Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Site Team

Cabinet doors

I'm looking at making my galley module at least a little child proof. I was wondering if anyone had replaced their spring-loaded door pulls with a lock mechanism? Worst case, I'll drill a hole in the door and install a lock cylinder, but if there's an easy replacement for the door pull that has a lock, I'd prefer to go that route instead.

I figure preventing my son from accessing the plumbing and electrical (especially the inverter) wouldn't be a bad idea.

Herb

Old 08-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #2

I've seen some people use ones in houses that go on the inside and basically are just a lever that you have to push with your fingers- that way you keep the SMB mechanism and get "a little" child proof.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I've seen some people use ones in houses that go on the inside and basically are just a lever that you have to push with your fingers- that way you keep the SMB mechanism and get "a little" child proof.
Yeah, those are definitely an option. Believe me, I've installed a few in the past six months. I think these will be my fallback option if nothing else "more elegant" comes up.

Actually, those mechanisms would also keep the door from popping at least all the way open, when on rough terrain.

Herb
Old 08-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #4

We have a big drawer under our refrig (it's a custom floorplan) and the drawer is full of stuff - it used to pop open on every left hand turn. With two latches, it was too hard for my wife to open.

So, I got a latch for the SMB pantry. You have to pull the latch up and out for the door to open. It stays closed on all turns now.

I don't think it is very child proof, he could easily pull the latch and open the cabinet.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:38 PM   #5

My brother's Sprinter has all push/turn latches from SMB. Basically they sit flush until you push them and the knob pops out, then you either twist to open or push again to reset... they're more elegant but I'm not sure how child proof once he figures out how to work them.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Well I experimented with the child safety latches, but with the short cabinet doors (no more than a few inches), the angle the latch would rotate through makes it very hard to line up the corresponding fixed part of the latch.

I did find these keyed latches for sale at Boater's World (there's one very near my work), but they're kinda of pricey at $24.99 each. Same manufacturer as the latches I have in my galley module, so it looks like an elegant, if not expensive, plug and play solution.

Herb
Old 09-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
I did find these keyed latches for sale at Boater's World (there's one very near my work), but they're kinda of pricey at $24.99 each. Same manufacturer as the latches I have in my galley module, so it looks like an elegant, if not expensive, plug and play solution.

Herb
Maybe SMB could order these in bulk and have them available to us at a reasonable price. I think my non locking latches were only $8 each, installed. I'd love to retrofit some to these locking ones but not at $25 each.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNick
Maybe SMB could order these in bulk and have them available to us at a reasonable price. I think my non locking latches were only $8 each, installed. I'd love to retrofit some to these locking ones but not at $25 each.
That reasonable price would be $45 each would be my guess.