer dash will function properly in it? Its a 2004, i like the newer dash, i know it will bolt in place and everything, but i dont know if the gauges and heater controls and everything will work.