Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #1

Deavers vs 2 wd lift kit or partial U Joint

Hi. I want to get a U Joint kit but the money is real tight right now because the economy sucks and I am currently doing a modified eb50 plan (less stuff than the full eb50 plan so weight would be lighter).

I want to explore other alternatives than U Joint before I pull the trigger. Starting with a stock 2005 e250 extended body. I am looking for ride comfort and a extra clearance. I plan on upgrading tires (from stock 225/r15) and adding an lsd or locker.

Which would be the better option for ride comfort and extra clearance. The deavers and upgraded shocks? Lift kit from Camburg or Action Van with the added shocks? Or do the U Joint conversion (in many steps) starting with front axle, front spring hangers with extra shocks?

Thanks.

wl1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #2

Re: Deavers vs 2 wd lift kit or partial U Joint

The lifted 2wd van should ride better than a van with a heavy front axle.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #3

There are a lot of things to consider. I made the mistake of doing a Camburg kit even though I knew down the road I wanted 4WD. I should have done the U Joint kit right from the start. If you have any desire to do 4X4 someday don't consider doing the 2WD lift from any mfg.

My Camburg kit was nice, but I was not real happy with the ride, especially when towing our wakeboard boat. The ride was really soft which made it soak up bumps quite well in a straight line, however cornering caused A LOT of lean especially while towing. There was also some bump steer with this setup.

The U Joint kit is very well thought out with a ton of options available to get specifically what you want. Mine is a 4 inch kit with Dynatrac steering that completely eliminated all bump steer. The ride is more firm than the Camburg kit, but the van will actually handle corners very well, as well as soak up bumps well too. I have had Deaver's in back for a while and I love the ride. I am having the front Deaver install finished tomorrow so I will report back after it is done.

I have a 15 passenger van so it is lighter than the SMB's and most vans here on the site. I hope this info was helpful.
ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Give Chris at U-Joint a call, and see if he doesn't have any recommendations for doing things in stages.

Herb
Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. It was all very helpful. I have traded emails with Chris earlier this year.
wl1193 is offline   Reply With Quote