Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2022, 11:58 AM   #1

Garage
Chassis Air Conditioning Pressures

Hi,
I have a Sportsmobile built in 1998 on a 1998 Ford E250 (5.4L) by the Fresno location. It has the Starcool system.

When the engine is under load, the van a/c system cooling drops off (not the Starcool) and blows warm air. I’ve had mechanics look at it, but they aren’t sure what pressure at which to charge the system since it apparently is connected to the Starcool system - they’re afraid of overcharging.

At what pressure should the van a/c system be charged? Is there a separate charge location for the Starcool system and, if so, where is that port?

Thank you.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:43 PM   #2

Greetings -- not sure of pressures - but I have the StarCool in my 2002 V10 EB SMB - and the TOTAL system requires 48 oz of freon. Most AC shops may only add 40 oz (not wanting to overcharge the system) - not enough - as the StarCool "shares" coolant from the chassis AC system. I was also told that the chassis AC can freeze up and the condenser/evaporator of the chassis system - causing the need to turn off/on the chassis AC for a few minutes to unfreeze the evap/condenser of the chassis.

At 20 years old - my entire AC system still blows out anywhere from 60 degrees -- and can then bump up to the 75 -80 degree level - then I turn off the chassis/control panel AC switch for maybe 3-4 minutes - the I can run the entire system again. PITA ! - but at least the system still works.
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:45 PM   #3

Oops - after reading again - I am confident that the StarCool does not have a separate "charge port" - as it shares the chassis freon charge --
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:15 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks, Doublevan2! That's what I assumed, but wanted to make sure.

I appreciate your help!
Old 01-30-2022, 02:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
My 2006 Starcool III plus the Ford 6.0 PSD system holds 72 ounces (4.5 pounds). They did make different models of the Starcool systems, and I don't know if each Ford AC system varies from year to year or engine to engine. If my system is low, the Ford dash system is noticeably warmer or takes longer to begin to feel slightly cooler than the outside air. If the system is extremely low, the air is usually hotter than the outside air.

There are just the two schrader valves on my rig for recharging/servicing.

I take it you don't have the Starcool documentation provided by SMB for your year?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 02:45 PM   #6

Garage
Thanks Daveb, I have the manual for the StarcoolIII, but I didn’t see anywhere that stated operating pressure..
Old 01-30-2022, 03:49 PM   #7

The other thing to remember is that for the front AC to work, the Starcool needs to be running.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote