Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2018, 04:20 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Club Wagon Owners: Need An Image Por Favor :)

Looking for a semi-specific image of:

1. 100% factory-original Club Wagon window van with full interior panels still in place, 1996 or later if possible.

2. Driver's side movable glass, the one right behind the drivers seat, two plastic latches

3. Need to see if the latches are bolted directly to the body OR if the interior trim adjacent to the latches is held in place by the base of the latches.

Sorry to be so picky---but y'all understand I'm sure!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:18 AM   #2

I don't have pics, but I have pulled my panels. The base of the latches is bolted to inserts in the body, and it does sandwich the trim, holding it more secure, but the trim would be held by clips anyways, even if the latch were not installed.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #3
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I don't have pics, but I have pulled my panels. The base of the latches is bolted to inserts in the body, and it does sandwich the trim, holding it more secure, but the trim would be held by clips anyways, even if the latch were not installed.
Okay that's what I needed to know CarringB!

I've removed all my interior and it will not be reinstalled but as imagined the latches somewhat rely on the extra thickness of the interior panel to hold the glass firmly against the flexible seal.

Thanks!

Marked this one "solved" please!
Old 11-30-2018, 08:23 AM   #4

They are basically the same type of latches as the pop-out rear windows, right? In cargo vans with the rear pop-outs, but no plastic trim, Ford installed a black plastic spacer with the latch to make up the space.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #5

^Yeah, I would plan on shimming it out as well, although there is a little bit of adjustment built into the latches.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
They are basically the same type of latches as the pop-out rear windows, right? In cargo vans with the rear pop-outs, but no plastic trim, Ford installed a black plastic spacer with the latch to make up the space.
They are 100% the same latches as used on the rear movable glass however their mounting scheme is very different. Rear doors used a nut plate inside the door shell that moved in and out to effect a tight and adjustable seal between glass and its seal mounted to the plastic spacer used to support the movable function.

The only real purpose for the black plastic spacer under the rear window latches is allow adjustment and NOT scratch the finish in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
^Yeah, I would plan on shimming it out as well, although there is a little bit of adjustment built into the latches.
I will indeed have to shim the latches since my interior trim is non-existent now. As things are now the stock latch mounting screws (M4 x 0.7) are too long for the application. The latch doesn't seal and I'm concerned trying to tighten them too much would puncture the outside seal and potentially burst the glass. FWIW IF that piece were available to me in the glass biz it'd cost upwards of $800 MY COST!

For the side glass there are thru holes in the body that align with threaded inserts in the spacer ring that holds the glass movable assembly to the body---this is butyl tape filled against the body. Once the assembly is in place and mounting bolts carefully drawn down the latches would sit on top of the trim piece and essentially clamp the latches to the spacer ring, interior trim panel and body metal in between it all.

Because I'll cover all side glass over with interior panels having the side glass latches snug becomes important as I don't want leaks and I don't want to have to access any of that glass once my build is completed.

Even so I'm building with the distant possibility of replacing the glass should that ever occur.

Thanks again guys--great help!
Old 12-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #7

I can text you pic's if still wanted/needed.
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:50 AM   #8

Pretty sure plastic trim is sandwiched between exposed latch base and the body metal. I do not have pics but I recall having to unscrew the latches to remove the window trims on our 2003 15 pass.

Hopefully someone with a passenger rig can snap a pic.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Pretty sure plastic trim is sandwiched between exposed latch base and the body metal. I do not have pics but I recall having to unscrew the latches to remove the window trims on our 2003 15 pass.

Hopefully someone with a passenger rig can snap a pic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by regis101 View Post
I can text you pic's if still wanted/needed.
I got this solved this morning thanks to y'all---placed several #10 flat washers between the latch base and the body, with new screws tightened it all down and its as good as it needs to be.

It's raining today so I'm able to leak check the re-install too.

Thanks everyone for the help---greatly appreciated!