Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #1

Camburg lifted van

I got my van back from Camburg yesterday. They did a bent I-beam lift on it with General Grabber M/T tires on KMC wheels. I couldn't be any happier with how it turned out, but am already looking to do more to it. Going to get Camburg's front bumper with lights and skid plate, a rear tire carrier, some type of full length roof rack (with surf racks), and who knows what else done.

I have to admit I was a bit worried about lifting the van because it is equipped with the Advance Trac/RSC system. I have read about and been told about a lot of issues others have had when lifting a van that is equipped with Advance Trac/RSC. Inappropriate traction control activations seems to plague this setup. Prior to lifting the van I talked at length with Jerry at Camburg and some van owners who have Camburg's bent beam lift on traction control equipped vans and everyone assured me there were no issues. I guess I was worried because it would be just my luck to be the first one to have issues with it after spending the money and having it lifted.

I am very happy to report that there are absolutely no issues with it at all. After I picked up the van I did a very thorough test drive and I could not get the system to activate. I drove slow, fast, and everything in between around all different types of turns. I got on as many freeway cloverleafs as I could and drove as fast as I safely could to try and get the traction control to activate and it would not activate.

I snapped a quick picture of the van this morning before work. I will add more pictures later but wanted to show it off and report on how happy I am with Camburg, and would highly recommend their suspension to anyone looking to lift a 2WD Ford van.

ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #2

Re: Camburg lifted my van!

I am no suspension engineer so my guess is as good as anyones else's, but maybe the difference of moving the suspension pivot points down with drop down brackets versus bending the I-beams creates just enough of a difference in the roll/lean of the van to cause innappropriate activations of the traction control. Some may also wonder, the van still has the stock pitman arm.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #3

Looks Great!
I think that maybe your theory about the Pittman arm has some merit. I am no expert on this but it seems from what I've read here that the drop Pittman arm is mentioned along with the RSC issues. I don't know.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #4

ctimrun,
How many inches was the van lifted? What was the cost for the lift? I have been thinking about getting mine done but I'm not sure how high I'm going to go. I've seen the 6" lifts & they look pretty sharp.
Woot
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #5

I didn't even think to measure before lifting to get the total lift height. I think the lift is in the ballpark of 5-6". It was right around $3K installed. Here is a link to Camburg's web site with more info.... http://www.camburg.com/?p=408
Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #6

Thanks for the "inside" on your lift! It looks great & I'm glad you like it!
Woot.....
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #7

Looks good, nice van!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

I Like It!!!

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #9

Re: Camburg lifted van

Awesome van! I have always liked the all window vans!
Old 03-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #10

Re: Camburg lifted van

For a 2WD,, that is a great set up... love the look .
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote