Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2012, 03:41 AM   #1

Chrome Grill Pealing?

My 2008 Ford van has a chrome grill and bumpers... The grill is starting to bubble and peal away in a few places..
Is anyone else having this problem?I know some of the older Ford cars and trucks do it but my van just turned four years old...Has anyone had any success at painting chrome? I am thinking of having my vinyl guy put carbon fiber look on it..

Thanks...

2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #2

Re: Chrome Grill Pealing?

You could always go with the tough man Rhino lined look.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #3

Garage

I thought those years had the grey painted grilles. Never saw a chrome one. Probably a chrome look plastic. Since a lot of folks from that era (like me) installed the 'billet' grilles, SMB may still some stock Ford units laying around.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #4

Gnarvan thats an idea I hadnt thought of thought I have mixed feelings about texture on the outside of a vehicle but that would work well.

My girlfreind gives me a hard time for not really liking the trendy flat black (and other flat/mat colors) cars or even all black rims for that matter, I must be getting old.

Jeffery my year is the first year for the big (not as good looking as the 1992-2007 vans in my mind) truck like grill. Starting in 2008 when the vans got a face lift the standard painted bumpers and grill were black not gray and my van has the optional appearance package so chrome bumpers and grill. Since way back in the 60s vans (50s for trucks) have had standard painted bumpers and grills with optional chrome available.

You are correct about it being chrome plated plastic.At any rate there are no billet or custom grills for the 2008-2012 vans yet that I can find so its either buy a new Ford or aftermarket black grill for $300 plus or do something else. I was hoping someone on here would know how to strip chrome or something so I could paint it body colored to have something different as I think its to big looking in black or chrome. I also want to paint the rear license plate housing on the back door body color to change the looks.

I would do what my vinyl guy suggested the carbon fiber look but I am afraid the chrome will just keep pealing under the vinyl.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Sand it down and then shoot it with some spray paint designed for plastic. If you don't like how that turns out, then you could take some more drastic steps.

http://www.krylon.com/products/categories/plastic/

Herb
Old 06-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Sand it down and then shoot it with some spray paint designed for plastic. If you don't like how that turns out, then you could take some more drastic steps.

http://www.krylon.com/products/categories/plastic/

Herb
Good idea wrong link. That stuff is total crap for automotive application. It will not stand up to UV/being outside or the debris that gets thrown at the front of a vehicle. I tried that exact paint on my grill. You need automotive paint and a automotive clear coat to it so that it'll last.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote